X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries?

I'm looking to get some of the 18v 1.5ah lithium ion batteries for my ridgid impact. I got the kit with circular saw, recip saw, hammer drill, impact, and light. I can't find the compact batteries anywhere except as part of a kit which I obviously don't need. Also why is the new "compact hammer drill" less powerful and weaker/cheaper then the old 18v li ion hammer drill they are phasing out?

Re: Batteries?

Have you tried contacting the nearest Ridgid Authorized Service Center to see if they might have the batteries?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Some HDs only stock the Ridgid 18V Li 3.0 Ah or 18V NiCad 2.5Ah max batteries for individual purchase. I got one 18V Li 1.5 Ah when I purchased the Ridgid "compact" 18V drill last year. I have no issues to report with the Ridgid drill/driver, hammerdrill or 18V Li/NiCad battery.
      Last edited by reConx; 11-09-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Shawn, for some reason this is the way Ridgid decided to market these batteries. Ridgid customers have been buying kits and selling unwanted tools, chargers and batteries on ebay, so you might find that compact battery there? Maybe someday we will see separate compact batteries and chargers sold at Home Depot. I don't understand their marketing because with all the competition out there, I think it would boost sales to both Professionals and DIY'rs if they offered all these items by themselves and not just in kits. I also think as many have suggested that they offer some kind of discount for two lithium batteries, since most Ridgid cordless tool owners would use or need two batteries. I am very impressed with my original nicads which are still going strong after several years. I would like to have a couple lithiums but at $100.00 a piece, they're just a bit too expensive for me. I also would want the charger specifically designed for the lithiums, although we have been told any Ridgid charger would do.

Comment

That's bs. If they aren't going to sell the batteries individually then I'm going to return my tool kit and buy Makita or Dewalt. The lsa is great but buying a store exclusive brand you expect a wider availability of tools and accessories then other brands and I can't even get a compact battery for my impact. I know I can get them on ebay but the whole point of ridgid is the lsa so why would I buy ridgid stuff without that?

Comment

The battery and replacement charger situation is pretty sad. I've put off buying any orange cordless tools for that very reason. If I can't just buy them at Home Depot then why go with that brand? I can get parts and service easy with many other brands of power tools.
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn2k5 View Post
              That's bs. If they aren't going to sell the batteries individually then I'm going to return my tool kit and buy Makita or Dewalt. The lsa is great but buying a store exclusive brand you expect a wider availability of tools and accessories then other brands and I can't even get a compact battery for my impact. I know I can get them on ebay but the whole point of ridgid is the lsa so why would I buy ridgid stuff without that?
              Shawn....Unfortunately it gets worse than that. Two years ago we made a commitment for Ridgid to be our primary cordless tool company. We have been generally happy with that decision and have voted with our pocketbooks as we currently have in excess of 50 Ridgid cordless tools and use them hard every day. Generally they are good performers.
              Unfortunately the MaxSelect and the 18V impact tools have been very inadaquate performers. We have a couple of Ridgid 14.4V impacts and they will run circles around either of the 18V models. The MaxSelect becomes an adaquate performer when used with 24V batts, however the Ridgid 14.4 impacts and Makita impacts from other contractors I have used are much faster. We had noticed this problem, complained to Ridgid and commented on it in this forum over the last couple of years. Now our impressions have been confirmed in a comparison test recently published by "Tools on Line." This test was very thorough and compared a number of impact tools including Ryobi and Craftsman. Unfortunately the Ridgid tool was rated as DEAD LAST. I sure hope the unacceptable results of this test will prod Ridgid to correct the serious design flaw in this tool. http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...05143&artnum=6
              The subpar performance of the MaxSelect and the 18V impact tools is a major problem for the simple reason that impact tools have become such a major tool on jobsites. The inadaquate performance of the Ridgid impact tools is obvious when they are used next to other contractors using Makita, DeWalt or other brands. Unfortunately in the machismo oriented construction business many workers receive a very negative impression of Ridgid tools overall when they see the poor performance of the impact tools.
              I sure hope Ridgid redesigns this dog and gets an improved model out in the workplace. It's unfortunate that one poorly designed tool reflects so negatively on an entire manufacturers tool line.
              Shawn......Unfortunately for your needs, not only is the Ridgid MaxSelect a poor performer, but Ridgid batteries that are not part of a tool set do not receive the LSA............Ray

Comment

Ray thanks for the link and post. My hammer drill and impact driver are my most important tools and I thought I was getting quality with Ridgid but I guess I was mistaken from their poor choice of how they package and market tools to competetive reviews like you've posted up I'll be returning my stuff. Edit: What brand do you guys think has a good combo set like the 5 piece ridgid i'm returning. Bare bones I need a hammer drill that has some guts and a good impact driver, I install satellite TV so I use them all day and don't want to invest in junk again.
                Last edited by Shawn2k5; 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Shawn

Do you want just a hammer drill / driver and an impact driver along with a charger and say 2 or 3 batteries or would you like some other tools too? You may be better off not buying a whole kit if you just want the two tools. You would do say a drill / driver as a kit and then just get an impact driver as the bare tool.

Price shopping does pay off though. If you can get say a reciprocating saw as part of a package for not much more, I would go for it.

As for brands, I personally would look hard at what Makita has in Li-Ion tools and kits. You may have to buy what you want from a serious tool dealer but there are loads of them both local and online. Sometimes having an easy to hold and lighter weight tool is better than brute power and especially when you're on a ladder.

Comment

I was thinking of the Makita too. They have a tool the BTP140 hybrid Hammer-Drill-Driver-Impact all in one and it would be perfect but I haven't been able to find very much information about it or reviews for that matter. That would be the perfect tool for me if it's not a piece of crap and can use normal drill bits. Anyone have any input?

Comment

I've washed my hands clean of Ridgid power tools as well. Ridgid customer service is useless/non-existent. I won't be purchasing any more of their junk. There are so many other brands to choose from, so why waste my money on Ridgid?

Comment

Originally posted by newman View Post
                        i've washed my hands clean of ridgid power tools as well. Ridgid customer service is useless/non-existent. I won't be purchasing any more of their junk. There are so many other brands to choose from, so why waste my money on ridgid?
                        Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn2k5 View Post
                          I was thinking of the Makita too. They have a tool the BTP140 hybrid Hammer-Drill-Driver-Impact all in one and it would be perfect but I haven't been able to find very much information about it or reviews for that matter. That would be the perfect tool for me if it's not a piece of crap and can use normal drill bits. Anyone have any input?
                          I have one, ask anything you want.

Comment

For this situation, and regarding your requirements (satellite installation), I concur with the Makita suggestion. The drill and impact kit, the 18 volt lithium, white and black version I believe, would be good I think. That kit has the smaller 1.5Ah batteries, but these tools are quite compact and light (nice for going up and down ladders), and additional batteries are easy to buy. Then, you can always add on other Makita 18v lithium tools.

Comment

please remember since makita 1.5 Ah batteries have 5S configuration (5 cells in series), they can only provide half the current of 3 Ah batteries that are 5S2P configuration. In layman's terms, forget drilling with auger bits larger than 1/2" and hole saws over 1" unless you want to ruin your batteries.

For impact drivers it doesn't really matter, low current consumption.

Comment

Working...
                              X