Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterize Ridgid 3000psi Pressure Washer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winterize Ridgid 3000psi Pressure Washer?

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
    My wife.
    I was thinking that on this end regarding my wife, but, I know better. (Also, she trolls on here once in a while, and that could get me in trouble!).

Love you honey!!!!!

Comment

diesel will really make them smoke good, my dad when he got older would fill the pickup with diesel ever now and then jsut to make the day more fun.

personal I think it only wise to "winterize" the pump when ever it gets below freezing, there are times I need mine in the dead of winter, and what about jetters, some of them are trailer mounted and they need to be winterized would be my guess in many instances.

There are many times a pressure washer, jetter will need to be transported in temperatures below freezing. I know I have used mine to thaw out iced up drains.

no that one should not be careful using antifreeze products but the pink RV antifreeze is not toxic, or will it destroy the kidneys of a animal or person that would some how ingest it, were the regular automotive antifreeze will poison one that ingest it. they are chemical different,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have the 3300 that I got from Home Depot and I simple
        loves this power washer.. I got it in June and it is my first
        PW... anyways, I want to know , when I got it I also bought
        a can of DeWalt Pressure Washer Pump Protector/Winterizer
        stuff that screws right into the pump and I guess you
        just spray it in there. not sure if I use the whole can or
        not , and also... is this just as good as the above product
        named above?

--Today I added a SenDEC Engine Hour meter to it --

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

Comment

I don't care what anyone says I have no intention to store anything with gasoline in the tank in any area where there is an ignition source, e.g a basement where a furnace operates. The risk of explosion from a leaking gas line is too great. The operative word here is store, relative to a car in a garage that would be checked on and/or used frequently.

I have never heard of the Pump Saver stuff. I have always used a setup I made like BHD described. I will try the stuff this winter.

A company I worked for did a lot of jetting and directional drilling during the winter. We just drained the tank and pipes, closed the valves and dumped anti-freeze in the lines. We tried windshield washer fluid a couple times when we ran out of anti-freeze but it didn't work very well. Condensation caused the valves to freeze overnight, I guess the windshield washer fluid couldn't overcome the condensation.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
            I have the 3300 that I got from Home Depot and I simple
            loves this power washer.. I got it in June and it is my first
            PW... anyways, I want to know , when I got it I also bought
            a can of DeWalt Pressure Washer Pump Protector/Winterizer
            not , and also... is this just as good as the above product
            named above?

--Today I added a SenDEC Engine Hour meter to it --

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

I personally think that "Pump Saver" is the best thing going as it's designed especially for pressure washer pumps. It not only protects them from freezing, but also incorporates lubricants that protect seals and against mineral buildup.

No you don't use the whole can. In fact it takes very little. Simply purge all water out of the pump (you can do this by turning the motor a few times without actually starting it) and then spray in just enough until it comes out of the pump outlet. That's it.... Later!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              diesel will really make them smoke good, my dad when he got older would fill the pickup with diesel ever now and then jsut to make the day more fun.
              See what you started BadgerDave?!!?!?

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
              ... anyways, I want to know , when I got it I also bought a can of DeWalt Pressure Washer Pump Protector/Winterizer
              not...
              Just read the instructions. And no, like Shadow745 said, you just use what's needed until the fluid runs out, just enough to fill up the pump portion (ie - you can probably use a standard can of the Pump Saver stuff for about 4 winterizings, maybe more.)

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
              I don't care what anyone says I have no intention to store anything with gasoline in the tank in any area where there is an ignition source, e.g a basement where a furnace operates. The risk of explosion from a leaking gas line is too great. The operative word here is store, relative to a car in a garage that would be checked on and/or used frequently.
              Um, that's why it says in a pressure washer's owner's manual, as well as in the instructions to most of these pump saver solutions, that if you are going to store a pressure washer inside, to be sure that all gas is removed from the fuel tank and lines, and that it is run dry, so there is no chance of fire/explosion. I know, I know, it's kind of common sense, but no one is asking/saying/recommending that you store anything with gasoline in the tank inside. And no, the relative word is not necessarily store - it's more about storing it to protect from freezing. Freezing of the pump is the more urgent issue. If it means storing it inside, then so be it, but you must do so safely, which includes removing all gas from the item, among other things.

And for those wondering about the BE Pump Saver stuff, here's a link to it on HD Canada's webpage:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

I'm pretty sure that the same stuff is for sale at U.S. HD's, but it could also be under the PowerCare product line name in the States. Either way, good stuff.

Comment

Finally, I have a chance to winterize the pressure washer today. I end up using all three different methods to winterize the water pump related
                components of the pressure washer: compressed air, anti-freeze, and "pump saver".

I need to use compressed air to remove water from the spray wand and the high pressure hose. I need to circulate anti-freeze into the transparent hoses connecting the detergent tank to the pump or the detergent bottle to the pump; I need to do this by injecting compressed air to the hoses to force anti-freeze to circulate the pump system. I also need to put a small amount of anti-freeze into the detergent tank. Finally, I use "pump saver" on the water pump.

I could have used anti-freeze alone and don't need compressed air or the pump saver. But then I would have to find a way to channel anti-freeze into the pump in place of water. I don't have a clear idea of how this could be done, and this doesn't seem to save me any time or money either. Therefore, I decide not to do this and stick with this three methods approach.

I store it outdoor in an unheated garage, and this is derivated from the suggestion in the owner manual. Therefore, I need to do all these to make sure water won't freeze inside the pump.

Another thing that I have derivated from the suggestion in the owner manual is to fill the fuel tank with treated fuel instead of leaving it empty. I heard somewhere that the idea of leaving the fuel tank empty was good when the fuel didn't contain ethanol; now that the fuel contains ethanol, we may be better off keeping the fuel tank full. This is OK with me because all my outdoor powered equipments are winterized in the same way with the fuel tank full without any problem, and they are stored in a detached shed that doesn't have any open flame. I shut off the fuel valve and run the machine out of fuel to remove any fuel from the carburetor. I believe this should be good enough to take care of the fuel system in the pressure washer.

I am posting this just to conclude this message thread.

Jay Chan

Comment

Working...
                X