X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Lithium Warranty Problem

I own the Ridgid 18v Lithium Drill kit that comes with 2 batteries (1.5 ah), charger, and drill. I purchased it brand new at hd 6 months ago. My charger decided to go hay wire and it fried both batteries. I have registered the kit for the lifetime service agreement and it is in effect. I called a local repair center to have the charger and batteries fixed and they informed me that all of the lithium batteries are back ordered for at least a month.

I then called Ridgid customer service and they confirmed the same thing that the repair center said. BACK ORDERED

WHAT GIVES. THIS IS BS. HOW CAN A COMPANY THIS BIG OFFER A FANTASTIC WARRANTY BUT WHEN IT COMES TIME TO USE IT TELL ME "SORRY BACK ORDERED"

Luckily I'm not a contractor and I don't use my tools for a living. In fact I am just a homeowner trying to build shelves in my garage. Using a hand screw driver got old after the first screw. I am disappointed with RIDGID.

Ridgid should at least make an offer to try and correct the situation. Send me two nicad batteries and a charger to use until lithiums are back in stock. Offer me an exchange at the store. Something... Don't tell me sorry you will just have to wait...

Sorry to vent but I think you guys should know about this. Don't get me wrong I love my Ridgid tools but this is not the correct way to handle a customer.

Re: 18v Lithium Warranty Problem

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
    I own the Ridgid 18v Lithium Drill kit that comes with 2 batteries (1.5 ah), charger, and drill. I purchased it brand new at hd 6 months ago. My charger decided to go hay wire and it fried both batteries. I have registered the kit for the lifetime service agreement and it is in effect. I called a local repair center to have the charger and batteries fixed and they informed me that all of the lithium batteries are back ordered for at least a month.

I then called Ridgid customer service and they confirmed the same thing that the repair center said. BACK ORDERED

WHAT GIVES. THIS IS BS. HOW CAN A COMPANY THIS BIG OFFER A FANTASTIC WARRANTY BUT WHEN IT COMES TIME TO USE IT TELL ME "SORRY BACK ORDERED"

Luckily I'm not a contractor and I don't use my tools for a living. In fact I am just a homeowner trying to build shelves in my garage. Using a hand screw driver got old after the first screw. I am disappointed with RIDGID.

Ridgid should at least make an offer to try and correct the situation. Send me two nicad batteries and a charger to use until lithiums are back in stock. Offer me an exchange at the store. Something... Don't tell me sorry you will just have to wait...

Sorry to vent but I think you guys should know about this. Don't get me wrong I love my Ridgid tools but this is not the correct way to handle a customer.
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry your having problems.
    My question is, you state you have talked to a repair center on the phone. How do they know the problem is the batteries wihout checking the charger, batteries and drill? Maybe you have a defective charger that is simply failing to charge the batteries. That type of problem has been reported on this forum. Maybe you have a defective drill that wouldn't function regardless of which batteries were used. That problem has been reported on this forum also. I suggest you ask the service center to tests the tools to determine which tool is defective.
    If they confirm that the batteries are defective I would take the entire set with the receipt to Home Depot and explain the situation to a mgr and ask him/her what they can do to help. I have ALWAYS found HD to do the right thing to provide help when a product has not performed correctly. I have always treated them with courtesy and respect and explained the situation in a calm, quiet mannner. They have always resolved the situation satisfactorily. I would give them a chance.
    Let us know how you make out......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry your having problems.
      My question is, you state you have talked to a repair center on the phone. How do they know the problem is the batteries wihout checking the charger, batteries and drill? Maybe you have a defective charger that is simply failing to charge the batteries. That type of problem has been reported on this forum. Maybe you have a defective drill that wouldn't function regardless of which batteries were used. That problem has been reported on this forum also. I suggest you ask the service center to tests the tools to determine which tool is defective.
      If they confirm that the batteries are defective I would take the entire set with the receipt to Home Depot and explain the situation to a mgr and ask him/her what they can do to help. I have ALWAYS found HD to do the right thing to provide help when a product has not performed correctly. I have always treated them with courtesy and respect and explained the situation in a calm, quiet mannner. They have always resolved the situation satisfactorily. I would give them a chance.
      Let us know how you make out......Ray
      Ray, he's saying he bought them 6 months ago. HD will probably not exchange them now, since their return policy is only 90 days. He is covered under either/both the 3 year warranty and/or the LLSA. However, that's no good if both the local repair center and Ridgid CS is saying backordered for a month. Yes, I know, he needs to confirm what the problem is with the repair shop. It's just an unfortunate situation.

As harsh as it seems, it might be an idea to pick up another of the same drill kit from HD, and use it until yours is fixed. It's HD's policies to accept returns within 90 days for satisfaction purposes, used or not. It's not satisfactory that you have to wait for your kit's batteries to get fixed, so I'd use another kit in the meantime that you have to wait for the backorder. Not the greatest idea, I know, but it gets you a working drill in the meantime.

