X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.25 worm driven vs 7.25 cordless 4 Xmas

Hope to get some input. My husband wants a new 7.25 circular saw for Christmas. Which should I get-the cordless (btw-can you have an extra battery charged and ready if you need it?) or the worm driven? He is 70 years young and just likes to build things and work around the house.
    TIA for input

Re: 7.25 worm driven vs 7.25 cordless 4 Xmas

Unless your husband has Popeye forearms, I'd recommend against the worm drive saw, those things are beastly heavy. A regular style circular saw will be much easier to handle. Others will disagree, many others , but in my opinion he'd also be much better off with a corded saw than the cordless versions. Granted, the cordless saws are convenient but they also run out of power very quickly.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

After reading that your husband wants a "NEW" worm drive I'm assuming he already has one and knows how to use them.If this is the case I would imagine there are a few projects he may already have in mind that the battery might not be able to perform to his liking.

Comment

I fully agree with BadgerDave on the corded saws. The cordless just do not have enough power or run time. They cost more too. As for a worn drive they are good for heavy contractor use, but most DIY types really are better off with a non worm drive. He might prefer a reversed type where looking at it from the operating position the motor is on the right and blade on the left. You would do well to ask him before buying one. Please see pictures below.

Picture 1 is "Blade Right" and picture 2 is "Blade Left" type.

Now if he really wants a worm drive model then please look at the Bosch model 1677M but be forewarned it's not cheap. It should last him a good long time though and it really saws given the proper blade.
        http://boschtools.com/Products/Tools...aspx?pid=1677M

Question: Is this for serious heavy duty work or more hobby do it yourself type projects?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I second Daves' recommendation of a corded saw as for sporatic DIY use a bettery will be half dead most times you want to use it unless you keep after it with a maintenance charge.

If you can find it consider a saw with an electric brake, much safer.

Unless he has given you some ideas of brand and features he prefers it might be best to let him pick it out so he can get the features he wants.
          By the time you buy a decent cordless saw with an extra battery you will have enough for a very good corded saw.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Just my opinion,
            I find tools fairly personal and I like what I like and dislike much of the other out there, and at one time asked for tools for gifts, but after not getting what I wanted, I stopped,

with the money involved, I would simply ask to go shopping with him, and have him "pick out what he wants".

I like the worm drive, but it is heavy, I think it is easier to cut straight with it, I bought a "commercial Black and Decker" once, and used that saw about 3 times and gave it away, and went and bought a worm drive, I could never cut straight with the B&D, the little cordless saw I find handy, and I like the blade on the side I work from I am right handed, but I feel they fit two entirely different rolls, in the sawing world, some what like a semi and a sports car. and are not that cross over in use,
            I would think If me, just go out together have a nice dinner and go tool shopping, at least see what his preferences are, for the tool in question. I know it takes away the surprise element but buy him some candy or some kind of treats for the surprised side of the gift, (my dad loved getting candy bars and nuts that he felt he did not have to share, with any one one, of the other things he enjoyed was jelly's).
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Buy him a gift certificate to cover the cost, and then let him decide.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                That's the best advice thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  Good thinking

I wish my old brain could think again.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

That's why they call me Mr.

Comment

Working...
                    X