Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lithium Lithium Lithium

Streamer, Kanxrus, et al:

Gentlemen, please search past threads for answers and more FAQ-type responses regarding these questions. No need to cover past discussions again. There have been lots of feedback and opinions, including some from Ridgid themselves, regarding the lithium battery charging issues and other common questions. Please use the valuable information that is stored within the past threads on the forum. Thanks.

Comment

I've seen a lot of people on this forum mention they can't get the 24 volt Lithium batteries, or that they are really expensive.

In looking at the HD 'Cyber Monday' deals this morning, they have the 24 v Li Hammer drill kit for $129. Sounds like a pretty good deal for the 2 batteries and charger, and you get the drill as a bonus.

I don't have any 24 volt tools, so I don't have a problem with battery supply. Thought I would let people know in case they did not see it. Don't know, but prices might only be good for today.

Comment

That sounds right, I believe the newer DeWalt and Milwaukee V18 chargers that share the same battery connector as the NiCad will charge both, but the old chargers only handle the NiCad packs. I've been curious to know what really happens if you put a lithium ion battery in the old charger.

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
        As far as I know, old chargers do not have the
        technology required to charge a lithium battery. However any new charger that comes with a ithium tool should charge both systems. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I know that Ryobi and Dewalt systems are frontward and backward compatiable with each other. I'm not sure if anyone else's is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
          I've been curious to know what really happens if you put a lithium ion battery in the old charger.
          What will happen is that constant current of a NiCd charger will overheat and damage the cells, most likely causing them to explode and catch on fire. LiIon are best charged with pulse current.

What's up with the constant desire to stick a square peg into the round hole?

Ever tried filling up your car with strawberry jam to see if it runs?

Comment

Originally posted by streamer View Post
            Several ?? Can the lithium batteries be charged with the older 18 volt chargers? Can the lithium batteries be used on the older 18 volt tools? Can the new tools with the lithium batteries run using the older 18 volt batteries? Thanks

I only run Hitachi so I can't comment on other brands, but with Hitachi you can run an 18v Ni-Cd pack in a lithium pack powered drill and vice versa. As long as the powertool is rated for the voltage and the pack will fit and have correct polarity then all is well. The drill or whatever the tool might be is just using whatever power source is there, it doesn't know where the power is coming from. Later!

Comment

Gentlemen, please do a thread search, and you will find this discussed previously in multiple threads already, and quite extensively. Ridgid has also weighed in on the matter, and given their explanation/decision/announcement. No need to cover these same issues again in yet another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                Gentlemen, please do a thread search, and you will find this discussed previously in multiple threads already, and quite extensively. Ridgid has also weighed in on the matter, and given their explanation/decision/announcement. No need to cover these same issues again in yet another thread.
                Canuck....
                You are missing the point! Of course we could do a search for the previously posted info, but where's the fun in that? Doing it that way require's a boring slog through all those thread's.
                It's alot easier and more exciting to throw the question out there and sit back and see what develops. Perhaps even reopen some old wounds and ranters.
                Happy holidays........Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  Canuck.... It's alot easier and more exciting to throw the question out there and sit back and see what develops. Perhaps even reopen some old wounds and ranters.
                  That's exactly what I'm worried about - another hundred or so posts about whether or not the lithium ion batteries can be charged properly by a midget, running in circles, while bugling "Taps", and spanking a Bolivian monkey with a whiffle-ball bat.

It's been covered already. Next!

(Happy holidays / merry Christmas / happy Hannukah / cheerful Yom Kippur / etc. / etc., right back at ya, Ray!!)

Comment

Canuck....
                    You are missing the point! Of course we could do a search for the previously posted info, but where's the fun in that? Doing it that way require's a boring slog through all those thread's.
                    It's alot easier and more exciting to throw the question out there and sit back and see what develops. Perhaps even reopen some old wounds and ranters.

