X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutout Tools

I am in need of a tool that will make cutouts for electrical boxes and other gadgets that we put in walls to be well connected these days. I have some antique 10.5" baseboards with 2" caps that we are using in a remodel project.
    My giant Craftsman reciprocating saw seems like over kill and is hard to use for these kind of cuts. I've butchered several cuts before in other projects before borrowing my neighbor's jigsaw (Which doesn't seem to be the right tool either.) I'm unfamiliar with the cut out tools offered at HD or other stores. I would appreciate any feedback!

Re: Cutout Tools

You may want to investigate the rotozip style tool or similar types.
    I know for drywall the rotozip is slick! I also saw an infomercial for a Fein tool.

Cactus Man

Comment

RotoZip is the tool or similar definatly. The Fein Multimaster is the one the infomercial is on and from people who own it is one of the best tools ever, but pricey.

Comment

I have the dewalt cut-out tool. Works great. Only problem is that it creates alot of dust when making cut-outs in drywall. If you only have a couple to do, you could use a drywall saw; cheap and easy to use.

Comment

If I understand the question correctly he is not cutting holes in sheetrock, but wooden baseboard? I know there are wood specific bits for the roto tools but I think for a clean straight cut a pilot hole and jig saw are the way to go. I think people either ignore or are unaware of the vastly improved blades for jig saws. Would you rather use a roto tool to cleanly cut through 1/2" or 3/4" wood baseboard or a good jigsaw with a sharp blade?

Comment

The baseboard is 5/8 red pine(?) It came from a stately home that was built in 1906. I looked at the rotozips today and they look like good tools. I am more familiar with using a jigsaw.

Comment

Before buying a new tool if you currently own a good jigsaw look for scroll blades for it. You'll need to match the shank type. Bosch leads the way in jigsaw blades but there are other good brands too. See what you can find. A scroll blade for a jigsaw is thinner from the teeth to the back of the blade so you can rotate it as you cut. If you drill holes in the corners and are careful using a jigsaw you should be able to cut out the holes for the boxes and do a good job.

You may want to look at getting a Key Hole <aka> Jab Saw hand saw too. They are nice for touching up work or where you want extra control. The blade is bigger so you need to have larger pilot holes than for a jigsaw blade. You can use one to clean up the hole if it's a bit too tight for the electrical box to push into.

If you do get a high speed rotary tool and bits, be sure to do some practice holes in scrap before trying it in good wood stock. They are nice in that you can just move the tool up, down, left or right and cut away. The hard part is having real control over the tool. With practice you can make good holes. Also, there are bits for cutting all kinds of materials.

As for using the big reciprocating saw (Sawzall) they are just too hard to control.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Woussko; 10-08-2008, 01:12 AM.

Comment

I think I"ll go with the jigsaw and some better blades than I've been using. I have found this forum to be very helpful and full of great information from some great people. Thank to all that took time to respond

Comment

Working...
                X