Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterize Ridgid 3000psi Pressure Washer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterize Ridgid 3000psi Pressure Washer?

I would like to know the way to winterize a Ridgid 3000psi pressure washer if I store it outdoor in an unheated shad. According to the owner manual, I am supposed to store it in a heated environment. I am not sure if this instruction is complete or not. I am wondering if I can somehow fill the water pump and all the water channel with anti-freeze and then I may be able to store it in an unheated shad.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Re: Winterize Ridgid 3000psi Pressure Washer?

on my power washer (not Ridgid) I made a unit out of a funnel and a short piece of hose, and an garden hose connector end, and will fill the funnel with RV antifreeze, (I have quick connects, on the high pressure hose) with the pressure hose removed, I start the unit and let it pull the antifreeze into the pump and spit it out the hose connector, thus emptying the pump for the most part but what is left is the RV antifreeze, and I have not had it freeze up,

I do try to keep it in a heated area, but that does not alway happen.

I jsut empty out the hoses and drain the washer wand,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here are a few tips......

After the final use disconnect all hoses and drain them as much as possible. I even used compressed air to blow the water out of the hoses because my machine has a hose reel. I actually do this after every single use.

After the hoses are disconnected give the engine a few pulls to flush any excess water out of the pump. Just make sure the engine can't start, because running the pump dry for even a few seconds can kill it.

RV antifreeze is supposed to be OK, but I highly recommend you buying a product called Pump Saver. It can be found at Lowe's, HD, Sears, etc. and it is connected to the pump inlet, then sprayed into the pump until it comes out of the pump outlet. It not only winterizes it like antifreeze, but also lubricates the seals, plungers, etc. inside the pump to protect them from sticking and also protects against mineral buildup in the pump.

I'd like to add that the Pump Saver doesn't cost much (maybe $6-8) and will last a few years. I know it works as advertised as I recently used it in my first pressure washer purchased close to 10 years ago. I'd always taken care of it, but did nothing special to winterize it except for draining everything. Recently the plungers/seals started sticking a bit (due to wear and probably mineral buildup as we have well water with iron), so I sprayed some of the Pump Saver into it and let it sit a few weeks and it instantly showed improvement. Before the Pump Saver the machine did OK, but when going from low pressure to high pressure there was a delay until everything "kicked in", but after the treatment it was like new again. Just wish I had found it back when I bought the thing if it was even available then.

Be sure to drain the gun/wand as well.

Always add Sta-Bil to your gas as it keeps it fresh for quite awhile. Later!
      Last edited by shadow745; 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM.

Comment

The Owners Manual for my truck says I'm supposed to use a 89 octane rated gasoline in it, do you suppose I could use diesel fuel?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Meaning what?

Comment

B D

Come on, I know you better than to ask about putting Diesel fuel into the tank for a spark ignition engine made to run on gasoline. The 89 octane requirement means it's designed to run on PLUS rather than regular grade gasoline. If it runs well on regular don't worry, but it it pre-ignites (pings/knocks) then you best add a few gallons of super for now and then go with plus grade.

Update: B D knows all this stuff very well.
            Last edited by Woussko; 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

To the pressure washer.

A) Use gasoline treated with Sta-Bil as per instructions. You need to run the engine a few minutes after the tank has been filled. This is to work the treated fuel all the way through the engine's fuel system.

B) With the engine hot, change the oil in it.

C) "Pump Saver" is a good and worthwhile product.

If you don't use Pump Saver and go for antifreeze, use only the RV (pink) type. Pump Saver is more than just antifreeze. It has corrosion inhibitors and lubricants in it too. It's all setup for easy use. Just be careful to wrap the connection with a rag and be sure to have on goggles or a face shield as sometimes there can be sprayback. This is to play it safe and not get any in your eyes. Do wash your hands and put some newspapers on the floor under the pressure washer in case it leaks out. After a day or so get rid of the papers.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...56904-348-6039
              Last edited by Woussko; 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Yeah you can store it in a heated area, but most people don't have a wife that will let them bring power equipment into their homes. LOL......