Comment

Home Depot's official policy may be 90 days, however I can tell you from personal experiance that Home Depot has replaced defective tools for me on more than one occasion FAR after the official policy when it was explained that I needed the tool for a project. This would be especially true due to Ridgid's back order situation.
        Home Depot is a very strong customer satisfaction company. I would give them a chance to do the right thing.

Comment

I have taken both batteries, charger, and drill to the repair center. He test all of them and informed me that it is in fact a defective charger. However the batteries are both toast due to the charger. So now I must play the waiting game.

My biggest concern is going to HD and them exchanging the batteries is how that effects my lsa. What happens the next time the charger or batteries fail?

canucksartech I like and agree with your idea of not being satisfied. I feel bad for hd because when I return the drill a month from now hd has to mark it down and sell it for less of a profit. It's not fair to them as it is not fair to me that I have to wait.

I would like one of the Ridgid members to chime in and give me their opinion. Maybe for my patients Ridgid would be willing to give me a 3.0 ah battery for my inconveince.

Comment

The thing I don’t understand here is how a company like Ridgid that is of any legitimacy can be out of stock on their batteries for over a month. I mean all they produce these days are lithium batteries so you would think they wouldn’t have a problem.

This is exactly why we don’t buy any Ridgid and strictly DeWalt. When have a problem we take it all in to their FACTORY OWNED service center, not Bobs Tool Repair, they test it all and repair there. If we need a new battery they NEVER run out and have plenty on the shelf. No reason to deal with mailing in any paperwork, keeping certificates or any of that other BS that needs to be done in order to have the LSA. What good does it do to offer the LSA if you can’t even honor it when someone needs something.

You are also right that HD shouldn’t have to take a loss to make you happy because you’re upset with Ridgid. Maybe it is time for Ridgid to realize that the LSA isn’t all that it seems to be and they need to improve their customer service program in order to be able to honor the LSA. Otherwise at some point LSA will stand for Laughing Stock Association.

Comment

I have taken both batteries, charger, and drill to the repair center. He test all of them and informed me that it is in fact a defective charger. However the batteries are both toast due to the charger. So now I must play the waiting game.

My biggest concern is going to HD and them exchanging the batteries is how that effects my lsa. What happens the next time the charger or batteries fail?

canucksartech I like and agree with your idea of not being satisfied. I feel bad for hd because when I return the drill a month from now hd has to mark it down and sell it for less of a profit. It's not fair to them as it is not fair to me that I have to wait.

I would like one of the Ridgid members to chime in and give me their opinion. Maybe for my patients Ridgid would be willing to give me a 3.0 ah battery for my inconveince.
              1-I would return the entire set to HD and explain the situation and ask if they can help. Obviously if the charger is defective they couldn't just replace the batts. Over the years we have purchased ten's of thousands of dollars of tools from Home Depot. One reason is because they have always performed for us. Sometimes they gave us an entirely new tool or set, sometimes they loaned us a tool out of rental, sometimes Pro Desk had some demo tools from a mfgr they loaned us, sometimes they gave us another brand if problems with the original were deemed excessive.
              2-Regarding the LSA, simply go to your MyEbox or whatever it is currently called and type in a note of the exchange of tools at HD and enter the new serial and model numbers. According to what Ridgid customer service told me, it is not necessary to send in any stuff from the box or whatever.
              3-If you man up and talk to HD asking to be treated in a professional manner, you won't have to feel sorry for them about anything. If they balk, I might suggest to them that the new purchase and return is a viable option. Fortunately I have never found that necessary.
              4-We have many DeWalt tools and have had some amount of problems with them as well. They have excellant service, however once the warranty period is over they are very proud when it comes to pricing for fixing them and they charge a nice price for the batts also.
              DeWalt may always have batteries in stock but until just a couple of months ago that stock didn't include any LI batts because DeWalt was the last mgr mfgr to begin providing that style of battery.
              5-I don't know why Ridgid has a back order situation with 18V LI batts but it is not beacuse they have a mfgring problem with them. Their batteries, like all batteries for cordless tool mfgrs are built by a battery company.
              Good luck and let us know how it goes....Ray

