Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new day new outlook http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

TO all:

Yesterday was my first day on here @ Ridgid tolls I was very upset and still am but in a different state of mind... I had stated that Ridgid toos suck and so does their customer service/ warranty program... Well their tools do not suck I have sevral others that are several years old a perform as new, but Ridgid needs to improve on the customer service........As it's US the consumer who keeps them in business.

Yes I am upset about the way I'm being treated by Ridgid / The Home Depot but they do make good tools; just the table saws TS2410LS was a fluke.

Their customer service department needs improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tools are like everything else in life some are good some are better than others, and one statement I usually make is "EVERYBODY HAS A BAD DAY" so the table saw I purchased passed Quality Control should it have probably not.

I still feel that during the WARRANTY PERIOD we the tool owner should be able to take the tool to the place of purchase and get a replacement, and the inferior tool be sent to Ridgid for repairs and sold at a Ridgid outlet store as REFURBISHED, @ a reduced price. When I purchased my table saw 6 months ago I paid for a new tool not a refurbished so at this point I want a new table saw.

AS long as I hold the original sales receipt it shouldn't matter whether I registered the saw or not. The receipt shows the date of purchase and that's when the efective warranty date goes into affect.....

Last edited by disappointed; 10-26-2008, 05:04 AM.

Re: new day new outlook http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Attitude, its all about attitude. If you start out really polite, chances are, they will too. But if you have a problem, just ask for a different person to deal with, or hung up and call again. I even have bad days and get grouchy for no reason at all. Though they are not suppose to, in reality a customer service person can and will get grouchy too.

Sorry to hear about your situation, sometimes it may not even be their problem, however you expect that it is and refuse to see otherwise. HD, they really don't give a crap, but there are some workers that will try to please you, as long as you sport a smile and don't growl at them.

Ridgid does make great tools, thats why I own many and thank god I have never had a problem with one of them. Small wheels with the tile saw is my only gripe...... Good luck disappointed, and welcome to the pub.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you have got the rant out of your system and are ready to take advantage of the tremendous help that is available from the very experianced members of this forum. Most of us can understand the desire to rant when one is experiancing a problem and feel we aren't getting the assistance we deserve. However it's important to note that in todays marketplace often we are dealing with large impersonal monolithic corporations that have systems and procedures in place. For better or worse it's a different environment than dealing with the localy owned hardware store. As consumers we have a choice of of working within the the system of these huge multinational organisations or staying with the small localy owned stores. there are pluses and minuses with both.
      Below will be a few suggestions for improving your chances of happiness in the Home Depot/Ridgid hand held power tool world(TTI).
      1-Your desire for Home Depot to function as a service center for Ridgid power tools. I would suggest you relieve some stress and forget about that idea. I have been dealing with Home Depot since 1996 at stores throughout the US and I have never received an indication that they consider that function as a part of their business plan. By the way the same is true for Lowe's. Neither one of these big box operations seem to have any desire to get into that business. Just as a point of information this is true not only for Ridgid, but for Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, DeWalt, et all. I agree with you that it would be very nice, however it sure doesn't look like it's going to happen.
      2-Ridgid's requirements for the LSA. I suggest the same thinking applies. It's their company and they have established the proceedures for the LSA. I very much liked the idea of a lifetime service agreement for my tools that even included replacement of the very expensive LI batteries when they wear out. No other tool company offers anything close. We use alot of cordless tools(over 50 at last count) and looked at the requirements of the LSA as reasonable for the benefit of this feature. I have seen postings on this forum that indicate some don't want to conform to the the LSA requirements yet are very angry when they have a problem and can't get their tool fixed. I personaly know some other contractors who take that position. Many guys in this business are less than judicious dealing with paperwork. The receipts for their last five years of purchases are found throughout their truck, stuffed in variios consoles, ashtrays, glove compartments, on the floor, under the mats, in various store bags blowing around in the bed. I suggest if your that guy you might be happier staying with Joe's Hardware and Tool shop.
      There are certainly advantages to buying from someone you know on a first name basis. Though I can say from experiance there are certainly some serious limitations also.
      3-Getting help for your problem. I noticed your rant all over a number of threads on this forum. While it may have felt good to release some anger in that fashion nothing was accomplished in getting help for your problem. In fact like the results in many situations when we succumb to our anger, your trashing around was counter productive. You were rudely jumping into a number of threads started by other people and interupting the process of dealing with their problems. Some members including this one took you for a crank and I believe in one instance identified you as such.
      You didn't give us much specific help for helping you . You didn't give us an address so we might suggest a Ridgid Service Center near you when you complained about the necessity for paying long distance shipping in one of you rant posts. Even with only the Three year warranty the product can be repaired at a local Ridgid Service Center, therefor no shipping would be necessary. We couldn't help you find one as you didn't include the city where you live in your profile. You only need a receipt to qualify for the three year warranty. You can find a service center near you by going to the Ridgid web site and following the steps for obtaining service.
      I hope you are successfull getting your saw repaired and that you stay around and participate in this forum. We have alot of fun helping each other and helping each other "keep it real" when we run off the rails.
      We learn things from the other members about strengths and weaknesses of tools and yes, dealing with the big monoliths. For example I'm not exactly thrilled with Ridgid and their computerised Tool registration and mangement system that is going through one of it's dysfunctional periods. However the benefit is that other members on this forum have contacted Ridgid and posted the results which although not enjoyable indicate that a fix is on the way and in the forseeable future will be operational again.
      With that thought in mind, what kind of problem did you experiance with your saw? My question is more than academic, as we own one of them and when someone else experiances a problem with a tool like one of mine I like to be aware so we can take steps to avoid a problem if possible.
      Hope this helps......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by disappointed View Post
        TO all:

