Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 3300 psi - Won't start when warm

Guys,

Any ideas why my Ridgid 3300 psi pressure washer refuses to start when warm? I am exhausted trying no-choke, partial choke, full choke, etc. Nothing. Done this before, and it eventually started when warm, but today, after maybe 30 pulls, maybe one pop, and that's it. Fuel is on, power switch on. I am at a loss. The unit is fairly new, this being the third time used. But, it has never really started well when cold either, needing several pulls on the starter rope to run. It runs OK, ocassionally spitting back when turned off, but that's it.

- Phil

Re: Ridgid 3300 psi - Won't start when warm

Try this as crazy as it seems and please let us know if it helps.

1. Run it totally out of fuel with water flowing through the pump and the discharge hose disconnected so water sprays out of the fitting on the pump.

2. When the engine stops be sure engine oil level is full but not over filled.

3. Put any gasoline in can into some other engine fuel tank.

4. Go to a different gas station and get some PLUS rather than REGULAR grade gasoline in the can.

5. Fill up the pressure washer fuel tank with the new PLUS grade gasoline and see how it starts and runs.

When you try to start the engine is the trigger blocked open so water is flowing?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Try this as crazy as it seems and please let us know if it helps.

1. Run it totally out of fuel with water flowing through the pump and the discharge hose disconnected so water sprays out of the fitting on the pump.

2. When the engine stops be sure engine oil level is full but not over filled.

3. Put any gasoline in can into some other engine fuel tank.

4. Go to a different gas station and get some PLUS rather than REGULAR grade gasoline in the can.

5. Fill up the pressure washer fuel tank with the new PLUS grade gasoline and see how it starts and runs.

When you try to start the engine is the trigger blocked open so water is flowing?
      Thanks for the reply. The engine has only run had a diet of Chevron 89 octane fuel, or the midgrade. I read somewhere this may be preferred, so opted for this grade over the 87 octane regular.

The oil was overfull. I filled the engine using the container of oil that came with the unit, but when on level ground, oil just runs out of the filler necks when opened. So, I let it drain out for the most part, the engine now filled just to the edge of the neck. I am not sure how I got all the oil in there in the first place. I suspected overfilling, when I placed the unit on the driveway, which has a slight incline. The unit was positioned so it could roll down the driveway, if permitted to do so. I was using it, and as the engine surged periodically, it would send out plumes of oil smoke. It kept running, but I stopped it, and removed the excess oil. Back on level ground, it smoked for a bit, after some difficulty starting, but the smoke faded over a minute, and then never smoked again. Apparently, excess oil around the piston rings still burning off.

I found the engine less reluctant to start when warm if I pulled the starter cord further than I had been. I don't like to yank the cord right to the stop, but popping it over more than I had done before seems to help a bit. I am using no choke when hot. Is that proper?

After each pull on the engine, I relieve the pressure at the trigger. I suppose I could remove the nozzle, block the trigger, so I have no resistance at all from the pump. Or I guess hold the nozzle and trigger open, while pulling the starter rope?

If the warm starting is problematical with my new starting procedure, I'll scrap the fuel, dry the tank and carburetor of any potential water, etc., and try a new batch of fuel.

- Phil
      Last edited by Phil3; 10-26-2008, 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional content.

Comment

Out of curiosity did you check the spark plug? Regardless of how many hours you have on it a fouled plug can do what you're describing. Had a similar incident with a trimmer. Later!

Comment

Check tthe oil. Those pressure washers are designed to cut off if they dont have enough oil.

Comment

Being that this thread is four months old let's hope he figured it out.

Comment

Phil

Please post about your luck or lack of luck.

I recommend making sure to relieve the pressure as best you can before and during starting the engine.

Comment

ray...you cant count buddy

Comment

Working...
                X