Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can I use the Lithium Ion batteries with the NiCAD drill?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use the Lithium Ion batteries with the NiCAD drill?

A while back I bought one of the 18V NiCad combo kits. Recently some a*****e walked off with my charger and extra battery, along with the 2 saws and the bag they were in! Now I'm left with the 18V hammer drill and one battery, no charger. I guess I'll get a new charger and another battery, although it looks like I could get a LiIon battery for not much more than the NiCad. Will the LiION work with the 18V drill that originally ran on the NiCad battery? Thanks!

Re: Can I use the Lithium Ion batteries with the NiCAD drill?

I don't know about the Ridgid specifically, but most companies that offer lithium packs make them compatible for the tools that previously used Ni-CD or Ni-MH. You will love the lithium.

I bought a Hitachi cordless drill/driver/hammerdrill with the lithium ion packs and it's wicked. The packs have built-in discharge protection, overcharge protection, heat and overload protection, etc. Once the drill gets down to 12 volts the pack stops giving anything so you can't hurt it, which is the worst thing you can do to a pack. Also, once the lithium pack is charged you can leave it untouched for a year or more and it will not bleed off any voltage. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by BT5150 View Post
      Will the LiION work with the 18V drill that originally ran on the NiCad battery?
      If you bought another Ridgid 18V kit say R86006 this will provide a Lithium charger and batteries compatible with your 18V NiCad kit. There are a couple of kits to choose from. The kits provide LSA warranty on tools and batteries.

Comment

Check E-bay you will find all sorts of ridgid batteries and chargers.
        Yes you can use the lithium ion 18v battery.

You can use any 18v nicad: 1.4A 1.9A, 2.5A or lithium ion 1.5A, 3.0A

Just be sure the charger you get has the lithium ion decal on it. Otherwise you will damage the battery.

There have been many posts on this topic look back through the posts and you'll find all your answers.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
        X