Saw blade slow down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw blade slow down

No, the saw did not get rewired. Remember it slowed down in the middle of a cut so I doubt the wires magically changed. I took the belt off and the arbor and motor spun fine. I started the motor up without the belt and it still moved slow. I'm just glad I'm getting a new one

Comment

When you tried out the motor with the belt off did it make a rather loud GRRRRRR sound attempting to come up to speed? Have you tried installing a new starting and running capacitor? They don't cost that much. Good major appliance parts stores normally stock them and so would a motor rebuilding shop. You can also buy them from WW Grainger if you're setup to do business there.

Getting a new motor from Ridgid Service may be the best deal, but I'm thinking it may just be a small and easy to replace part.

You are correct that if it was running fine and then slowed it's not a wiring change.

Thinking more about this and reading what you posted it would make me think either the running capacitor has failed or a winding has shorted some of the turns or done what's called "grounding out". In either case the motor would draw far more than normal running current and normally would growl loud too.

If you're sure about being able to get the new motor for free, I would wait for it to come in and swap them. You may as well remove this motor so you're ready for the changeover.
      Last edited by Woussko; 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Here is a little test you may want to do while you're waiting on the new motor.

Using the same receptacle you normally use for your table saw plug in a lamp such as a work light or table lamp and turn it on.
        Next plug in an electric heater or a toaster and turn it on. Does the lamp dim enough so you can see a difference? Try switching the heater or toaster on and off a few times.

The above is a crude yet effective test for excess Voltage drop. If it ends up that you do have Voltage drop problems you'll need a different circuit for the table saw. Running it on a 240 Volt private circuit is great after making the needed wiring changes to the motor. Be sure to change the plug on the power cord to the proper type to match the new receptacle. This is best done by a good electrician and the same for changing motor wiring.
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-11-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

My guess is the centrifugal clutch adjustment if the motor will not come to speed. If the contacts are open at start the start cap. will not be in the circuit. My TS3650 when I first bought it did a similar thing as the set screw was loose on the collar and after a few uses would not run to speed.
          A new motor will fix that. I do not have the saw now but I was able to re-set the position and place Loctite on the threads and it was OK.
          If they will replace the motor N/C then that is the best fix. You may want them to check the set screw on the shaft for the clutch on the new motor.

Comment

I got a TS2400, similar problem. Unplug pwr cord and see if you can "Hand Turn" the motor. If it is sluggish or don't move check the armature in the motor to see if any comutators have "fallen" out. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X