X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presure Washing Gutter Face

I have a new Ridgid 3300 psi pressure washer, and want to use it clean off the face of white painted metal gutters. Leaves and pine needles that accumulated in the gutter caused the gutter to overflow staining the white face with blackish streaks. These streaks do not come off easily without substantial elbow grease. I don't want to blow off paint, so what detergent, tip, and distance is typically used for this kind of job. I have Zep All-in-1 Premium Pressure Washing Concentrate. See http://www.zepcommercial.com/image_large.asp?product=27

Good for this job? Says makes 26 gallons. Do I just let the pressure washer siphon the Zep cleaner out of the bottle, or do I dilute the concentrate first to 26 gallons, and then feed that solution to the pressure washer?

Thanks,

- Phil

Re: Presure Washing Gutter Face

It depends on how the metering is set on your pressure washer. You do not dilute it to 26 gallons. I have found that spraying the gutters with a bleach solution (1/2 cup per gallon of hot water) out of a garden sprayer, let it sit a few minutes, then spray it off with just water from the pressure washer works better. Cleaning takes place best when all of the aspects of the TACH principal. Time, Agitation, Heat, and Chemical. Spray the bleach (chemical) using hot water (heat) let it sit (time) spray it off (agitation).

Comment

I'll add a bit here. Those stains you speak of are a pain in the a$$ and usually most cleaners or high pressure won't touch them. If they are aluminum it may take some sort of acid based cleaner to really get rid of them. Later!

Comment

I had the same problem. Nothing I tried worked, even the bleach solution. I used this http://www.superclean.com/index.php from a friends suggestion and it worked GREAT. I think I mixed about 1/2 gallon in a 2 gallon pump sprayer. Found in most hardware stores.

Comment

I'm assuming that you used the cleaner-degreaser product (their are four "SuperClean products)? Did the product get on any vegetation (bushes, flowers, grass)? Just wondering if it did how they made out. I don't see where they say where it is safe for landscape.

That seems to be the problem with just about any cleaner - if it works good it may kill plants. In fact, this product sounds like you need to be extra careful around aluminum and painted surfaces:

http://www.superclean.com/product1.php

Comment

Yes, I used the degreaser. I have some bushes around the house that may have gotten a little wet and didn't affect them. I sprayed it on and hosed it off really good immediately. It is some strong stuff full strength. I diluted it 4-1.

Comment

Working...
            X