X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sander problem

I have a RDIGID 5" orbital sander (a couple of years old). The problem I have is that now it will practically stop spinning when I place it against the surface to be sanded. If I touch the surface lightly it will work normally, but when I set it down and apply (even minimum) pressure it barely spins..... any ideas of what may be wrong ?
    Last edited by yananar; 11-02-2008, 10:09 AM.

Re: Sander problem

Does the Ridgid have the Velcro pad screwed on the bottom? If it does maybe the screws have come loose. Hopefully that helps but if not I am sure someone else will come along with a better idea...Good Luck

Comment

If you registered the sander with the LSA then just contact your local repair center to have it fixed under warranty. If not, you can try to clean out some of the accumulated dust from inside the sander housing with compressed air. If that doesn't improve the sander's performance, the brushes may need to be replaced. Hope this information helps.

Comment

Once you have it fixed or cleaned let the sander do the work by itself. Minimal downward pressure is all that's necessary for best results.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thank you R Dawg.... Unfortunately I dont believe I registered the sander when I bought it....but since you mentioned it: How can I find it my product was registered ?.. that can be a good start.... as far as cleaning I did clean most of the housing around the bearing assembly but although the problem was lessened it still persists. I does not spin as much or as fast as necessary to actually sand the wood. I am applying minimum pressure (basically just holding it against the surface) and the spinning slows down to a point where it does not really attack the surface as expected. On the other hand, if a lift it and hold it at an angle it will spin at whatever speed setting I choose and rapidly strip the surface (with no pressure) just by holding the sander against the wood.... by the way (please forgive my ignorance) what or where are the brushes ???? I thank you in advance for your kind reply....

Comment

Yananar, in order to qualify for the LSA you would have sent a copy of the receipt and upc code to Ridgid or registered the tool online right after purchase. As for the brushes, they are a carbon block that makes contact with the commutator in an electric motor to conduct current. They usually need to be replaced when the length of the block is equal to or less than its height. Brush replacement is not difficult and new brushes are inexpensive. Here is a video link: http://www.ehow.com/video_4420244_re...it-sander.html
            This may or may not be a solution to the problem with your sander. Other members of the forum may have more suggestions for you. But please, if you are uncomfortable about repairing the sander yourself, then take it to a service center. Good luck.

Comment

yananar.....any luck with fixing it? My started doing the same thing and I checked the brushes (still almost new) and blew the insides out. Still doing it. I've seen the page showing the parts online, however it just numbers the parts and does not give any name or description of what they are.

Comment

Working...
              X