18V battery dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V battery dead

I bought the RIDGID planer a couple of years ago while remodeling a house with new doors. I didn't use it for about a year but recently took on another job. The NiCd battery is DEAD. What is best to replace it? another NiCd or LI? I don't use it a lot but hate to see it die just through inactivity.

Re: 18V battery dead

I assume you just left the battery and it slowly drained. Assuming you have done nothing to damage the battery, it should still be a good battery. There are two things you can do.

One: Place it on the charger for about 15 minutes. If it has not started charging, take it off and let it rest for 10 minutes and repeat the process. When you put a battery on a charger it starts with a slow charge until the charger recognises it is a real battery. Recognition is usually a result of measuring a certain voltage in the battery, if it is too low, the charger will stop charging and indicate it as a bad battery. It may take several cycles before the charger recognises it as a battery.

Two: This is more drastic. If you have a similar voltage battery (18v, 19.2v, 20.4, 21.6, etc) you can jump start the 'bad' battery. Just like a car, connect +ve to +ve, and -ve to -ve. You only need a few seconds. Too long can damage the battery. Start with 5 seconds, and then check the battery. CAUTION: make sure you connect the like terminals. Connecting the wrong ones can damage the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by renny View Post
      I bought the RIDGID planer a couple of years ago while remodeling a house with new doors. I didn't use it for about a year but recently took on another job. The NiCd battery is DEAD. What is best to replace it? another NiCd or LI? I don't use it a lot but hate to see it die just through inactivity.
      If you purchased the planer and batteries as a set that qualified for the Lifetime service agreement and registered them with Ridgid the battery will be replaced by Ridgid at no cost.
      I don't know if the three year warranty would replace the battery if it was determined to be defective.
      You could skroll to the bottom of this page and click on Ridgd Tool Co. and follow the steps to more information on both of those warranties.

Comment

Adding to what Calder posted if you know someone that's into HAM radio or is an electronics tech type, he/she should be able to rig up a current limited DC power supply with a series diode to prevent reverse flow. Set it up for a current limit of about 1/4 Ampere and output Voltage (open circuit) of around 25 Volts. Connect up your dead battery and leave it a few hours. Then disconnect and try it in your charger. If it starts to take a charge let it charge up fully, remove and try it in the tool. It may take a few charge and discharge (only to where tool runs slow) cycles to get capacity back.

If this doesn't work look in your yellow pages under "Batteries - Storage" and ask if they rebuild or know a local place that rebuilds Ni-Cad power tool batteries. In my area there are several places that do it at about 1/2 cost of a replacement battery pack.

Comment

Working...
        X