3300 PW -- Just the facts, madam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3300 PW -- Just the facts, madam

Joined this forum to learn about the 3300 PW found at HD. Did the searches, read just about all the postings and feel more confused than at the start. Is the Ridgid 3300 PW a unit of value or not?

Some are saying HD is discontinuing unit . . . does anyone really know?

If it is, does anyone know why? I can tell you this that there are not dropping the price in my 3 local Hd's in the Albany/Schenectady/Saratoga, NY area - I've call all stores and visited two of the three.

If this PW isn't perfect, it's $599 not $999 - seems like a no-brainer. Am I putting too much importance on the CAT pump and the design?

Looking at it in the store, my only real issue was the location of the gas tank. It sits recessed within the frame work. Looks like you need a funnel to fill the tank. Both the John Deere and the DW units have the tanks in a more accessible location.

At my local HD all of the 3300's are out of the boxes (there's 4 units). Each one is fully assembled and on the floor. When I asked why their out of the box I am told it's a "manager's decision" to assembled them for customer convenience. However, the DW's are still in the box. Maybe I'm too much of a non-believer but why assemble all of these units. Shouldn't this be an open box issue - and "open box" price associated with it? Is it possible there were assembled to "CHECK" for something - anybody else feels this is a little strange? The other store had them in the box.

All in all, I like the unit (gas tank aside) when compared to the John Deere and DW. Does anyone think this is not a unit to purchase for $599.

It's not perfect, but is their any deal-breakers for this unit at this price range. I can't help to think this is a good value.

Re: 3300 PW -- Just the facts, madam

Yeah you are right in the fact that $599 for this combination is a great deal.... If you get one that works 100% as advertised. Most people think CAT pumps are the best thing going, but I don't know about the Robin/Subaru engines. I prefer B&S or Honda because they are put on most OPE for a reason.

I like the compact design of the 3300. Nice gun/wand, hose, etc. but apparently all the components just don't come together for the total package as one would believe. Individually I guess the components are really good for the price.

From what I've seen in many threads it has been discontinued. The ones that are assembled in those stores could be reconditioned so I'd make sure it is 100% new if paying full price. Some people are really trying to ditch these things. I have seen some on ebay for as little as $350 NIB.

When they first came out I was surprised that so much could be offered at such a great price and I was a little pissed that I had bought something else instead, a Sears Professional version of the B&S 3400 Elite, but after reading so many rants and some raves I'm glad I bought what I did because it works every time I use it.

You could buy a 3300 and use it year after year with no problems. I also think it depends on how well something is maintained, but some people claimed to have had 2 or 3 of these (3300) brand new and have problems with each. You be the judge.... If you have $600 to spend and can get your money back if something goes wrong, then I'd do it. Or save up for the biggest Ridgid unit they make, which I think is the 3800. Not many comments on it from what I've seen. Later!

Comment

Another option is to check around local rental yards. If you'll only need it a day or two per year and then it will sit around, does it make sense to tie up your money? Besides the purchasing, a pressure washer does need care and not just when it's being used alot.

Comment

The saga continues . . . I purchased the 3300 unit yesterday after 4 months of reading this forum and other links and "pondering" the purchased as a result of reported concerns. In addition, I had issues with the units in my local HD being unboxed and fully assembled and the hope that I would catch a sale price or some discount. Yesterday, while in HD I saw a sign for 10% off all purchases for veterans (veterns day). I jumped, and purchased the unit at the $599 less the 10%. I had the guys drop two units from the top shelf to compare and checked the ON/OFF switch very carefully. Both switches appeared to be OK (heard the mechanical click when turning on /off. Re-read every post here last night, then the two manuals for the engine & pump (thank each of you for your postings and links to Subaru/Robin & CAT). Because of the "smoke issue" I wanted to (1) purchased the best oil for the unit and not use the included 18oz oil, (2) to accurately measure the oil to ensure 20oz total (remove the 2 oz factory filled). Because the unit was fully assembled, I went throught the assembly procedure to ensure I was OK with everthing. Purchased some Gastrol GTX 10w30 (recommended in one of the postings) and a plastic measuring container to ensure accuraccy. Drained the oil then noticed that the included oil states 4 CYCLE SMALL ENGINE OIL, s#%t, do I need 4 cycle oil? Went back out and purchased Pennzoil OUTDOOR 4 cycle SAE30oil. Did the oil, filled the tank and then prepared to test the unit. My wife suggested we try some areas at her parents house. No chemicals so back to HD to get some high pressure cleaner. THANK GOD the cleaner is near the PW's and my wife screamed -- the sale that wasn't going to happen did -- $100 OFF (now $499). Out came my wallet with yesterdays receipt and my wife charged to the counter. All ends well, sale price plus vet discount - smile on my face. But the best part was when I fired up the unit and watched it perform. This unit is "sweet" and for anyone who is "on-the-fence" don't hestitate. Of course one 2-hour use does not constitute a thorought evaluation but I was very impressed at the ease of starting (each time 1 pull), noise level, power and most importantly the results. Everything went well. Friday's weather, might be mild, if so I intend to wash my house. Put a plus on this unit for me. Again, thanks to all who contributed in posting.

Comment

Castrol oil you mention is meant for car engines as far as I know. 4 cycle small engine oil is designed specifically for air cooled engines and should always be used with any small engine IMO. I know it cost more than auto oil, but is important and I know some will argue with this claiming that oil is oil.

