X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch 36V or Milwaukee 28V?

Thinking of upgrading. Anyone use either of these? Which would you choose? Are they equal or is one better than the other?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Bosch 36V or Milwaukee 28V?

Milwaukee V28

I've had it for almost 2 years and it's awesome.

Bigger selection of tools available compared to the Bosch.

Circular saw, recip, drill, impact wrench, radio, cordless shop vac, are what I have and they are all incredible.

They also have an angle grinder, right angle drill, and metal cutting saw available in the line as well.

Unlike other lines(Ridgid 24), Milwaukee has kept and expanded the 28 volt line which makes me a long term user and believer.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

For 28v+ I'd stick to Milwaukee or Dewalt. They're the only ones with a nice broad range of useful tools. Bosch 36v looks like they are great tools and I've seen good reviews but they seem somewhat rare and are limited to just the basic tools.

Comment

I would probably go with Milwaukee for the same reasons. Bosch doesn't seem to be doing much with their line, and it's been out forever now, they've had their chance. In fact nothing in any of Bosch's cordless lines really gets me excited. DeWalt also has a decent selection in their 36V as well, comparable to Milwaukee's, but I'm kind of disappointed in them too for not doing more and for the premium price they charged to buy into it. Instead they also released a 28V line which I think was pretty pointless.

But overall, I don't think anything above 18V has sold as much as the companies would have liked, that's why none of them are doing too much. Plus with the market problems at the moment I don't think there's too much incentive to go spending millions more in tool development at the moment.

Comment

I've had the Milwaukee V28 for three years now and I'm happy with it. I've seen decent reviews on the Bosch, but I don't know anyone who has them. I would also consider the Milwaukee V18. They weren't out when I bought my V28 set. They are a little less powerful, but smaller, lighter and cost less. The batteries are nearly half the cost of the 28 volt.

Comment

I've got an 18 volt Ridgid compact drill which is great for driving screws - I use it more than my Milwaukee V28 drill. But I can't imagine using 18 volt for a recip or circular saw. I'm spoiled by the 28 volt. As well, I can't imagine anything less than the 28 volt impact wrench that I have - covers the gamut from lag bolts to lug nuts. I know, I know, an 18 volt impact driver is good for driving screws and bolts. But I like having a range of choice with the 28 volt.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

go with bosch. choose quality over quantity. i've heard too many complaints about milwaukee 28v battery.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
                go with bosch. choose quality over quantity. i've heard too many complaints about milwaukee 28v battery.
                Wrench, do you own or know someone that owns the Bosch 36V? What's good and bad about it?

J.C.

Comment

I have the Bosch 36v hammer drill and love it, batteries last long, has tons of power, sold my Ridgid 24v for it and am so glad I did, just a better built tool, I looked at the 28v Milwaukee but found the Bosch a little cheaper. You can get the drill, charger and 2 batteries on ebay for under $200 all the time. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140263543782

Comment

I would go with the Milwaukee V28.

I've had my V28 4 piece set (Drill/Circ saw/Sawzall/Light) for pretty much exactly 2 years now and every tool has seen solid use and worked flawlessly. If I had to go shopping again today with all the Lithium Ion competition now available compared to when I bought mine, I would still buy the V28 set again.

Before I bought this set I used to use a 14.4 DeWalt XRP Drill/Driver with the hammer drill function. I thought nothing could beat this drill (I'm not talking strictly power here) until I tried the Milwaukee V28. I've also borrowed guys I worked with's othere drills and used a DeWalt XRP 18 Volt Drill/Driver like the one I owned, as well as a Ridgid Drill. The Milwaukee V28 Drill is just so much smoother than the DeWalt offerings, and it just does all the little things right. Aesthetics, balance, power, and a smooth, even & strong heavy duty chuck.

Nothing can touch ANY Milwaukee sawzall, period, and this holds true for the V28 sawzall. Milwaukee has the sawzall market cornered and this is just another fine example why. I got an 1 1/8" stroke with a 0-2000 speed for metal cutting or 0-3000 for wood cutting (2 speeds). I tried a DeWalt 36 Volt Lithium Ion on a site a few monthes ago and it had 0-3000 and while it seemed to have plenty of power it vibrated a hell of a lot more than my Milwaukee V28 sawzall. The Milwaukee's blade holding system is also superior to the Dewalt offering as an example - can't compare it to Bosch's as I do not know what there's is like.

The only thing I wonder about is the Circular saw comparison. I would say My Circ saw is great for my application as a PLumber where I do a bit of ripping plywood and cutting 2x4's for various backing I install for pipes, diverters, and other plumbing components/parts. I really like my rip fence which I use from time to time to rip plywood backing, and it has plenty of power to rip 2x4's or plywood. The only issue is a 6 1/2" blade, but as plumbers that doesn't concern me as it will do 2x4's on the 45 or 90 without issue. I know the DeWalt 36 Volt as an example, not sure of the Bosch, has a 7 1/4" full size blade on their 36 Volt circ saw. I know when MIlwaukee elected to stay with a 6 1/2" blade like 18 volt saws, it was because when they ran the V28 with a 7 1/4" blade it felt too much like an 18 volt saw in power. So the 6 1/2" blade seriously lets you exploit the 28 volt battery power, plus again as a plumber you're probably not looking for huge cutting depth - the 6 1/2" blade will have more than enough - we're only talking about 3/8's of an inch here anyways (3/4 = 2 x 3/8's).

The Milwaukee flashlight is one of my used tools. It's bright, will light up an area as a work light, and in power outages at my house, if I point it at a hall mirror it almost lights up the entire house of the 1200 sq.foot 3 bedroom rancher I live in.

The biggest thing that Milwaukee will have over the Bosch is a few things:

1) Probably lighter weight I would imagine - 28 Volt versus 36 volt.

2) The charger indiactor on the batteries which the V28 has. I use the charger indicator ALL THE TIME. It is a great feature. There's a few things I like about it: If I'm going up a few flights of stairs to do some work, it's nice to have a boo at the battery life to get an idea if I will need to take an extra battery or not. Another thing nice about the battery charger indicator is it helps me rotate my batteries so they get equal use. I always try and use up the charge of the battery with the lowest charge left, that way my batteries get equal use.

3) The V28 tool line up is excellent if you are a plumber. I also bought the V28 Right angle drill a few monthes ago and couldn't be happier with it for drilling holes for water lines and it'll hold it's own up to about 2 9/16's for drainage. They have a V28 true SDS hammer drill with chipping mode, a V28 Grinder, a V28 metal Cutting saw, a V28 bandsaw, etc. This is one reason I elected to go with the V28 because when I bought it, I knew that Milwaukee was testing all of these tools for development so I knew it was only a matter of time before they came out. They also have an Impact Wrench & driver if you're turning lugs or big lags or whatever.

Comment

I'm into 3-1/2 years on my Milwaukee batteries and haven't had a problem. They've lost a little kick, but they're still strong enough. I've got several Bosch tools and love them too, so I don't think you'll regret buying either one.

Comment

So did you get the Bosch or the Milwaukee? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                          So did you get the Bosch or the Milwaukee? Inquiring minds want to know!
                          I'll post when I do make a change. Thanks

J.C.

Comment

I haven't really heard anything bad about any one manufacturers lithium-ion equipment, I guess with the exception of the early Ridgid battery tripping problem which seems to be long fixed. If choosing based on battery technology and quality Dewalt would be hard to beat since they have exclusive rights to A123 batteries.

Comment

And the company that designed and manufacturers the cells for Milwaukee V28 batteries is about a 10 minute drive away from me right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X