X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid MaxSelect Radio, R84081

I was sailing along through eBay, and I see that the new Ridgid MaxSelect radio is starting to sell on eBay. It's model number R84081, and it is apparently from the R969 combo kit. I've attached some pictures of this radio below.

No update on Ridgid's webpage as of yet as to either listing this radio in with the other MaxSelect tools (which would be a good sign of whether or not it's going to be released as a solo purchase offering). Also, I don't see a webpage update for the R969 combo either.

The nice thing about this radio (which I will definitely be buying) over the Ridgid Jobsite radio/scanner, is that this radio is....small. One speaker, yes, but it's digital tuning it looks like, takes both voltages as a MaxSelect tool, has a low battery indicator, and has a little MP3 input/storage area on the back of the radio. (Granted, it's not a sealed area like on the Jobsite radio, but what good is that if you're opening and closing it to control your iPod, as that radio doesn't have functioning iPod controls?).

The photos from this particular listing that I found are pretty good too, in that it helps to show the general dimensions and aspect of this new radio, by seeing the relative size of the battery and iPod shown in the back.

Something small, simple, easily movable, and effectively designed. Just what I was hoping for in a radio for my garage.

Goody, goody, gumdrops!
    Attached Files

Re: New Ridgid MaxSelect Radio, R84081

I got to hear to listen to this the other day... sounds pretty decent for it's size. The ipod is a nice addition as well. Looks a lot like the ryobi radio.

Comment

big advantage (at least to me) of this radio is that is does AM as well as FM.
      I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

I have also noticed that the little radio pulls in FM stations A LOT better than the larger scanner/radio. I didn't have the chance to test AM yet.

I can see the family resemblence to the Ryobi, but the Ridgid sounds better and doesn't look like it should say "Mattel" on it.

Comment

I dont own any Ridgid cordless tools. If I did I would like to buy one of those. I work on signs so sometimes I spend all day in the basket of the truck up in the air by myself so this would work well.

I hoe Dewalt makes something similar in features and in size.

Comment

How does this radio do with AM stations, I'm sick of missing Glenn in the morning because all my radios are inside radios that I don't want getting messed up (lugging an Onkyo SR876 around isn't ideal). Also does anyone know, now that it's been out for a while, about how long the 1.5 Li or 3.0 Li batteries last?

Comment

I haven't really tested it with either. I don't listen to too much AM. And I haven't really timed how long the 1.5 Ah battery lasts - it's been too cold still for me to spend much time outside or in my garage. Once the weather starts heating up some more, I'll give it a better test, and will post the results. Not sure if others have found any answers for you.

Comment

Is this radio battery powered only, or does it have a plug for a DC power adapter?

I'm trying to decide whether to get this one, or the big jobsite radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty556 View Post
                  Is this radio battery powered only, or does it have a plug for a DC power adapter?

I'm trying to decide whether to get this one, or the big jobsite radio.
                  This radio is battery powered only, by any of the 18 volt or 24 volt batteries. There's no other power inputs for any other AC/DC power supplies to feed it - batteries only.

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                  How does this radio do with AM stations, I'm sick of missing Glenn in the morning because all my radios are inside radios that I don't want getting messed up (lugging an Onkyo SR876 around isn't ideal). Also does anyone know, now that it's been out for a while, about how long the 1.5 Li or 3.0 Li batteries last?
                  And, now that I'm looking at the radio again, I notice that on the label/sticker that shows the model number and warnings, etc., that it shows the power usage as "18V/24V ~0.3A". So, looks like to me that it sucks 0.3 amps of juice, at either voltage, give or take. So, for the little compact 1.5 Ah 18 volt lithium ion batteries that I have, they should run it for around 5 or 6 hours. Now, I'm sure that it's going to be depending on signal reception, and how high the volume is turned up, both of which affects how much juice this little thing would be sucking up to run. But, for a little jobsite usage, with a 3.0 Ah battery and therefore lasting around 10 hours, not a bad little thing for it's compact size.

And, for what it's worth, it actually sounds better than the big Jobsite Radio. No, you can't crank up the volume as loud, but for the size, it's much clearer and still has great output.

Comment

I bought a MaxSelect radio and was very dissappointed in the AM reception as I listen to a lot of talk radio during the day. There is noise which makes it very hard to hear. I contacted Rigid and asked if they were all that way or did I just get a bad one. The answer was to take it to a repair station to get it repaired. I didn't think they would come out and say that they were all that way. Maybe they figure not many people listen to AM so why bother making a good receiver. My thought is why make it in the first place if it doesn't work right.
                    Just my opinion,
                    Ed

Comment

I ended up with this radio as part of the 3pc combo kit. I like it. Reception seems to be good for both AM and FM. I mainly work alone or not on busy sites so the lack of volume isn't an issue for me - gets plenty loud enough. The AUX feature works well, my iPod hangs in the back just perfect. There is no plug, so it must be used with a battery. In my opinion, that's the only downfall is that I have to use one of my only two batteries on the thing. Time to buy more I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        the little compact 1.5 Ah 18 volt lithium ion batteries that I have, they should run it for around 5 or 6 hours. Now, I'm sure that it's going to be depending on signal reception, and how high the volume is turned up, both of which affects how much juice this little thing would be sucking up to run. But, for a little jobsite usage, with a 3.0 Ah battery and therefore lasting around 10 hours, not a bad little thing for it's compact size.
                        I own multiples of each battery and have Tested the run times myself. The numbers quoted above are not even close to the results I saw. With a full charge on both the 1.5amp model # R840085 and 3.0amp model # R840083 both of which were Brand new batteries working on their first charges and used for a mixture of FM radio and ipod, the results I got:

1.5 amp ran for 14 hours non stop
                        3.0 amp ran for 36 hours non stop

Mathematically speaking the 3.0 hyper lithium ion R840083 is far superior to its little brother. Tested the 1.5 first and expected the 3.0 to last double the time since there is 2 rows of 5 batteries packed into it versus the single row of 5 in the 1.5. Gotta say I was impressed when the radio kept going past this mark!!

Comment

Welcome to The Forum Toolman9.

Comment

Not a big fan of the compact batteries no matter the brand because of the lower endurance or run time. Thanks for posting your battery results

Comment

ill be interested to see the results in a couple of years when they have logged some play time, and thanks for the welcoming. Hope the info helps someone

Comment

Working...
                              X