Good to hear that you took your time, looked through what they had and made your choice. Hope it works well for you. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by edlo View Post
            The saga continues . . . I purchased the 3300 unit yesterday after 4 months of reading this forum and other links and "pondering" the purchased as a result of reported concerns. In addition, I had issues with the units in my local HD being unboxed and fully assembled and the hope that I would catch a sale price or some discount. Yesterday, while in HD I saw a sign for 10% off all purchases for veterans (veterns day). I jumped, and purchased the unit at the $599 less the 10%. I had the guys drop two units from the top shelf to compare and checked the ON/OFF switch very carefully. Both switches appeared to be OK (heard the mechanical click when turning on /off. Re-read every post here last night, then the two manuals for the engine & pump (thank each of you for your postings and links to Subaru/Robin & CAT). Because of the "smoke issue" I wanted to (1) purchased the best oil for the unit and not use the included 18oz oil, (2) to accurately measure the oil to ensure 20oz total (remove the 2 oz factory filled). Because the unit was fully assembled, I went throught the assembly procedure to ensure I was OK with everthing. Purchased some Gastrol GTX 10w30 (recommended in one of the postings) and a plastic measuring container to ensure accuraccy. Drained the oil then noticed that the included oil states 4 CYCLE SMALL ENGINE OIL, s#%t, do I need 4 cycle oil? Went back out and purchased Pennzoil OUTDOOR 4 cycle SAE30oil. Did the oil, filled the tank and then prepared to test the unit. My wife suggested we try some areas at her parents house. No chemicals so back to HD to get some high pressure cleaner. THANK GOD the cleaner is near the PW's and my wife screamed -- the sale that wasn't going to happen did -- $100 OFF (now $499). Out came my wallet with yesterdays receipt and my wife charged to the counter. All ends well, sale price plus vet discount - smile on my face. But the best part was when I fired up the unit and watched it perform. This unit is "sweet" and for anyone who is "on-the-fence" don't hestitate. Of course one 2-hour use does not constitute a thorought evaluation but I was very impressed at the ease of starting (each time 1 pull), noise level, power and most importantly the results. Everything went well. Friday's weather, might be mild, if so I intend to wash my house. Put a plus on this unit for me. Again, thanks to all who contributed in posting.
            Edlo,

You have purchased an excellent pressure washer that will last for years to come. My Ridgid 3300 is by far, the best pressure washer I have ever owned.

I do not understand why so many people are posting negative posts...and if you notice, most of the negative posts on the 3300 are speculation or "I heard this or I heard that" posts.

My 3300 is still going strong with no issues whatsoever now for over one year.

Have a great day and enjoy your 3300 for many years to come!

Soar
            Don't squabble with the chickens
            Instead, soar
            with the eagles

Comment

I have had the 3300 psi washer for over six months and am satisfied with the unit. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Comment

I bought the 3300 this winter and haven't used it. Can't wait - PLENTY of things to do!

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a pressure gauge at pump? If so, can someone let me know how it's done? Thanks.

-BH

Comment

I just picked up the last one in a box at my local HD. Marked down to $499. Too early to use yet (cold weather) but I couldn't pass up the price, and I knew if I waited, it would be gone. Hopefully, I won't have any problems with it. Looks like a great unit.

Comment

I found a steal on the Ridgid 3300 PW at HD. It is the subaru carb version that is being discontinued/replaced by the fuel injection version. The one HD I was at just got in 4 of them and had them marked down to $299! I ran out of the store with it before they changed their minds...The guy said that there are still many out there, but you just have to find the right person to do a store inventory search for you to locate one. They may even move the inventory to that location, if they feel that it will sell there, so just keep asking. You can't beat it at that price!

As far as the "SMOKE ISSUE", I did have that as well, but it is normal break-in for the engine, just baby it for the first few hours of use. You have to remember that the engine is running at full throttle under full load when you use a high pressure nozzle. Until the engine has properly broken in, there will be bypass gases building up in the crankcase, forcing oil into the combustion chamber, either by the piston rings, or back thru the crankcase vent hose that is connected to the intake, which will suck the oil and/or vapor into the engine, causing the smoke. If the engine starts to smoke and sounds like it is "bogging down", let of of the wand to let the engine run without load and cool down for about 15-30 seconds, then continue washing again.

It smoked with me several times during the first 1-2 hours of engine time when I would use high pressure nozzle for more than 3-4 minutes at a time with out stopping, letting the engine run for 30 seconds, then continuing.

I'm on about 3.5-4 hours of engine time and can run it continuously now without the engine smoking or sounding labored.

I'm an engine guy and like to do my best to properly break-in engines to ensure a long and maintenance free engine life. I would recommend for anyone with a NEW pressure washer to just put on a low pressure rinse or soap nozzle, and just use it to water the lawn for about an hour of engine time before using a high pressure nozzle and putting full load on the engine. This should give it time to seat the piston rings enough to use it at full load (in short intervals, 2-4 minute bursts, with a short engine rest period in between) without smoking. Once you get 3-4 hours of engine time, then it should be broken-in good enough for normal extended use.

Remember to change the engine oil after the first 5-8 hours of use to remove all of the breakin particles.

Comment

Working...
                    X