X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Batteries?

I would not go for the Makita Hybrid as it's not a real drill/driver or hammer drill. You would do far better with a kit which has a true hammer drill and a true impact driver. I think you would do well to look at their kits LXT218, and LXT228.

Both come with the BHP454 hammer drill, BTD141 impact driver, (1) good charger and (2) 18 Volt, 3.0 Amp Hr. Li-Ion batteries. The first comes in a molded plastic case and the latter in a cloth kit bag.

http://makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tool....aspx?ID=26666

http://makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tool....aspx?ID=26668

If you wish, later on you can add bare tools or single tool kits. Do you think you may want to have other cordless tools too? Do you ever need to drill holes over 1/2" into masonry or wood? If yes, you may want to think about a true rotary hammer drill over a little hammer drill, but they aren't the tool for drilling 1/4" holes in bricks.

DRC has a good point about the lighter 1.5 Amp Hr batteries. I don't know if it's quite that bad, but regardless they can become a PITA with short running times between charges. A hammer drill really does need good beefy batteries to work right.

================================================== =================================================

I wouldn't limit yourself to just one brand at this time either. Do look around as best you can. When it comes time to lay down your $$$ in many cases you'll do well to shop the big online tool dealers. Sometimes one dealer will run a good special, but do be sure of exactly what's you're buying. Check model numbers and kit numbers carefully.

http://makita.com/en-us/Modules/Shop/Default.aspx

================================================== =================================================

No matter what brand or Voltage you end up going for be sure of matching battery to tool and charger to batteries. You can get into some serious trouble if you miss match them. Also remember that for long run really heavy duty work corded tools are the way to go if you can deal with cords and have power.
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-06-2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Part 2

Can you give us some ideas of what you really need the tools to do for you? What is a day's work like regarding your tool needs? What size holes, how many and into what? With driving screws the same questions?

There is one big advantage to buying from Home Depot or Lowes and that's easier returns.

Many serious tool dealers don't like (or allow) people buying something to test try it only to then want to return it for something else. The difference is that talking to such dealers you are more likely of getting the right tool(s) the first time. It's their people that can make a real difference as many of them have used the tools and have a good idea what they can and can't do.

Comment

Shawn, another option is the new little kit from Makita. It's the 10.8 volt kit of theirs, with a drill/driver and a little impact gun, with two batteries, charger, and case. Right now, the Home Depot in Canada has this kit on for $199, plus it also comes with a Makita 84-piece bit set. The SKU number on this deal is 528 280, but it's only on until November 9th. It looks like a pretty good little set, seems well built and durable, like the Bosch 10.8 volt line-up.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, definitely the most helpful tool forum I've come across. An average day for me would include lots of drilling 5/8" holes in masonry and wood, obviously trying to stay in mortar joints when I'm drilling. I also put in tons of masonry anchors and lots of 3" lag bolts in roofs. I definitely need a powerful hammer drill and impact or I'll just blow through drills like they're nothing. I do plan on getting other accessory tools to keep in my truck and would like to stick with one brand if possible for the cross compatability of batteries. I think with my next check I'm going to buy some tools and if I can get a camera I'll put some videos up on youtube. I really do appreciate all the input and keep it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            Sometimes having an easy to hold and lighter weight tool is better than brute power and especially when you're on a ladder.
            FYI: Since this thread is on battery availability and you seem to be leaning towards Makita: Local HD marked down the price of two-pak Makita 1.5 Ah Li battery to $69.

FYI: Two-pak Makita 3.0 Ah Li $99
            Last edited by reConx; 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Woussko, have you ever used BTP140? Apparently no. It hammers just as good as BHP451, just slower, and is marginally weaker than a dedicated impact. That being said, non-SDS cordless drills suck when it comes to concrete (cinderblock, tile is ok), so buying a dedicated hammerdrill doesn't solve the problem. If he *really* needs a hammerdrill, then he should buy BHR240 and an SDS to smooth shank adapter.

Here's a comparison http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVsdmaAWEw
              Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I got jumped here a while back , when I commented on the stupid design of max select tools AND no 24v batteries available at HD except absurd special order pricing if even available,to run them at their top motor speed. I only have 18v NiCads and I do not use the circ saw as it is terrible compared to my older 18v Milwaukee. I consider my money spent was a waste and should have stayed with Milwaukee. I was enticed with the large kit sale thinking I could buy and add the starter 24v battery kits, which disapeared . Why create a line of tools, Max Select, that need 24v's to run best and not have battery kits? NO more Ridgid powertools for me since they have no idea how to run a powertool company that will keep buyers loyal. Oh, I see on the latest 18v circ saw , the flexible Ridgid "great idea" plastic base on the circ saw is now metal again. The NiCad 18v tools are OK but not best in any area.
                I guess ebay may be an option to sell the tools, since I do not use them as I prefer my older DW,Makita and [my preference ]Milwaukee tools. I have Ryobi as backup tools. Ryobi , same parent CO. ,actually has a better team in design in their newer green LiI tools and YOU CAN even buy LiI batteries that do not cost $100+.

Comment

DRC

I fully agree about a rotary hammer VS a hammer drill. As for the hybrid tools, I really don't like the idea of one tool trying to be many tools in one. That's me however.

reConx
                  Thanks for the FYI on the Makita batteries. Now if only they would run the same deals in my area.

Bottom line
                  I use and prefer corded except for light duty drill/driver work. I do know that power cords can be a PITA but I'm living 50 years ago still.

Comment

Until I bought the Makita SDS+ impact rotary hammer drill, corded and made in the USA. I can not imagine going back to a hammerdrill except for small holes. I drilled into a concrete 20 y.o. slab to add Redhead anchor studs, 5/8" holes , almost no vibration and fast. Used a Milwaukee sds bit. The Makita is excellent[did well in a Tools of the Trade test] and Amazon has an adapter for any SDS drill $7 ,SDS-1/2"x20 thread LH to add a 1/2" drill chuck to use my other smaller non sds drill bits too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014TKL6O

BTW, Amazon has 18v LiI 3.0aH batteries for $55 now. HD, Ridgid's version at HD, $99.

Comment

if you want to seek Batteries get here battery-pack
                      battery-pack / philips norelco shaver / Drill Shop

Comment

Working...
                      X