Yesterday was my first day on here @ Ridgid tolls I was very upset and still am but in a different state of mind... I had stated that Ridgid toos suck and so does their customer service/ warranty program... Well their tools do not suck I have sevral others that are several years old a perform as new, but Ridgid needs to improve on the customer service........As it's US the consumer who keeps them in business.

Yes I am upset about the way I'm being treated by Ridgid / The Home Depot but they do make good tools; just the table saws TS2410LS was a fluke.

Their customer service department needs improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tools are like everything else in life some are good some are better than others, and one statement I usually make is "EVERYBODY HAS A BAD DAY" so the table saw I purchased passed Quality Control should it have probably not.

I still feel that during the WARRANTY PERIOD we the tool owner should be able to take the tool to the place of purchase and get a replacement, and the inferior tool be sent to Ridgid for repairs and sold at a Ridgid outlet store as REFURBISHED, @ a reduced price. When I purchased my table saw 6 months ago I paid for a new tool not a refurbished so at this point I want a new table saw.

AS long as I hold the original sales receipt it shouldn't matter whether I registered the saw or not. The receipt shows the date of purchase and that's when the efective warranty date goes into affect.....

I feel your pain I just haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Ridgid sells tools through Distributors who sell them to Home Depot who sell them to consumers. Ridgid has authorized repair facilities where you can take you tools if they need repairs.

Home Depot sells tools, they are not a repair facility. If Home Depot wanted to dip into their pocket to give you a new saw that would be on Home Depot but it is nothing they "owe you". When you take a new car in to the dealership for a warranty repair do you expect them to give you a new car for your troubles? Can you imagine what the cost increase in purchasing any product would be with such a ridiculous policy? I can't think of a single manufacturer who gives you a new product during a warranty period when the product is repairable. Perhaps you could share with us the ones you know who do this. There is one rule to mechanical stuff and that is stuff happens. With all due respect perhaps you should change your user name to unrealistic.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I own well over $15,000 in Ridgid tools and I never once bought any of them at home cheepo. I have never had any problem with my ridgid tools. It seems everyone on the forum who has problems with ridgid, its because they bought it at home depot. Just an observation.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I still feel that during the WARRANTY PERIOD we the tool owner should be able to take the tool to the place of purchase and get a replacement, and the inferior tool be sent to Ridgid for repairs and sold at a Ridgid outlet store as REFURBISHED, @ a reduced price.
            Sorry, but even though I feel your pain of frustration of a tool being unusable, and like others on here we understand the need to rant, you won't find this request to be attainable. In this day and age of serial numbered tools, it just doesn't happen like that. It clearly states in all the warranty/LLSA literature that Ridgid has the option to repair or replace, and if it's not a complete and utter failure, then 9 times out of 10 it will be repair. And you will need to follow those guidelines and rules. And no, there are no provisions for temporary/backup/loaner tools.

When I purchased my table saw 6 months ago I paid for a new tool not a refurbished so at this point I want a new table saw.
            Um.....no. Yes, you're table saw was new when you bought it 6 months ago, but it's been 6 months now, it's used now. As much as it has maybe not been used extensively, it's still a used product now. Please understand this.

Yes, it does matter if you register or not - sort of. Right now, from your posts, your saw is 6 months old. So, you are outside of the initial 90-day Return period. You now fall within the 3-year warranty period. Lastly, the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA) is effective after the 3-year warranty period expires, but only if you properly follow the steps in registering your tool (which you must do within the initial 90 days of ownership). So, either way, right now you're covered under the 3-year warranty, and you can receive repair/replacement service (at Ridgid/TTI's discretion) at any of their authorized repair centers.

