X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own the R2740 Belt Sander?

I finally picked up all the cedar boards to build some more outdoor chairs and table but some of it needs more sanding than I think my Bosch finishing sander can handle.

I just got a HomeDepot gift card so I was looking at the R2740 3x18" belt sander. It seems nice and light and a little better built that some of the others. The R2720 3x21" seemed pretty heavy although I am sure it would be more powerful and more surface area. I could afford either with the gift card but am lending towards the R2740.

Anyone have experience with the R2740? I found some of the comments already for the R2720.

Any comments appreciated.

Re: Anyone own the R2740 Belt Sander?

My wife got me this sander last spring when Home Depot had its tool sale. I already had the larger Ridgid belt sander which is great, but its huge, heavy and a required two handed operation. The R2740 has some nice features including the duel fan which helps alot with dust. It has ample power and doens't feel like its going to rip your arm off if it gets caught. I use it for smaller items, much like the project you're talking about. The 2720 seems too big at times, great for big projects, deck/floor refinishing around the edge and such it was great. I first thought having both was unnecessary (not that I complained about getting another tool) but now I use the 3X18 more because if its ease to control and more convient size. Hope that helps. I've been using it since May and not light use, its held up so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
      My wife got me this sander last spring when Home Depot had its tool sale. I already had the larger Ridgid belt sander which is great, but its huge, heavy and a required two handed operation. The R2740 has some nice features including the duel fan which helps alot with dust. It has ample power and doens't feel like its going to rip your arm off if it gets caught. I use it for smaller items, much like the project you're talking about. The 2720 seems too big at times, great for big projects, deck/floor refinishing around the edge and such it was great. I first thought having both was unnecessary (not that I complained about getting another tool) but now I use the 3X18 more because if its ease to control and more convient size. Hope that helps. I've been using it since May and not light use, its held up so far!
      Thank you very much for the information! You have confirmed what I was thinking. My gift card came today and I am headed to HD to pick this up.

Before I bought my table saw I had not really looked at the Ridgid line of tools but now I throw them in the mix when comparing features.

I will give it a work out this weekend.

Comment

I would say get the 3 x 18 smaller one for light work, and if you ever need a large heavy duty belt sander then go all out with a 4 x 24 beast such as the Porter-Cable 362. For most DIYers it might be better to rent it based on your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          I would say get the 3 x 18 smaller one for light work, and if you ever need a large heavy duty belt sander then go all out with a 4 x 24 beast such as the Porter-Cable 362. For most DIYers it might be better to rent it based on your needs.
          Good advice Woussko.

I worked for years without any power sander then picked up the Bosch finish sander which has been great. When I realized I was using for tasks that is was not designed for I decided on a small belt.

I just got back from picking it up and now in the process of rigging up an old vacuum cleaner hose to my shop vac to connect to it. I plan to be using the sander quite a bit this weekend and I will post back my experience for those that are interested.

One other note if someone else is going to purchase one. For some reason the website says it is an online only purchase no matter which local store I picked but I found it in stock in 2 local stores. Looks like the website is not linked to the stores properly for this item.

Comment

Working...
          X