X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Belt for my Ridgid Bandsaw and Table Saw

I have a 14" Ridgid Bandsaw and am purchasing a TS3660 this weekend. I'd like to remove the vibration in the bandsaw by replacing the belt (I'll balance the wheels this weekend too). In addition, I'd like to get a belt in preperation for the tablesaw.

I was curious what belt everyone reccommends. I'm not at the bandsaw now, but I believe it's a 1/2 belt too right? I'd like to order today/tomorrow so I can have it for this weekend.

Cheers,
    Ryan Cassidy

Re: Which Belt for my Ridgid Bandsaw and Table Saw

The stock belt that come with the TS3660 is as good as any after market belt. The serpentine design reduces vibrations as well as if not better than the popular link belts. Also, link belts and v-belts will not work with that table saw unless you also replace both pulleys.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      The stock belt that come with the TS3660 is as good as any after market belt. The serpentine design reduces vibrations as well as if not better than the popular link belts. Also, link belts and v-belts will not work with that table saw unless you also replace both pulleys.
      BD's right on with the table saw. For the band saw, a link belt works great. I replaced the belt on my Ridgid band saw with the link belt and it improved the saw lots. Check the manual for the size of belt you need, and get a link belt a little longer. They're easy to size properly, and work great.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I don't own either model so I can't be totally sure. As for the band saw, VASandy has a good idea. Another one based on that the parts list says it uses an A-40 belt would be to try a notched A-40 belt of good USA manufacture. What will matter is that in the USA a type A belt and a 4L belt are similar but not the same. An A belt is industrial grade and 9/32" across the top and the number is the pitch length. With a 4L light duty belt they are measured around the outside circumference and are 1/2" wide. This normally gives about a 2" difference. My recommendation if you can do so is to measure around the outside of the belt that comes with the band saw and also check the width. Please post what you measure and I'll try to help from there.

Now let's just assume that it really is an A-40 V belt that comes with the band saw. (A40 in China normally = 4L40 and not A-40 as per USA standards) You would want what's called an AX-40 Grip Notch or Cogged belt. Please see picture. A link belt is a good idea, but I really doubt it's needed. The problem I keep finding is that most V belts made in China are POC quality and have lumps or ruff spots. This makes for excessive vibration. In addition a notched or cogged belt can flex around a smaller radius and faster than a standard V belt can.

Your best bet if you can take some time is to take the belt(s) to a place that sells Power Transmission products. Normally they are listed in the Yellow Pages under Bearings & Power Transmission Products. Some good industrial supply houses can order or may stock belts. Automotive belts are not the same type. The V angles are different.

As for the table saw most likely it uses a Grip Band Poly Groove belt. You could get a USA made replacement but you really need to match it up exactly. I haven't read on here anyone saying they've had trouble with the belt that comes with the table saw so I would leave that alone unless it makes trouble for you.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Don't bother replacing your tablesaw belt. There's no real need.

As for the bandsaw belt, you're best off with a link belt, as other's have said.

Options:
          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=link%20belt

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41067

IF I remember correctly, you need about 3.5 feet of link belt. But measure it yourself to make sure! It made a huge difference on my BS1400. The stock belt had kinks and stiff spots.

Comment

A note from other threads regarding the band saw. Be sure to stiffen up the base for it and make sure it doesn't wobble. As for balancing the pulleys that's a good idea but do take your time and be careful. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't do this properly at the factory. There's no excuse for not doing so. If a company is too cheap to balance their machine pulleys there's just no way I want any part of anything they make.

Have you purchased the band saw? If not, you may want to prowl the forum for some other recommendations before buying one. Normally a good piece of machinery should be thought of as an investment. You want to be happy with it.

Comment

Thanks for all the information... I have purchased the bandsaw and it does have noticeable vibrations. I'm in the process of setting up my workshop this weekend/next weekend (well in the next stage atleast) and I'm getting the TS3660 in the next few days. Wasn't sure about the belt there, but thought I'd check.

I'll pull the belt from the bandsaw and check out the links everyone provided. As well stiffen up the table which is on my "To-Do" list. Along with 100 other things to get the shop in order :-)

Cheers,
              Ryan

Comment

While the BS1400 is not perfect or ideal right out of the box, investing an additional $50 - $100 makes it a darn capable bandsaw. This brings the price point up to what you'd pay for the Grizzly, JET, etc with the same capabilities. The main difference is the LLSA with the Ridgid.

If I had to buy again, I'd get the Ridgid. Because the link belt, the Kreg fence, the riser kit (Grizzly brand, FYI), and the urethane tires are all something I probably would've upgraded on a Grizzly or JET, as well. Oh, and I'm just partial to that obnoxious orange.

Comment

Working...
                X