X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Saw Table

I keep my RIDGID cast iron table saw on the carport and occasionally it does get damp. I wiped it down with WD40 after it started to rust. This seems to have at least temporarrily stopped the rust. Is there a better/preferred solution to this problem?

Re: Rusty Saw Table

You can try Johnson's paste wax or Boeshield T9. I use the T9. I also used the T9 cleaner its pretty strong stuff but used with some wet/dry sandpaper it took rust and oil rings out of my saws top. Good luck.
    http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9-...3260718&sr=8-1
    Last edited by PMR413; 10-05-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Try some Kroil. I swear by that stuff and won't leave home without it. If you've got surface rust, spray some on, rub it in with a rag or your finger and let it sit for a half a day, Then take a rag, spray some more on the rag and wipe the rust off the surface. Until you try some of this stuff, you won't believe what it can do. Then hit it with some paste wax to prevent it from happening again. I had an old Vise-Grip that had some surface rust all over it. Sprayed it the other day with Kroil, rubbed it around with my finger and when I took a rag to wipe the excess off, the rust came with it. Miracle stuff. Still use WD-40 on some things, but Kroil is the cat's meow.
      Cheers,
      Jim Don

Comment

Jim

Other than ordering it direct where can you purchase any KROIL products? I get tired of paying high UPS HAZMAT
        shipping fees on it. Anymore they claim the stuff is flammable liquid and also it's in pressurized spray cans. To UPS
        that means HAZMAT.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parent company behind KROIL http://www.kanolabs.com/ 1-800-311-3374

If you call Kano Labs about Kriol, you may want to ask them about Exrust rust remover and about
        Weatherproof rust preventive. I think for a table on a table saw it may be best to use tried and
        proven floor paste (not auto) wax.

Be sure to call them and ask about shipping it to you.

If you have a big industrial supply house in your area ask them about CRC and LPS products
        and do discuss your use and needs. CRC has made many chemical products for cleaning, rust
        removal and metal protection. The make a great hornet nest blaster in case anyone needs it
        and sees this. Most major electrical and industrial supply houses sell the hornet blaster.

Before you apply paste wax, be sure to really rub off any cleaners well. Rags or paper towels
        must be clean. If not, keep working.
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-06-2008, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Woussko,
          I buy Kroil right at one of our old time local hardware stores. If you go on their website and either fill out a questionnaire or ask them a question (don't remember how it went) they'll send you a coupon for trying Kroil at a reduced rate.
          Jim

Comment

renny

is your carport open on the sides or is it a garage?

Comment

I have in the past used my orbital sander with 220 grit sand paper first to remove the rust then use standard car wax to protect it

Comment

Originally posted by disappointed View Post
                I have in the past used my orbital sander with 220 grit sand paper first to remove the rust then use standard car wax to protect it
                The use of standard car waxes is not a good idea. Most car waxes contain silicone which will adhere to the wood you are sawing which can cause some problems when you go to apply a finish later. Although a good silicone free paste wax will make the table top slippery, it's not the best coating for rust prevention.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My saw has some light rust, too. I've used 0000 steel wool and my palm sander with a 4000 grit pad to try to remove it. I also used a little naval jelly on it. The naval jelly has left a "stain" I'd now like to remove. Is there anyone who knows of a technique or a product that will allow me to correct my mistakes? I keep my saw in a more protected environment now and usually clean the surface once every two or three weeks, depending on how much I'm using it. I'm currently using a "slick" spray recommended by my local woodworking shop to protect the surface.

Comment

Working...
                  X