number of 1.5 inch holes expected from full charge 18v drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of 1.5 inch holes expected from full charge 18v drill

Just wondering what number of holes I can expect to get from a fully charged 18v drill. ( I have a ridgid 18v nicad drill, and an 18v lithium ion drill )
    I am using a 1.5 in spade bit ( new bit ) with a reg. 2 * 4.

I was only getting a few holes from each - the nicads are a few years old and the lion batt's are only a few months old ! ( I am recharging the batts now to make sure they are fully charged and am going to try again - )

I just expected more I guess...

I am hoping I can get more out of them esp the new 18v milwaukee - but I guess if that's the best I can expect - I'll just use the corded one for big holes !

Anyone out there try something similar and have some stats on your drill ???

NEO1111

Re: number of 1.5 inch holes expected from full charge 18v drill

Should I post this in the woodworking forum ??

Comment

Very few with any drill model. Only thing cordless that might work is the Milwaukee V28 Rt. Angle.

J.C.

Comment

Ok, just repeated with freshly charged batteries.

Ridgid 5.5 holes
        Milwaukee 7.25 holes.

well, it's better, not much but about what they say. ( 50 % )

I like the feel of the ridgid a bit better, esp the side handle.

NEO1111

Comment

Please just use a good corded drill for this. If you really must have cordless maybe one of these bad boys is more like what you need to drill 1-1/2" holes in 2 x lumber and especially if you need to drill that size in 4 x PT lumber.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?...ry=ENGINEDRILL

Comment

If you need battery powered cordless, then maybe take a good look at these. They have way more power and stamina than 18 Volt tools. You can remove the right angle head and install the chuck so it's a straight D handle drill like the second one is only it's corded.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192147_192137

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192163_192137

Comment

I know this is not the thing for these drills, just testing how well the battery lasts. I expected more I guess ( compared to the ridgid - 2ah 18v nicads vs the milwaukee 3ah lion ones )

It was better, but I was thinking more like 2x not 40% - oh well, I did get a good price on the combo !

NEO1111

Comment

Sometime when you have time please try drilling say 1/2 or 5/8 holes through scrap 2 by lumber and post the results. I bet you'll find a more pronounced difference in the number of holes each drill model will make per charge of the battery.

Comment

Working...
                X