Comment

DeWalt may always have batteries in stock but until just a couple of months ago that stock didn't include any LI batts because DeWalt was the last mgr mfgr to begin providing that style of battery.
                Actually we bought our Nano Li-on battereis last fall at HD when they came out with the battery and charger pack. But I guess to some a year ago is a couple of months. Also they might not have been first to market, but they are also the only ones that haven't had to change their chemistry unlike other companies. Makes me think that maybe others rushed to the market with their version before spending enough time testing and developing.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                  Actually we bought our Nano Li-on battereis last fall at HD when they came out with the battery and charger pack. But I guess to some a year ago is a couple of months. Also they might not have been first to market, but they are also the only ones that haven't had to change their chemistry unlike other companies. Makes me think that maybe others rushed to the market with their version before spending enough time testing and developing.
                  Lurch.......You are probably correct about the fleeting time thing, however I did notice that based on the posts I saw on this forum, this part of the country (central NY) was one of the last areas where the Nano batts started showing up.
                  I have heard some very positive projections on the Nano batts and their exclusive technology. Hopefully it is true. Competition is always a good thing for the user. There haven't been many reports on this forum of experiance based on contractor use. What has your experiance been regarding run time, heating under load, any problems in cold weather including overnight storage in unheated trucks, etc?
                  Thanks.....Ray

Comment

The thing I don’t understand here is how a company like Ridgid that is of any legitimacy can be out of stock on their batteries for over a month. I mean all they produce these days are lithium batteries so you would think they wouldn’t have a problem.
                    5-I don't know why Ridgid has a back order situation with 18V LI batts but it is not beacuse they have a mfgring problem with them. Their batteries, like all batteries for cordless tool mfgrs are built by a battery company....Ray
                    I think the issue here is poor planning on Ridgid's / TTI's part. (Ridgid, are you listening???)

These service centers, whether they are correct or not (I've had to deal with this in the last year myself also), are stating a back-order situation with replacement parts for batteries or for the batteries themselves, which Ridgid sometimes says is true, or sometimes says is inaccurate ("No parts shortage issue here!!", they may say.)

I think, with a little foresight, they could have resolved this problem before it started - why is there a parts shortage on replacement parts and batteries, when there sure as heck doesn't seem to be a parts shortage on new stuff hitting the stores??????????? Yes, I know Ridgid / TTI wants to make money, and to do that they have to sell the new stuff, pump it through the stores, promotion, promotion, go, go, go. But if they redirected even 1-5% more of their new stock, and instead sent it to service centers for repair issues (or to a central "service center stock warehouse" or something like that for fulfillment), we wouldn't have these issues. They have the stock, they're just stubbornly not using the proper amount of it that's needed for LLSA fulfillment and repairs. (Its like this - its almost like Ridgid has say 1 million units for retail, and only 5 thousand units for repair. How about a redirect of going to 990,000 retail units, and 10 thousand units for repair. Simplified numbers and math, I know, but you get the picture.) Yes, this would take a couple extra dollars off of the bottom line for Ridgid right now, in that there's less stock to ship to HD for these promotions and displays. However, when their LLSA/warranty repair service improves, and word gets around at how well/fast/consistent the service is, Ridgid's reputation with the LLSA will go through the roof, thereby increasing sales without need for promotion, and helping Ridgid's sales/profit line to go up better than what it was before.

My 2 cents worth (on yet another repeat issue, I know ).

Comment

I totally agree with you. Ridgid has put to much emphasis on sell sell sell that they have forgotten about the real customers of Ridgid. A year ago I had a chuck problem with a Ridgid drill. Went to the same repair center and again due to inventory I waited 2 weeks for a new chuck. The most common part on a drill, the chuck, and Ridgid acts like they have to go out mining for gold in order to get another one.

What is all the hype about Dewalt nano? How is it different?

Comment

I totally agree with you. Ridgid has put to much emphasis on sell sell sell that they have forgotten about the real customers of Ridgid. A year ago I had a chuck problem with a Ridgid drill. Went to the same repair center and again due to inventory I waited 2 weeks for a new chuck. The most common part on a drill, the chuck, and Ridgid acts like they have to go out mining for gold in order to get another one.

