Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V Lithium Ion drill problem?

bmoney,

Good for you on the replacement batteries. I am doing the same as my batteries are exhibiting the same problem. Spoke to a tech rep by phone and he readily agreed with me. So off to the service center tomorrow to have them replaced. Both are presently failing the "stall" test at this point and need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
      bmoney,

Good for you on the replacement batteries. I am doing the same as my batteries are exhibiting the same problem. Spoke to a tech rep by phone and he readily agreed with me. So off to the service center tomorrow to have them replaced. Both are presently failing the "stall" test at this point and need to be replaced.
      Spin.....Please let us know how things go at the service center with regards to knowledge, communication and of course length of time for replacement. Various postings on this forum indicate a disparity in the quality of service and length of time for replacement of worn or defective parts.
      Thanks, Ray
      Last edited by roadrashray; 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        Spin.....Please let us know how things go at the service center with regards to knowledge, communication and of course length of time for replacement. Various postings on this forum indicate a disparity in the quality of service and length of time for replacement of worn or defective parts.
        Thanks, Ray
        RRRay,

Will do. I had to replace 2 of the 24v batteries earlier in the year and it was a short, painless process for me. The service center I use is great and seems to know what they are doing. They handle all of the major manufacturers repairs. It just so happened that when I was replacing the batteries, one of the other repair guys overheard our conversation on the battery replacement issue and chimed in to the guy that was helping me (he was relatively new) as to the Ridgid replacement process, forms, etc. He followed that and 5 days later the batteries were there. It's my belief that some of the problems experienced is due to the differing procedures each of the manufacturers have to get replacement parts. If the service center doesn't properly notify the manufacturer what he needs - 6 weeks goes by before the proper communication is established. Maybe I just got lucky, but I haven't had any problems. Of course this is a larger outfit that I deal with so they have several technicians and can share info and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          Thanks, Ray

Road Rash Ray,

Okay, here's what took place when I took two of the many 1.5ah 18v batteries that I have in for replacement and one of the 24v battery chargers that I own for service. I drove to the service center that I like (60 miles one way) and approached the tool repair counter with my problems. The first guy was helpful to me but not throughly knowledgeable regarding the Ridgid procedures. A second service person overheard our conversation and assisted as he knew more about the Ridgid process than the first (there are about 10 individuals in the service department, that I could see and count, handling all the makes of different manufacturers' tools being repaired). The second guy, Jim, took over and made a repair to the 24v charger and directed the other service tech on the Ridgid battery procedure. The 24v charger has a plastic hold down clamp to assist in securing the transformer to the motherboard and it also has a plastic pull strap to further ascertain that the transformer does not seperate from the board if dropped. That problem was solved and the charger returned to me on the spot. Regarding the batteries, Jim went in the parts bin area returned and stated to me that they normally have the 18v 1.5ah batteries on the premises, but that he could not locate them and therefore they must be out and would need to be ordered from Ridgid. Okay, fine by me as this is a trip that I make almost daily as it's an area where I perform my work. Jim, during our banal conversation that accompanies any interaction, advised me that the company that he works for does not sell Ridgid tools as they are the domain of Home Depot, but if there was a purchase that I might make in the future from another manufacturer they'd appreciate the business. I thanked him and advised him that I'd made purchases from the store before and would continue to do so in the future when the need did arise. I left and went down the street to the local Home Depot to peruse the racks for bargains and just as I was about to enter I received a call from Jim advising me that he had found the batteries. They had been moved recently to a different area of the bin storage and that I could return to pick them up. I now have two (2) working replacement batteries with a born on date of 0837.

Both repair items, charger and batteries, were handily solved. In my previous dealings with this repair center, I had two 24v batteries replaced and from start to finish it was a total of 5 days from drop off to receipt. Based on my understanding of the service center process, they (at least mine) have stock on hand for the batteries. Next time, I think I'll call ahead and speak to Jim about availability of the batteries before I makee the trip. If you were to ask me, I'd say that the normal items of repair - triggers, bolts, screws, brushes, o-rings, and the like, are probably being stocked in some supply to cover usage at the service center. Jim advised me that all he had to do was send them out to Ridgid and they'd restock him when used. They send out their order to Ridgid on Thursday's on the batteries.

I didn't do anything special or coax the technicians in any way to get any favorable treatment (though I did ask for coffee and donuts, but none was to be had). They went to their computer and their Ridgid order page to locate the combo kit that included the batteries I was requesting. I had one of my R86006's with me and they took down the serial number and placed it on their invoice order to Ridgid. Jim asked me after the transaction was complete if I had received a plastic ID card from Ridgid. I advised him that I had. He said the card is all I need and that it was a valuable item and that next time all I'd need to do is bring it in with me for any service. Needless to say, I'm keeping him on my XMAS list for a card or something, but definitely someone I want to know.

So, all in all, my experiences with the Ridgid service center concept has been pretty painless. Hope this helps someone to further evaluate the service center process and maybe provide some insight. Sorry for being so long winded, but wanted to be thorough.

Spinalzo

Comment

Spin.....thanks for the great report. I suspect there are more succesfull stories about service out there, but we usually don't bother wheneverything goes well.....as it should.
            I'm shocked about the lack of coffee and donuts though!!! Ray

Comment

Working...
            X