• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lithium Lithium Lithium

There is also another way:

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...a+NiCd+charger

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. Even though I'm new to this forum, I am by no means new to tools. When one of our crew, foremen, or other trades we work with need tool advise, they come to me. I joined this forum to help those who have questions and concerns. Even though I consider myself very knowledgeable, I too need advice and suggestions from time to time and would hope to be able to come here for that knowledge. If someone posts a question or concern, then it is important to that individual and the guys who've "been around" should respect those concerns (even if it's been "gone over" before or seems stupid to you). If one can't offer that sort of professionalism, then they shouldn't take part in a public forum. People looking for knowledge will never bother me. Those who have no patience for this, I have no patience for them. I look forward to sharing knowledge with all of you from this point forward. GET SOME ! !
      You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Originally posted by King Dork View Post
        That's what I'm talking about. Even though I'm new to this forum, I am by no means new to tools. When one of our crew, foremen, or other trades we work with need tool advise, they come to me. I joined this forum to help those who have questions and concerns. Even though I consider myself very knowledgeable, I too need advice and suggestions from time to time and would hope to be able to come here for that knowledge. If someone posts a question or concern, then it is important to that individual and the guys who've "been around" should respect those concerns (even if it's been "gone over" before or seems stupid to you). If one can't offer that sort of professionalism, then they shouldn't take part in a public forum. People looking for knowledge will never bother me. Those who have no patience for this, I have no patience for them. I look forward to sharing knowledge with all of you from this point forward. GET SOME ! !
        King,

I believe the majority of the individuals that frequent/read the threads on this forum have no problem with repetitive inquiries or even the simplest of questions, however trivial they may seem. I don't read everything, don't answer most, and stop by too infrequently to consider myself in any way in control of any portion of this fine forum, but the one thing I do like about it is it accomodates everyone whether a new or old topic. Welcome to the form, and in my opinion, Ask Away!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
          When we had the extended discussions a while back regarding "Ridgid" lithium batteries and what chargers were safe to use, the final answer from Ridgid if my memory serves me right was the batteries themselves had the protective circuitry which allowed them to be charged on any "Ridgid" charger including the older nicad ones. Some of us do not accept that answer, but far be it from me to open an old wound. Personally if I was going to invest in the lithium batteries, I would use the newer "for Lithium" charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            When we had the extended discussions a while back regarding "Ridgid" lithium batteries and what chargers were safe to use, the final answer from Ridgid if my memory serves me right was the batteries themselves had the protective circuitry which allowed them to be charged on any "Ridgid" charger including the older nicad ones. Some of us do not accept that answer, but far be it from me to open an old wound. Personally if I was going to invest in the lithium batteries, I would use the newer "for Lithium" charger.
            Agreed.

Comment

It would be helpful if new members are instructed to use a search prior to posting, just to see if there is a quick answer to a simple question.
              Amazing suggestion, Frankie. I love that idea - Josh should put in an additional "Best Suggestion" award in this forum, that one would be a sure-fire hit!

And, that's the gist of all I was getting to. And unlike King Dork's post suggests, I've never denied answering someone's question where I'm able to help. I was simply again suggesting what many other longer-than-me members on this forum have suggested to many other newer forum members before - use the search function for some answers first, then, whatever needs further clarification, feel free to discuss it then. Quite simply, if we rehashed everything again, we might miss something, or mis-quote somebody, or forget about a really useful tidbit of information. This forum is awesome in that there are reams of information stored within it.

And also, like I believe Frankie, Ray, Spinalzo, I say things with a little bit of a tongue-in-cheek. I try to use my emoticons as best I can to illustrate my sarcasm, twisted-humour, etc., but granted it may not have come through the best. I never mean to offend anyone, let alone new members. They may have some useful information that I can use someday down the line (speaking of which, anyone able to settle a debate/bet - anyone know how long it takes to microwave a cat before it 'splodes??).

As many people have said, the more the merrier. But this is a forum about tools. Knowing how to use them is the best knowledge we can provide. And I was simply trying to steer others towards the search tool to gain some valuable information, much more than resides between my own ears.

Comment

And I, too, vote for the Ridgid radio/charger for my money to go towards.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  And I, too, vote for the Ridgid radio/charger for my money to go towards
                  IMO BF2008 might have been more interesting if Ridgid had special-priced the current Ridgid radio/scanner as they did for the MSUV/12"SCMS. The shelves would have been empty. It may not be perfect but it would look great in my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                    IMO BF2008 might have been more interesting if Ridgid had special-priced the current Ridgid radio/scanner as they did for the MSUV/12"SCMS. The shelves would have been empty. It may not be perfect but it would look great in my shop.
                    See, but that still wouldn't be any good for me. I'm looking for the solo, MaxSelect version of the little radio that they now have in the newer 4 piece kit with the AutoShift drill.

The big jobsite radio wouldn't work out - ever notice how much radio static/interference you get on a nearby radio when you happen to be charging a battery on a charger? Man, how bad would the static end up being on the Jobsite radio while you're charging a battery on it?!?!!!