Seriously, a heated garage or shed would be nice, but if you winterize the machine properly it'll be fine regardless of temperature. Later!

Comment

I second (or third, or fourth, whatever the case may be) the Pump Saver idea. Awesome stuff. Also, like has also been said, adding Sta-Bil to your gas is another huge advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    The Owners Manual for my truck says I'm supposed to use a 89 octane rated gasoline in it, do you suppose I could use diesel fuel?
                    Lord Almighty, BadgerDave!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't tell me that was a real question!!!! If so, I'll pay you $20 to try it, how's that?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      Lord Almighty, BadgerDave!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't tell me that was a real question!!!! If so, I'll pay you $20 to try it, how's that?
                      You can keep your $$$ canucksartech, I won't be needing it. My response was just a very bad attempt at a little sarcasm. I'm always puzzled when people choose to ignore the recommendation that the mfg. puts into their Owners Manuals and do something that the mfg. specifically said not to do. Of course, when the product fails down the road because they choose to ignore the manual, it always the fault of the @##$&$# mfg. and their crappy quality control.

Comment

Thanks for everyone who has replied. I appreciate that.

Seem like the pump-saver idea may be something that I need to look into first. I believe I saw it in HomeDepot hanging right next to the other pressure washer related products. The only thing that I don't quite understand is how to use pump saver to winterize the gun/wand. I kind of doubt that the pump saver has anything to do with winterizing the gun/wand. In that case, I may have to use an air compressor to push air out from the gun/wand.

The problem is that my air compressor is a 1-HP one-hot-dog type of air compressor. I am not sure if it is going to be powerful enough to push all the water out from the gun/wand. I am afarid that I may still need to fill the gun/wand with antifreeze; if this is the case, I may as well fill the pump with antifreeze and forget about the pump saver, right? I will try using my small air compressor sometime this weekend to see if it is good enough to force water out of the gun/wand. If the small air compressor is good enough, I will use pump saver. On the other hand, if it is not good enough, I will try using RV-antifreeze.

I have already been using gasoline that has already had fuel stablizer in it. The reason is that I don't expect to use the pressure washer that often during the year (may be 6 times a year). Therefore, I need to stablize the fuel regardless if I winterize it or not. That's why I didn't mention that. Moreover, I probably will drain all the fuel from the fuel tank and run the engine until all the fuel is gone before storing it over the winter.

Despite what the owner manual says about storing the pressure washer in a heated environment. I have a feeling that they are just trying to reduce any possibility of getting a pressure washer returned because someone was not properly winterize it. This is just like what the owner manual of Toyota Tundra says about not using this heavy duty truck to tow anything over 45 mph -- just to cover their behind.

Jay Chan

Comment

You only use the Pump Saver in the pump. The gun/wand can be drained by simply turning it upside down and squeezing the trigger until all water runs out. You can even install a ziptie around the trigger holding the valve open for the winter, so no water settles in it.

I'm sure the air compressor will be fine. Make sure the hose is disconnected from the pump and from the gun. Then just inject the air into one end of the high pressure hose until all the water is pushed out the other end. If this is too complicated take the hose off the machine and stretch it out across your driveway and gravity should take over.

I agree on what manufacturers say to do as it is done mostly to cover their butts.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            You can keep your $$$ canucksartech, I won't be needing it. My response was just a very bad attempt at a little sarcasm. I'm always puzzled when people choose to ignore the recommendation that the mfg. puts into their Owners Manuals and do something that the mfg. specifically said not to do. Of course, when the product fails down the road because they choose to ignore the manual, it always the fault of the @##$&$# mfg. and their crappy quality control.
                            Whew! Thanks, BD, I'm glad that wasn't real. I figured it wasn't, but then again, I didn't see any "smileys" in that post to indicate otherwise. I'm almost too used to them now, to help in indicating connotation.

Diesel in a gasoline engine! Who in their right mind would do that.....

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              Diesel in a gasoline engine! Who in their right mind would do that.....
                              My wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X