X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid TS

I got a Wood Magazine newsletter today, with an article on new tools. Included was a new Ridgid TS with a granite top. (The link to the article is tied up with some personal identity coding, so I can't give it here, and I didn't find the article using the normal menu options, etc. – Sorry.)

The article said the new TS is a hybrid, comes with the granite top, mobile base. It looks to have a T-square type fence and riving knife. The model no. is R4511, a price of $600 and is said to replace the TS3650/3660.

Its not on the Ridgid web site yet.

Anyone else seen this item.
    Dick

Re: New Ridgid TS

Hi Dick - Glad to see Ridgid finally getting around to offering a hybrid. Every other major player has had one for a while. It looks to be a beauty for the MSRP of $600. It appears to have some relationship with the Steel City/Orion hybrids. At that price, it should compete very well with the Orion made Craftsman 22114 at $750 with an aluminum fence and no mobile base...wonder if the R4511 has cabinet mounted trunnions like the other Orion hybrids?

Last edited by hewood; 10-03-2008, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Incase anyway hasn't seen it here's a picture

Hope thats okay!

Comment

Well talk about a minute late huh! Sorry about the double pictures

Comment

Can anybody post the link?
          thanks

Comment

I wonder if the fence has a micro-adjuster or if you've got to use the bump method.

Comment

I like the granite top and from the photo it looks like it has a Bob D. designed dust collection system.

Comment

Sure looks good, granite top ? about time Had it with iron tops and rust and warping. now I wish I had waited a little while longer ..oh well.
                But not all so called hybrid saws have the cabinet mounted trunnions in which case, it would be just another (Awesome granite top ) contractor saw with covered motor. Onward with drooling

Comment

I'm going to make an educated guess that they are cabinet mounted trunnions. I don't think they would attempt to hang that off of the granite top. Looks like a very sweet saw for 600.00 if that holds true. Jim.
                  At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Other than adjustment table mounted trunnions are better than cabinet mounted. However since this saw has a granite top my guess is it would have cabinet mounted trunnions.

The reason cabinet mounted trunnions are prized is not because of where the trunnion mounts but for the fact they didn't heel the blade when the blade was cranked over to to cut a bevel. And since most people mistakenly moved the trunnions to fix the problem it was assumed the trunnions mounted on the table was the fault.

However what the problem actually was, is the multi piece support that holds the arbor and is hung between the two trunnions. This support on most saws was built from castings, steel tubes or pipe and many many connections. These connections would loosen and when the saw blade was tilted the whole assembly would rack and cause the blade to heel (come out of parallel with the rip fence). Sometimes when the blade was cranked back to 90 degrees the racking would correct itself however usually the blade was out of parallel and the normal fix was to adjust the trunnion. This worked until the next time the blade was angled. Soon people connected the problem to the trunnion shifting and blamed it on the trunnion being mounted on the table.

Ridgid knew of the problem and designed a one piece casting to support the arbor and to hang between the trunnions, that is why 3650 never heeled the blade when it was angled.

However manufactures like Sears and Steel city when they built their hybreds decided to use the multipiece support commonly found in contractor saws. While many people sang the praises of the Sears saw it actually was inferior to the Ridgid 3650 design in arbor support.

I hope Ridgid kept that same design in this new saw, if so this saw in my book will be head and shoulders above the Sears and Steel city saws.
                    reved
                    Rev Ed

Comment

Other than adjustment table mounted trunnions are better than cabinet mounted.

Table mounted trunnions have several design issues. One of which is when adjusting the back trunnions in order to parallel the blade to miter track, you have to also watch and adjust the distance between the rear and front trunnions and keep them 100% parallel as well otherwise when you tilt your saw you will run into problems.

If this saw has indeed cabinet mounted trunnions, it would set new standards and be the best hybrid saw out there. From what I see from the pictures , the only weak point of this saw is the anti-kickback spreader. Should have been the snap-in type the raises and lowers with the blade and not behind the table mount type.

Comment

RevEd

Thank you for the explanation, that made sense. I am researching table saws and was going to get the TS3660 untill I heard about the new R4511. I now will set back and watch for a while to see if this new saw is better than the old design or not.

I have used an old Craftsman for many years, I got it from an uncle that bought it around 1956 and used it in his carpentry business untill he retired.

Thanks again, for the good info for a newbe.

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                        Other than adjustment table mounted trunnions are better than cabinet mounted. However since this saw has a granite top my guess is it would have cabinet mounted trunnions.

The reason cabinet mounted trunnions are prized is not because of where the trunnion mounts but for the fact they didn't heel the blade when the blade was cranked over to to cut a bevel. And since most people mistakenly moved the trunnions to fix the problem it was assumed the trunnions mounted on the table was the fault.

However what the problem actually was, is the multi piece support that holds the arbor and is hung between the two trunnions. This support on most saws was built from castings, steel tubes or pipe and many many connections. These connections would loosen and when the saw blade was tilted the whole assembly would rack and cause the blade to heel (come out of parallel with the rip fence). Sometimes when the blade was cranked back to 90 degrees the racking would correct itself however usually the blade was out of parallel and the normal fix was to adjust the trunnion. This worked until the next time the blade was angled. Soon people connected the problem to the trunnion shifting and blamed it on the trunnion being mounted on the table.

Ridgid knew of the problem and designed a one piece casting to support the arbor and to hang between the trunnions, that is why 3650 never heeled the blade when it was angled.

However manufactures like Sears and Steel city when they built their hybreds decided to use the multipiece support commonly found in contractor saws. While many people sang the praises of the Sears saw it actually was inferior to the Ridgid 3650 design in arbor support.

I hope Ridgid kept that same design in this new saw, if so this saw in my book will be head and shoulders above the Sears and Steel city saws.
                        reved
                        Jerry

Comment

go to ridgid.com and search r4511. They have an expanded list of features, including cabinet mounted trunnions.

Comment

I wonder if the rails could be moved over to the right?
                            I need 36" rip capacity (ok, 34 1/2") when building cabnets.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry86 View Post
                              I wonder if the rails could be moved over to the right?
                              I need 36" rip capacity (ok, 34 1/2") when building cabnets.
                              With most steel t-square designs you can move them. Just leave the support bracket attached according to the instructions, and slide only the rail tube over. I've done ~ 10" on two others, which is essentially the spacing of one bolt hole...so I didn't need to drill anything. Just be sure that the each rail piece has at least two bolts holding it in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X