X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita Heavy Duty Right Angle Drills

Do any of you own or have you ever used a Makita heavy duty right angle drill? If yes, please comment on it. Normally I think of Milwaukee for this type of drill, but I have read good things about Makita. I have an older model 3/8" Makita mini size RA drill and really like it, but it can't do any heavy work. Please see models below as to what I have in mind.

DA6300 (Very similar to Milwaukee 1675 Hole Hawg drill)
    http://makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tool....aspx?ID=33677

DA4031 (Similar to Dewalt DW124 and the Milwaukee 1680 Super Hawg but not as much tool as a Super Hawg is. That is it's not quite the beast, but it's no toy either.)
    http://makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tool....aspx?ID=33695

Re: Makita Heavy Duty Right Angle Drills

I have an old version (about 20 years) of DA6300 drill and it has done everything I have asked of it, (i felt the clutch was set a little loose). but I can not tell you really how it compare to a Milwaukee, as I have never owned the Milwaukee, to compare, when I bought it the Milwaukee in our local store was about $400 the way I remember it and the Makita was about $250, mail order.
    but to say the new unit is the same or equal, I have no idea. the thing I liked about it, it would stand on it head with the handle in the air, my son borrowed the makita, and I need a drill and I bought a dewalt DW124 and I like it as well for the little I have used it, but it will not stand on it head, and falls over all the time when you set it down, I may make a strap attach to the handle screws to make so it can or will stand on it head, and not fall over when one set it down,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      I may make a strap attach to the handle screws to make so it can or will stand on it head, and not fall over when one set it down,
      Good idea from "The Inventive Mind of This Forum".

Thanks for the info on your older drill.

Comment

The smaller Makita and the Classic Hole Hawg are both great RA drills, I have two brothers, one swears by his Hole Hawg, the other Makita. I wanted start a fight so I bought the Ridgid R7130. Now I know Tools of the Trade did a review and it did poorly, but then again they compaired it to the likes of the Super Hole Hawg which is unfair IMHO seeing as they all have 10 amps plus and the Ridgid has 8. If you were to compaire the Ridgid with the 7.5Amp models in each company I think the results would have been different. The Ridgid is a three speed, not that that matters to most but you get a Automatic Safety Clutch, which to me is a jaw bone, knuckle saving device. Its available in the bigger version from other companies but not the 7.5Amp models. They are hard to find but if you know the tool guy at Home Depot really well they can get you one, they have to get it from Ridgid, they will even honor the last price these were clearenced down at $149 (they did for me anyway) which is a steal. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Comment

I use a DeWalt DW124K all the time. Pretty much identical to an older TimberWolf.

I DO NOT like the traditional Milwaukee Hole Hawg or any copies. With triple reduction gearing and no clutch they hurt even experienced guys more often.

The DeWalt DW124K, Makita DA4031, & Milwaukee 1680-21 all copy each other and are probably capable of doing whatever you need them too. (What do you need it for? )

There are also some good D-Handle Right Angle drills by DeWalt & Milwaukee with good strength depending on your purpose.

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

I have owned this model for better than 8 years (never been serviced other than a new cord end) and it has done everything I have asked of it. I typically use the high speed, but as I remember the low speed clutch is set a bit looser than the T-wolf. All in all a great tool. Now that I have written this I'm sure it will up and die on me...

Greg

Comment

i have a makita da6300, but it's never been out of the box except to look at it my brother called me from loews a few years back and it was clearanced at $99.00. i told him to buy them all
              all was 1

i prefer the timberwolf over the hole hawg and super hawg. i use the timberwolf for my 1.25'' sectional in low gear and also my earth drill.

the super hawg is jut too heavy compared to the timberwolf.

i do have a few worn out hawgs and wolves for parts too.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i have a makita da6300, but it's never been out of the box except to look at it my brother called me from loews a few years back and it was clearanced at $99.00. i told him to buy them all
                all was 1

i prefer the timberwolf over the hole hawg and super hawg. i use the timberwolf for my 1.25'' sectional in low gear and also my earth drill.

the super hawg is jut too heavy compared to the timberwolf.

i do have a few worn out hawgs and wolves for parts too.

rick.
                That's funny as I use to use my Timberwolf as my "earth drill" because I didn't want to mess up my Hole Hawg.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                X