X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 3300 Power Washer, Cat Pump

I recently purchased a Ridgid 3300 PSI Pressure Washer with a Model 3DNX27GSI Cat pump. The main reason I purchased this power washer over a competitors was that I wanted a pressure washer that included a Cat pump. I was disappointed that the manufacture (Rigid) did not include any info about the pump. They did include a socket type tool that appears to fit on the bottom of the pump, but they do not say what this is for in their product manual. I am assuming it is to change the pressure, but that is a guess. Also, on the top of the pump it had a sticker that said “Caution, remove oil cap lable and plug before starting pump” They did not mention this in their manual. I removed the little plug, but it appears that the oil will leak out of this whole. My main concern is that the pump had oil all over it when I unpacked the box. It also appears the oil is slightly below the red dot on the little round window on the side. I assume this means that the oil is low. Last, but not least there are no instructions on pump maintenance supplied with the pump. Does anyone have any knowledge on these pumps and how to service them?

Re: Ridgid 3300 Power Washer, Cat Pump

Well from the complaints that have surfaced with this unit over the last few months all I can say is GOOD LUCK. It's either hit or miss when you buy the 3300 from what most have to say. Must be some serious issues as HD dropped it from their lineup.

I'm sure there are some people here that can offer help as I don't own this machine and can't give you credible info on the pump. You could also e-mail CAT and ask them. If they can't answer you, nobody can. Later!

Comment

I own a Dewalt pw with the same model# CAT pump. I believe that CAT recommends the 1st oil change @ 50 hrs. and 500 hrs. thereafter. I've used Dewalt pump oil DP70 that is readily available @ home depot. Since you stated the oil level is just below the red dot you may want to add oil or just replace it all together. There should be a red drain plug located directly underneath the fill cap. Hope this information helps.

Comment

http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/3DNX25GSI.pdf

This may help you figure things out better.

Phone: (763) 780-5440
        Last edited by Woussko; 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
          Well from the complaints that have surfaced with this unit over the last few months all I can say is GOOD LUCK. It's either hit or miss when you buy the 3300 from what most have to say. Must be some serious issues as HD dropped it from their lineup.

I'm sure there are some people here that can offer help as I don't own this machine and can't give you credible info on the pump. You could also e-mail CAT and ask them. If they can't answer you, nobody can. Later!
          CAT pumps are not the problem ,they are only building the pump.
          When I first saw them on the Ridgid at the low price I though this will not last long, they will cheap out and replace the CAT with a cheaper pump. DW did it with my dp2850 , Any issues are going to be non CAT issues, engine or otherwise.
          CAT has a web site that has a lot of info even repair manuals. The site is a bit odd and not easily gone thru but there is actually alot of info there. I have called them in MN and the techs were very helpful. CAT does also make a synthetic blend of pump oil too.Very simple maintance, drain the oil using the bottom plug and refil thru the top one.

I have 2 CAT models on my DW PW's and both have honda commercial engines, 6.5hp,13hp. They always start with 1 pull and both have never had any problems. Be glad that you were able to buy the CAT as any other pump will be a downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            CAT pumps are not the problem ,they are only building the pump.
            When I first saw them on the Ridgid at the low price I though this will not last long, they will cheap out and replace the CAT with a cheaper pump. DW did it with my dp2850 , Any issues are going to be non CAT issues, engine or otherwise.
            CAT has a web site that has a lot of info even repair manuals. The site is a bit odd and not easily gone thru but there is actually alot of info there. I have called them in MN and the techs were very helpful. CAT does also make a synthetic blend of pump oil too.Very simple maintance, drain the oil using the bottom plug and refil thru the top one.

I have 2 CAT models on my DW PW's and both have honda commercial engines, 6.5hp,13hp. They always start with 1 pull and both have never had any problems. Be glad that you were able to buy the CAT as any other pump will be a downgrade.
            Anything other than a CAT is a downgrade? Yeah right.... That's like saying anything less than a Harley-Davidson is a downgrade..... When most of them are pieces of crap..... Only the owners of such things make such claims.....