Those are the bones. Please read over your owner's manual and/or warranty literature for more specifics. It's the way it is, and it was the way it was when you bought the product, thereby agreeing to the warranty/LLSA as it stood, by your decision to buy.

Comment

The subject of warranty and the LLSA comes up all too often IMHO. I don't quite know what it is about this type of thing that makes it so difficult to understand.

One of the mysteries about such things is that too many of us seem to be of the opinion that we are owed the full privilege of an offering without having to make any effort to meet the criteria. Perhaps it is just part of the frailties of being human. Whatever, let me try to make some sense of this from a manufacturers point of view. Perhaps my opinion isn't the same reasoning of the TTI or Ridgid management, but it's an attempt to make clear why "Rigistration" is desired and perhaps a reason why a manufacturer might offer an extra incentive to register by offering an extended service plan, contest, or whatever.

Having a realistic list of customers is often important to the manufacturer of a product. It can be used for survey purposes, for recall safety notices, for marketing demographics, or just plain old knowledge of customer growth. If a manufacturer has some idea that they have 2,000 customers in some region, then perhaps they need a new service center there. Likewise if they're not selling anything in Kansas, then maybe they need to find out why. Sure, you can discover that you just sold 100 new drills in my town, but did one company buy them or was that 100 new customers. I'm sure most of us can understand why such knowledge might be important.

But, whatever the reason, the importance of having such knowledge can perhaps be measured by the length a manufacturer will go to get a customer to comply. In consideration that far too many of us just buy a product, discard the packaging and go about enjoying what we just purchased without ever filling out a registration card. Once in awhile some manufacture like Ridgid, might deem it important (for whatever reason) to really want to know who it's customers are. As an incentive, they offer something more... something that should entice the customer to take a simple step. In this case, the step is simply to send in a copy of your sales receipt, the original UPC from the carton, and provide a name, address, and product serial number. In turn, the customer will be provided with a lifetime of no-cost repair and service. Simply stated, 10-minutes of your time and a postage stamp is probably worth the total cost of your tool, plus some!

If you don't want to make that effort, you still get a very nice 3-year warranty which should cover the repair of the tool if you send or take it to an authorized service center.

So how is it that someone misinterprets something so simple and/or takes so little effort? You didn't follow the rules, so you don't get the prize! Is there any other effort or exerience in life where you still get the reward by not meeting the criterea???

You don't get to eat if you don't show up for supper; you don't get a paycheck if you don't show up for work; and you certainly don't get the LLSA if you don't do the "registration".

As far as buying a new tool and not a refurbished or repaired tool, I couldn't agree more. If you had discovered that was the case, Home Depot and Ridgid, both provide you 90-days from date of purchase to make such a discovery and return the product. Apparently the case was that you really did buy a brand-new product. Although you used it only a little, you still used it. So now it's a "used" tool. You have the right to get it repaired, and you have the right to sell it or even junk it if you so desire. But as for getting it "replaced" with another brand-new tool, well good luck Huck!

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I can appreciate your honesty for showing your receipt which has your original date of purchase on it.

I understand that Home Depot does exchanges on items with or without the receipt. They do have a time limit though. Your warranty is different than Home Depot's ability to be able to receive credit from the manufacturer for a defective item, and I think that stipulation is intentional to prevent items broken from use being returned for credit to the merchant, or warranties would be unnecessary.

In this situation though, being you have your receipt, you should do what is necessary to get your item repaired/replaced if you are in your warranty period. Go register your item. If you cannot for some reason, call Ridid's customer service number, and tell them you have a problem with your item, how old it is, that you have your receipt, and I think they will provide you with a resolution to your problem.

Life is not always as convenient as we would like, but it's much better to work on a solution, than to dwell on the problem that won't fix itself.

Good luck, Caryn

Comment

Originally posted by fixitmom5x View Post
                  Life is not always as convenient as we would like, but it's much better to work on a solution, than to dwell on the problem that won't fix itself.

Good luck, Caryn
                  I liked this little nugget of wisdom so much I'm going to make it my signature for a while

Thanks Caryn

Comment

Wow, PC I am touched. Thank you, Caryn

Comment

Yes, a good little nugget. Finally, a little bit of sunshine on this forum, rather than us always having to hear the howling of miscellaneous "drive-by" newer members. Or that of a certain unnamed hound.

Comment

Working...
                      X