All kidding aside, I had a chance to bump into a Milwaukee/Ridgid rep on BF at a Home Depot store over in Michigan, and it's something that may happen with Christmas sales, either just before or just after, for the radio. Fingers crossed, we'll see what the upcoming holiday sales bring.

Comment

yes, the protective circuitry is called BMS or battery management system. It consists of a charge controller, current limiter, cycle and temperature logger and a pack balancer. Some manufacturers omit some components depending on cell chemistry and cost or build them into the tools or chargers. For example Bosch 10.8 v batteries do not have any circuitry inside besides a thermoresistor but tools have electronics that prevent cells overdischarge.

Having a BMS does not prevent a charger from ruining the pack if charger behaves in a way that charge controller does not expect it to. Battery communicates with the charger either via a dedicated contact or passively, where charger measures the battery parameters from time to time to determine the charge levels. Because li-ion batteries and NiCd batteries have different voltages at the same levels of charge, the charger that does not take that into account can misjudge the charge level and pump more current (and at wrong voltage) into the battery than needed, damaging cells and compromising the safety. I hope this post clarifies why it is a stupid idea to charge LiIon cells with a NiCd charger.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        Amazing suggestion, Frankie. I love that idea - Josh should put in an additional "Best Suggestion" award in this forum, that one would be a sure-fire hit!

And, that's the gist of all I was getting to. And unlike King Dork's post suggests, I've never denied answering someone's question where I'm able to help. I was simply again suggesting what many other longer-than-me members on this forum have suggested to many other newer forum members before - use the search function for some answers first, then, whatever needs further clarification, feel free to discuss it then. Quite simply, if we rehashed everything again, we might miss something, or mis-quote somebody, or forget about a really useful tidbit of information. This forum is awesome in that there are reams of information stored within it.

And also, like I believe Frankie, Ray, Spinalzo, I say things with a little bit of a tongue-in-cheek. I try to use my emoticons as best I can to illustrate my sarcasm, twisted-humour, etc., but granted it may not have come through the best. I never mean to offend anyone, let alone new members. They may have some useful information that I can use someday down the line (speaking of which, anyone able to settle a debate/bet - anyone know how long it takes to microwave a cat before it 'splodes??).

As many people have said, the more the merrier. But this is a forum about tools. Knowing how to use them is the best knowledge we can provide. And I was simply trying to steer others towards the search tool to gain some valuable information, much more than resides between my own ears.
                        You've offered an explanation, apology and humor in this post and I think it takes a big man to be so kind and humble. We are not perfect and occassionally misspeak, so I hope King Dork continues to read, post and enjoy this Forum and your posts as well.

Comment

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I recently purchased the 12 volt lithium drill from home depot. I was pleased with the performance and delighted with the size. Much to my disappointment, about 2 weeks after my purchase......one of the batterys failed. I returned to the Home Depot where I purchased the tool to buy another battery. They do not stock them. I was told that they could order them......but no one knew how long it would take. The question I would ask is......has anyone experienced similar failures with the 12 volt lithium batterys.....and where does ridgid stand on replacement.....ie....are batterys included in the warranty???

Comment

Originally posted by DanQuixote View Post
                            Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I recently purchased the 12 volt lithium drill from home depot. I was pleased with the performance and delighted with the size. Much to my disappointment, about 2 weeks after my purchase......one of the batterys failed. I returned to the Home Depot where I purchased the tool to buy another battery. They do not stock them. I was told that they could order them......but no one knew how long it would take. The question I would ask is......has anyone experienced similar failures with the 12 volt lithium batterys.....and where does ridgid stand on replacement.....ie....are batterys included in the warranty???
                            Batteries that are included with a Ridgid tool receive the LSA, those that are purchased individually are not. Go figure!
                            Under the 90 day satisfaction guarantee policy you should return the entire set to Home Depot for exchange. HD policy prohibits them from simply replacing a defective batt.
                            Home Depot is always ponderously, agonisingly, glacialously slow in providing replacement batteries for "new" style Ridgid cordless tools. Replacement batts always show up on eBay eons before they are available at the HD.
                            Hope this helps......Ray

Comment

Canuck, I waive my peace flag. I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to burning brain cells with all of you. My 2 cents on the lithium debate: I would never charge a lithium battery on a non lithium specific charger. NiCad and NiMH batteries use a completely different method of charging than lithium batteries. Unless a charger can detect what chemistry a battery is and adjust it's method of charge accordingly, you're taking a big risk. I'm sure most of us have heard how volatile lithium batteries can get when they're not happy. I agree with those who say not to use anything but a lithium specific charger. Now, let's go "play with our tools." Our old ladies won't mind.
                              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

You've offered an explanation, apology and humor in this post and I think it takes a big man to be so kind and humble. We are not perfect and occassionally misspeak, so I hope King Dork continues to read, post and enjoy this Forum and your posts as well.
                                Originally posted by King Dork View Post
                                Canuck, I waive my peace flag. I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to burning brain cells with all of you.
                                I appreciate both comments. And again, I may have been a bit too terse with the "USE THE SEARCH TOOL STUPID!" rants. But for those of us in this conversation, who were in those conversations when they started a year ago . . . . oy, vay! Yes, I need to keep in mind newer members, especially when another new thread is started on this subject matter another two months down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X