Question on battery chargers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on battery chargers

I have an older 18 V drill/hammer. It came with 2 batteries and a double charger. Great service and durability so far. I want an impact driver that comes with a 18 V Lithium Ion battery. Can I charge the LI battery on my old charger. I would rather not buy another charger unless I am forced to.

Re: Question on battery chargers

Originally posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    I have an older 18 V drill/hammer. It came with 2 batteries and a double charger. Great service and durability so far. I want an impact driver that comes with a 18 V Lithium Ion battery. Can I charge the LI battery on my old charger. I would rather not buy another charger unless I am forced to.
    Welcome to the forum Mike. That was a very contenscious issue on this forum early this year.
    Finally Pro Brand posted that Ridgid engineering had told him that the 18V Nicad chargers could be used for charging LI batts although the lights wouldn't function correctly.
    I tried charging LI batts on a twin charger a couple of times and didn't like the way it functioned. If I remember correctly after a few minutes the charger fan started cycling on and off and some strange stuff was going on with the lights.
    I'm not saying it was doing any damage to the battery or charger, I just didn't like what was going on. Since I did have LI chargers available I have stayed with them for charging LI batts.
    If you decide the same, I believe new LI chargers are available on ebay for around $30.
    Good luck and let us know what happens with you......Ray

Comment

Normally a charger is designed for a given type of battery. What works well for Ni-Cad won't normally work out for Li-Ion cell batteries and the same in reverse. It is possible to make a charger with a selector switch or a special sensor, but the charger would say so on it. I would play it safe if you can.

You might look for this impact driver as later on you can use it with 24 Volt Li-Ion batteries but for now the 18 Volt Ni-Cad batteries should work in it. It's normally sold as just the tool without battery or charger.
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...r/EN/index.htm

Comment

To Woussko: Any professional RC charger will let you pick the battery type, charge mode, voltage and current. Most charge NiCd, Li-Ion, LiPo, LiFePO4, NiMH.

For any particular battery you need to know the chemistry, charging voltage, capacity and max rated charge current to charge it properly.

To Mike: I highly recommend to get a LiIon charger and NOT use NiCd charger for LiIon batteries. Even if it works, charge patterns are different and you will shorten the life of your battery or severely damage it.

Comment

Working...
        X