X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandsaws

i have seen good reviews even on this forum for the grizzley 14 inch bandsaw. i have also seen reviews of the 14 inch ridgid, some of which were not very impressive. i wonder if people who own either would mind telling me what they think?

Re: bandsaws

Save up your money and get a 16 or 17" BS.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

i dont have enough room but still want a bandsaw.

Comment

For many, myself included, a 14" bandsaw is all the saw I'll ever need. My bandsaw, Rikon 10-325, has the capability and capacities to handle everything from small delicate work to resawing up to 13". If you feel that you will be doing a fair amount of resawing then I'd suggest that you consider one of the 14" saws with a 1½ HP motor or larger such as the Rikon or the Grizzly G0555X to name two. If you don't foresee yourself needing all that power then there are a bunch of saws n the 1HP range that will do the job nicely for less money, the Grizzly G0555 being one.

Pay attention to what accessories come with the saw. A bare bones bandsaws price may look attractive but by the time you get done adding a fence and other accessories your final cost could be higher than a saw that comes equipped with those already.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD

you have a super nice bandsaw! i do have a ryobi 9 inch benchtop. im thinking of taking it back to hd, its within 90 days. the bolts on it were stripped and the screws were a phillips but my phillips actually rouded out the screws. also i cant tension the blade tight enough to cut a half straight line to make featherboards. also the blade guides will move at least 3/8 inch and that doesnt give any help in cutting a straight line. i dont have the original box, will they take it back under the 90 day satisfaction warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
            .......... will they take it back under the 90 day satisfaction warranty?
            According to this, they will.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

thank you for the help Badger Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                i have seen good reviews even on this forum for the grizzley 14 inch bandsaw. i have also seen reviews of the 14 inch ridgid, some of which were not very impressive. i wonder if people who own either would mind telling me what they think?
                I just posted a lengthy (and positive) reveiw of the Ridgid band saw in the tool-review section. I also explained how I modified the unit to bring it up to solid woodworking standards. It is a good saw, but it does need work to behave properly.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Howard

i will go check out the post you posted. its good to hear from someone only 90 miles away. thank you.
                  levon

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
                    I just posted a lengthy (and positive) reveiw of the Ridgid band saw in the tool-review section. I also explained how I modified the unit to bring it up to solid woodworking standards. It is a good saw, but it does need work to behave properly.

Howard Ferstler
                    I have not read Howard's review but, in the 14 inch CI lower price area, look at Grizzly and Jet. Seems to me the best bang for the buck. I can not imagine why anyone would spend money on a new tool knowing they will have to fork out more in order to make the thing work properly. I discount the fence, it is not necessary to have a fence in order for the saw to cut wood reliably. Also the blade, because apparently none of the OEM's have ever put a good blade on any of their saws. You can find a saw with a nice fence, or buy one like the Kreg I own, or make one for next to nothing. But the saw should cut wood out of the box without you having to change guides, tires, bearings, belts, or whatever else in order to make it run!!
                    Would you buy a coffee maker knowing you have to upgrade the heating element right away in order to make coffee??
                    Sorry, I am ranting.

I have a 1 horse Jet that I took out of it’s box, bolted it together, lined up the shaves, checked the blade alignment, set the guides, and have been cutting wood ever since. I did put a ¼ inch blade on it, and added the Kreg fence, mostly cuz it is a cool tool. I’m not looking back.
                    Steve.
                    Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X