IE - I much more prefer people to do a "slight" amount of leg work themselves, and seach for information that is already out there, and find the answers to their questions, rather than every single new member on here posting the same question to get a quick answer/reply that they are looking for, instead of taking the initiative to find their answer. I don't mean to harp on, or disparage, new members - don't get me wrong. The more, the merrier. And this is a place to share information, and help each other out. But I just hate seeing someone post a question like "Can I use 18 volt lithium ion batteries on a tool that came with 18 volt nicad batteries?" Covered. Previously answered. A million times already. NEXT!!!

Okay, I'm better now. Back to the spirit of Christmas.

Comment

I think we need to be patient with folks who are new here or at least have missed out on the whole lithium /charger debates. Best that I can remember is that after we discussed and argued this question to death, Ridgid said the lithium batteries could safely be charged on any Ridgid charger. Now some of us are not convinced that is safe or true, but that's what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I think we need to be patient with folks who are new here or at least have missed out on the whole lithium /charger debates. Best that I can remember is that after we discussed and argued this question to death, Ridgid said the lithium batteries could safely be charged on any Ridgid charger. Now some of us are not convinced that is safe or true, but that's what they said.
                        Atta boy Frank! Now see, that's the kind of response I was hoping for. Things have become somewhat predictable and way to civil on this forum as of late. What we need is a good old rip roaring controversy to bring the salivating polarists out of the woodwork........Ray

Comment

Atta boy Frank! Now see, that's the kind of response I was hoping for. Things have become somewhat predictable and way to civil on this forum as of late. What we need is a good old rip roaring controversy to bring the salivating polarists out of the woodwork........Ray
                          Ray, hope I didn't start a problem here. Personally I'm sticking with the nicads, Home Depot had a two pack 18volt for $79.97 2.5AH. Figure I could spend the extra money on the Ridgid radio with charger. The radio does come with a charger, right? I could'nt help myself, sorry.

Comment

Frank...."Ridgid radio with charger." You are a cut up! I'm glad you're here to provide a little stability. I'm getting concerned about Canuck. First he want's members to search out info for themselves, then he's talking about "spanking monkey's" Animal abuse this close to the christmas season!

Comment

First let me say, my "hobby" is racing high-end r.c. cars. We've been using lithium technology for several years now and I know all about proper care, maintenance, charging, storing, etc, etc, etc involving lithium batteries. Sure, the application is different, but the guidelines still apply. Next, I thought this was a "public" forum. If so, instead of being a jerk off and busting people's balls who have legitamate questions or concerns (even if it's been gone over 1,000,000 times) maybe answer their questions instead of making them feel like idiots (since you obviously know everything about everything). If this offends you, Canuck, tough. It's the nature of your responses on this particular post that drive people away. Believe it or not, I'm sure there was one day that you didn't know it all and looked to others for help as well. Think about it.
                              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Originally posted by King Dork View Post
                                First let me say, my "hobby" is racing high-end r.c. cars. We've been using lithium technology for several years now and I know all about proper care, maintenance, charging, storing, etc, etc, etc involving lithium batteries. Sure, the application is different, but the guidelines still apply. Next, I thought this was a "public" forum. If so, instead of being a jerk off and busting people's balls who have legitamate questions or concerns (even if it's been gone over 1,000,000 times) maybe answer their questions instead of making them feel like idiots (since you obviously know everything about everything). If this offends you, Canuck, tough. It's the nature of your responses on this particular post that drive people away. Believe it or not, I'm sure there was one day that you didn't know it all and looked to others for help as well. Think about it.
                                I think these Forums have a life of their own and after a while most of the senior members assume everyone here must know everything that has happened in the past. A while back I started posting on "candlepower" Forum. The Forum has all sorts of folks interested in flashlight, batteries and such and most of the people are really very knowledgeable. They are also not very tolerant of newbies asking questions that have been asked over and over again. I took some flack over such a question and said something similar in response. It would be helpful if new members are instructed to use a search prior to posting, just to see if there is a quick answer to a simple question. I'm sure there will continue to be folks new to the Forum who will ask such questions and personally I see no harm in offering a little history. I guess some guys just got sick of the prolonged debates and assumed the issue was settled for all time. My advice is to keep posting in good spirits and get to know the general good nature of this wonderful site. Take care, Frank.

Comment

Working...
                                X