X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joelze

I have a compound sliding miter saw. The dust collection port seems to be a few inches above where it should be, causing most of the dust not to go in. Am I missing a part or something?
    Last edited by joelze; 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: Change Title

Re: Miter Saw Dust Collection Problem

No, all CMS are notoriously poor at dust collection.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: joelze

Hi Joelze,

Welcome to the forum!

As Badger Dave said, they're "notoriosly poor at dust collection". But, just in case... what kind/model of CMS do you have?

I have a Ridgid 10-inch and though it is really poor at dust collection, the dust port is directly in line with the bottom of the blade, where the teeth should throw the dust back into the port. Add to that, my model also has a soft rubber scoop or chute that is riveted in place at the bottom of the port, where it extends toward the blade. I guess the idea is to channel a bit more of the dust into the port.

But even then, there is just saw dust everywhere!

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-26-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

The saw is a ridgid 12 in cms model MS1290LZ.I think I need a scoop like yours. I connected a vacumm, and it still picks up hardly anything. The bag that came with the saw is a joke.

Comment

Yeah, the dust bag is about the quality of an old burlap potatoe bag. It does catch some of the debris but not much. I've tried using my shop vac and though it is a definite improvement, there's still an awful lot that ends up behind and below the CMS.

I have the same problem with my RAS. However, because it's use is more stationary, I've found using some kind of back drop will contain a lot of the dust where it falls behind the saw where it can be vac'd.

CWS

Comment

1. Joelze ... WELCOME to the forum

2. For a radial arm saw if you have a good dust collector (far more air flow CFM than a shop vac) get a sheet metal shop to make a huge funnel but square shape and connect the hose to it.

3. My old Delta miter saw had a totally worthless dust bag but when I did connect it (made special adapter) to my shop vac it makes very little dust about the room now. The blade guard and the air flow happened to work well.
            Last edited by Woussko; 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X