I don't care if this is a CAT pump, still looks like a cheap derivative of their better pumps..... Claiming this machine to have 3300 psi when the pump only cranks out a max of 2850psi. Guess they do this by undersizing the hose and tips.

Like I said before, in person this machine looks awesome, but I think they rushed the building process maybe without proper testing. I say to all of you..... if you want a good pressure washer do a little research and buy something that is time tested..... LATER!

Comment

Shadow745 What is your point? Yes CAT is generally accepted to be the best pump and is certainly does not fit a not a HD MC analogy. Oh, if you want to know I own a BMW and ZX11 Kawi. BTW . I am not a brand loyal freak to anything.
              The pressure readings are at the manifold,which I said before, is not actual usable pressure. You need a pressure gauge, rpm meter and settings with the PW running under load should read at the outlet , actual pressure which is about 2600psi with a 3/8" 50' hose, 4.0 tip dia. 3gpm,w. a 6.5hp engine 3600rpm. That is what my DW does.
              Ridgid's issues are just that, their pressure claim is misleading, and it seems that QC is not good on the build. Does not surprise me in the least. Ridgid is not a top of the line tool company except in plumbing. They usually are a good value though. CAT does nothing but supply the pump. It is like complaining about my truck with a International Powerstoke engine in my F350 to International on a non engine build issue.
              I said I have 2 Honda/CAT DeWalt PW's so I am not promoting anything Ridgid here from personal experience. I have ZERO problems over several years with the CAT PW's. I went thru 2 AR pumps , 2 MDT and a Karcher , over the years.
              My stepbrother has a maintemce business and also uses CAT without any problems for over 20 years in his business. From what experience do you speak?
              Again , the CAT design/build is better and lasts longer than the competition. AR and General have good triplex pumps but a step below the CAT. I do not like any Axial cam, at all, had 2 MDT's that did not last a month. CAT does not make that type anyway.
              Ask a repair center if you do not believe me. How a manuf. hooks them up or how it is used is another issue.

And, what is with the "LATER" comment?

Comment

Hi Andrew-

I am interested in a pressure washer for residential use: driveway/patio, cleaning grills and cleaning the house exterior, among other things.

I want to get something with decent components, but I really can't sell a $1000 unit to my wife. I looked at some other washers: 1). Lowes (John Deere) - approx $699 2). Deere website (2400 psi, 2.4 ag/commercial w/ Subaru EX21 7.0hp and an AR solid ceramic piston pump) for $899 - little pricey, but the pump is triplex plunger w/ solid ceramic pistons and a 5r warranty.

This Ridgid, at $599, with the Subaru EX21 engine and CAT pump, appears to be a very good value for residential use. However, seems some are unhappy with the build. If I understand correctly, it is neither the engine, nor the pump, that are the problem, but the pairing of the two together? Would you recommend this washer? If so, are there any modifications that should be done to maximize the performance? I appreciate any help. Thanks much.

-Brad

Comment

I do not own a Ridgid,
                  but a DW DP3750 and DP 2800, Honda 13hp, 6.5 hp CAT pumps. Check Craigs list, I see PW's all the time there. The Subaru engine is supposed to be like the GX Honda but I do not know directly. I have zero issues with my PW's once I set them up correctly. The issues seem to be related to missing parts, setup and engine issues. Sounds like poor assembly as the components should be good. I tend to think these units are not fully tested/tuned before shipment.
                  The 3300 should be a good size for you as I would not go much smaller or you will have issues on cleaning larger areas. A rotary 0* nozzel is also a way of boosting performance.
                  I personally do not mind doing some fine tuning on tools if the price is a good value. For $600 you are not going to find a better value unless it is a clearance as I paid $300 for the DP2800 at a HD about 2 years ago. I use that PW the most as the DP3750 is for big jobs.

Comment

Andrew-

Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated. Take care.

-Brad

Comment

Working...
                    X