X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Li-ion kits

Hello all, read the forum for quite a while, but newly registered.

I'm shopping to upgrade my cordless tools (over the old Firestorm Crap I've survived on for 10 years). The three brands that have seemed to review the best and that I like the feel/look of the best are Makita, Hitachi, and DeWalt.

In order, the tools I am interested in are:

Drill/Driver
    HammerDrill/Driver (just learned about this tool, sounds great for all the woodworking and light construction I do)
    Circular Saw
    Jigsaw
    Reciprocating Saw
    Etc....

Important factors for each are power, performance (battery run time), and weight/comfort.

Does anyone here have any feedback on the above? Which combo kits might have the best bang for buck?

Or should I mix it up and hit a drill/hammerdrill combo for part and buy the others seperately in a different brand?

There seem to be lots of deals out there right now. One additional consideration is buying something like the Dewalt XRP kits on clearance and buy the Nano batteries seperately, could still be a cheaper option to go Li-ion.

I appreciate any insight you all have!
    Last edited by Gator Tim; 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM.

Re: 18V Li-ion kits

Have you had a chance to look at either the new Milwaukee M18 ($549) or Bosch ($525) Lithium Ion 18 volt tool kits which are both out this month? The stats kill the dewalt. Only problem is neither will have a jigsaw until 1st Q 2009.
    Jay
    Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
    Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gator.........
      When it comes to replacing those expensive lithium ion batteries (at around $100 a pop replacement apprx every 2 years) you might want to consider Ridgid who replaces them FREE under their Lifetime Service Agreement. We have used Ridgid 24V and 18V LI tools in our company for the last two years. We have around 40 of them and they are used and abused hard every day and have held up well.
      We use the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill which I believe may be the best cordless drill available today.

You do understand that the "hammer" drill is only usable when drilling concrete, granite or other agregate. It becomes a very heavy regular drill for wood or other materials.

Impact tool-Great for driving screws. Has replaced the drill driver for most professionals. Much faster and easier on the elbow. The 18V Ridgid is OK, the Makita compact somewhat better although there have been some durability issues reported on this forum.

Circular saw-We use the Ridgid 24V LI circ saw and based on its performance I would think the 18 would be challenged. I have read a comparison that the 18V LI Makita is very good.

We use the Ridgid 18V jig saw and it is an excellent tool.

We use the Ridgid 24V Recip saw and I would expect the 18V to be a good tool.

I don't like mixing very many brands due to the incompatability of the batteries between brands. Staying with one brand requires some tradeoffs in performance of some tools however one can use 2-4 batteries across all tools which helps insure a full day of performance with minimal charging.

I have yet to see a DeWalt Nano battery at a HD, Lowe's or indepedent in our area.
      Good luck with your choices. Let us know how it goes. That's how this thing works.........Ray
      Last edited by roadrashray; 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
        Have you had a chance to look at either the new Milwaukee M18 ($549) or Bosch ($525) Lithium Ion 18 volt tool kits which are both out this month? The stats kill the dewalt. Only problem is neither will have a jigsaw until 1st Q 2009.
        Jay - Question on the M12 kit with the saw and driver. If I buy that kit, do I still get the impact driver for free as part of the 2 for 1 rebate offer?

Comment

On the M12 rebates the kits do not apply to get the free impact tool. The mail-in rebates are normally pretty strict and if anything is off, no tool. You would need to get the Hackzall and something else individually. The only way it is a really good deal is if you get the Hackzall and Copper Cutter. The other combo kits are pretty good deals already and you get the tools right then.
          Jay
          Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid

Comment

So assuming I also want the light, probably the best deal would be to get the kit with the driver, impact, and light and also get the sawzall kit. Together that would give me the impact, driver, sawzall, light, 4 batteries and two chargers for $378. Do I have that right?

Comment

Looks right to me, and no waiting around for mail-in rebates that way.
              Jay
              Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid

Comment

Working...
              X