No announcement yet.

Replacement Part for 12 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacement Part for 12 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac

    Does anyone out there know where I can find a replacement cap for the drain hole at the bottom of the 12-gallon Wet/Dry Ridgid Shop Vac? My 23 going on 12 year old son has managed to lose the one on ours and without it the vacuum has no suction. I have been to Home Depot (no luck) and have searched the internet with no success - all I can find is attachment parts and filters. I don't want to buy a new one for lack of a $3.00 part - this one isn't even a year old. Any suggestions, leads or other information would be gratefully appreciated.

    Thank you!

  • #2
    Re: Replacement Part for 12 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac

    This past summer I also lost the plug to my 12 gallon shop vac and searched hi and lo for this part no one sells it at a retail location. I was able to buy it from the Ridgid parts website for like 5 dollars plus shipping and handling, I also checked with sears because a Craftsman plug will work but they wanted with shipping and handing 26 dollars. I find it amazing that with these retailers that sell shopvacs Sears, Home Depot, Lowes ie. , I can buy all the Dancing Santa's Singing Rudolphs and talking Christmas trees I want but I cant buy a plug for my shopvac, which probably only costs the manufacturer 5 cents to make, and I am sure we are not the only two that have lost one.
    I have also learned that a 2 inch rubber expansion plug will work also, I think 2 inch . But to save alot of time order from Ridgid and the price is fair and maybe order some other parts if needed to offset the shipping costs, being able to order parts from Ridgid is one of the main reasons that I buy Ridgid tools is because their parts pricing is fair. Being able to buy simple parts for things seems to be a dyeing industry I"m afraid.


    • #3
      Re: Replacement Part for 12 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac

      Part #73185 (Drain Cap) in case you do order from Ridgid. 1-800-4RIDGID which is 1-800-474-3443

      I'm not sure it this would fit, but you might take the drum with you to a good hardware store. Measure the threads first but have the drum so you can check fit. Then look at threaded pipe caps in the plumbing section. If there are any that you think may work, buy them and be sure you can return what doesn't fit. Then just take them out to your car and try them on the drum. Another idea would be to take the drum into the hardware store and try the pipe caps on it right in the plumbing section. A large rubber stopper like a bottle cork would work if you can find the right size.
      Last edited by Woussko; 10-19-2008, 11:09 AM.