Maybe the problem is with your service center. I don't know what arrangement Ridgid has with the service centers and inventory requirements, however there have been posts on this forum from a number of people who have reported problems with a particular service center and switched to another and reported much improved service and parts in stock. I didn't run a search for your area, however it might be worth a try. The Jacob's chuck in Ridgid drills is common to many mfgrs and it would seem that any service center worth it's name would carry them in stock. We have been fortunate and have had no service issues despite the large number of Ridgid tools we own. While doing searches for service centers in other parts of the country I have noticed some "peculiar" names that conger up visions of less than competent places for efficient tool repair.
                        There have been many posts on this forum claiming that the technology used for the DeWalt Nano batteries is superior to that used by Ridgid supplied LI batts which is common to many other power tool mfgrs. I am not competent enough to understand the technical issues to support the superiority claims. You could probably do a search on this forum which I remember links some posts to Nano technolgy explanations or you could search on google.
                        I will wait to see what the contractors actually using the equipment on the job on a daily basis report. I have been around long enough to have experianced the hype and then the reality of many products and technologies over the years. We have over 60 cordless tools using both NiCad and LI batteries. We now have almost two years of experiance using LI batts on tools in a very damanding commercial environment. We use and yes abuse the tools and batteries on a regular basis. They are exposed to extremes of heat and cold in rain, snow, mud, dust, dirt, and all the other stuff related to commmercial housing construction and renovation. They are pushed to the limit drilling and sawing until the battery protection circuits kick in and then pushed some more. Many of the DIY guys on this forum that treat their tools like fine pieces of art would have a heart attack with the way ours are treated. Worked very hard all day after day and thrown into a bag which is then tossed in a truck on and under piles of other tools. For the most part that experiance has been very positive. We had one issue of defective 24V LI batts on the first set we purchased two years ago. We found out the first winter that LI batts won't take being left overnight in a truck in freezing weather as the NiCad batts can. Other than those two issues the LI batts have been flawless for us. Not a single battery failure in thousands of hours of use. Of course I have no memory of failure of NICad batts either. NiCads are more sensitive to overheating and the requirement for total discharge before recharging makes them less desirable in a commercial operation than LI batts which can be recharged any time regardless of level of discharge. We work with manny other contractors who use LI batts in Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, et all and most are reporting very good performance with LI batts. We haven't experianced any problems with LI batts like we did in our laptop computers, in fact no problems at all.
                        I know all this is of no comfort to you because you have experianced a problem and have not received satisfactory service. I would take a look at another service center. It would seem reasonable that any service center worth it's name would keep a charger and batts in inventory. There was a report on this forum a few weeks ago that Ridgid was in the process of evaluating their authorised service centers. Maybe they will require greater inventory levels of commonly used items. Keep us posted on how your problem plays out.
                        Soooooooo we'll see if the Nano lives up to its hype. I hope it is a better batt. Competition and improving technology is good for us, the users. It keeps pushing the envelope which provides us with higher quality, cheaper prices, and greater capability.
                        Hope this was helpfull......Ray
                        PS.....As you know, I would give HD the chance to do the right thing!

Comment

Here is the low down on the DeWalt Nano which we bought a few of last year.

Weighs roughly a pound less than the XRP battery with over 2 times the amount of cycles than the XRP. We have been told to expect over 2000 charges out of the Nano and so far we are a strong believer in it. We bought the first 2 last October and have not had a single problem with either and then bought an additional 2 this summer. We will also probably pick up the 2pk that we recently saw in depot with a hammer and impact. The other nice thing is no self discharge, however that is true with any lithium battery. You can charge it and come back months from that point and you will still have a full charge. We live and work throughout Ohio so we have both extreme cold spells in the winter and very hot spells in the summer and the battereis hardly ever come off the truck at night unless I am using them at home over the weekend. We used them for some installs this summer on tops of roofs and didn't have any problems in 100+ degree temps.

We did a fair amount of research on the Nano technology last year once we first heard about it. DeWalt partnered with MIT, MAssachusetts Institute of Technology, and they have been designing this technology from the ground up over the past decade with the help of countless contractors. If you are familar with other lithium chemistrys on the market a lot of companies, such as Makita, are using ones very similar to those that are used in lap tops, cell phones, and other items which are much smaller than power tools. The result in using these types of lithiums is bad performance and not many life cycles. I believe we also read that MIT has also partnered with GM to help them design cars of the future using some of the Nano technology as well. We know a couple of guys that bought into the Makita hype last year and bought a couple of their 2pk compact kits from depot with the tiny lithium battery. Those battereis lasted only about 8 months before they went bad. They had them tested and they were told that all the cycles had been used up.

Thats all of my 2 cents.

Comment

The other nice thing is no self discharge, however that is true with any lithium battery. You can charge it and come back months from that point and you will still have a full charge.
                            Not if it's a Ridgid!

The earlier 24 volt XLi batteries had major issues with this, and I notice even my newer versions of these batteries are starting to do the same. Also, the 18 volt lithiums don't seem to hold their charge well over time either. Maybe it's just a Ridgid thing, if things are panning out well with other manufacturers and their lithium batteries holding a charge over time.

Still awesome design, performance, and longetivity, so I personally don't mind the trade-off. Just another Ridgid quirk, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              Not if it's a Ridgid!

The earlier 24 volt XLi batteries had major issues with this, and I notice even my newer versions of these batteries are starting to do the same. Also, the 18 volt lithiums don't seem to hold their charge well over time either. Maybe it's just a Ridgid thing, if things are panning out well with other manufacturers and their lithium batteries holding a charge over time.

Still awesome design, performance, and longetivity, so I personally don't mind the trade-off. Just another Ridgid quirk, maybe.
                              Our experiance supports Canuck on this. All of our Ridgid 24V and 18V LI batts self discarge to some extent. Because we are using the batteries on a regular basis it is not an issue with us, however I can see where it could be an irritant with someone who was an occaisional user and could end up starting a job with discharged batts.

Comment

Working...
                              X