X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compreesor Reassembly Question

I own an oil free twin stack that was failing to come up to pressure, diassembled the piston ***'y and the teflon was so worn that the piston just fell out. I've ordered and received the necessary parts to rebuild, however the new piston and cyl are obviously going to need a way/and or/ a tool I am unaware of to avoid damaging either or both in reassembly. does anyone have the answer I need ?

Re: Compreesor Reassembly Question

Having overhauled my oil-free twin stack I can help. I am not sure I know what "tool" you are referring to in order to reassemble. The piston with the teflon gasket should just be able to be gently worked into the cylinder, no tool necessary. Do not lube the teflon gasket in any way, the material itself will slide in the cylinder just fine.

When bolting the cylinder head back up to the motor frame make sure to align it (by eye) before tightening down to verify that the piston is centered within the cylinder all of the way through its stroke. There is enough tolerance that this can be done without any special tools.

Hope this helps, if not be a little more specific in your question so that we can know exactly where you are getting stuck.

Comment

Thank you for the response, I was unsure as to whether or not there was even a tool to get the piston in the cylinder. Between posting and getting your reply I was able to talk to Derrick at Ridgid's support site. He told me that the pump was a "wobble" type and to tilt the piston and drag it into the cyl.. I was just afraid that my usual method of " screw it up the 1st time , then get help" would prevail. Thanks again, it's together an actually compressing !

Comment

I bet you had in mind that you needed a piston ring compressor but with this model that's not the case. Good luck with getting it back working. Please post updates.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pk1952 View Post
          Thank you for the response, I was unsure as to whether or not there was even a tool to get the piston in the cylinder. Between posting and getting your reply I was able to talk to Derrick at Ridgid's support site. He told me that the pump was a "wobble" type and to tilt the piston and drag it into the cyl.. I was just afraid that my usual method of " screw it up the 1st time , then get help" would prevail. Thanks again, it's together an actually compressing !
          Congrats, good to hear another tool has been saved from the trash heap.

Comment

Working...
          X