MaxSelect impact worst performer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaxSelect impact worst performer!

I am sad to say that a recent test conducted by "tools on Line" has confirmed our impressions of this tool through extensive use by our company over the past couple of years. The test seems to be very thorough using a combination of standardised testing and jobsite usage. Although the impact tools tested contained a couple of FYIer tools such as Ryobi and Craftsman, the simple truth is the Ridgid MaxSelect impact was the "worst performer by a wide margin." http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...05143&artnum=1
    Two years ago we made a commitment for Ridgid to be our primary cordless tool company. We have been generally happy with that decision and have voted with our pocketbooks as we currently have in excess of 50 Ridgid cordless tools and use them hard every day. Generally they are good performers.
    Unfortunately the MaxSelect and the 18V impact tools have been the exceptions as they are very inadaquate performers. We have a couple of Ridgid 14.4V impacts and they will run circles around either of the 18V models. The MaxSelect becomes an adaquate performer when used with 24V batts, however the Ridgid 14.4 impacts and Makita impacts from other contractors I have used are much faster. We had noticed this problem, complained to Ridgid and commented on it in this forum over the last couple of years. Now our impressions have been confirmed in the comparison test noted above. Unfortunately the Ridgid tool was rated as DEAD LAST. I sure hope the unacceptable results of this test will prod Ridgid to correct the serious design flaw in this tool.
    The subpar performance of the MaxSelect and the 18V impact tools is a major problem for the simple reason that impact tools have become such a major tool on jobsites. The inadaquate performance of the Ridgid impact tools is obvious when they are used next to other contractors using Makita, DeWalt or other brands. Unfortunately in the machismo oriented construction business many workers receive a very negative impression of Ridgid tools overall when they see the poor performance of the impact tools.
    I sure hope Ridgid redesigns this dog and gets an improved model out in the workplace. It's unfortunate that one poorly designed tool reflects so negatively on a manufacturers entire tool line........Ray

Re: MaxSelect impact worst performer!

Thanks for posting this story link. Interesting tests. It's a sad day with the Ridgid was beat out by the Ryobi....

Comment

actually they also reviwed cordless recip saws this issue, and I believe ridgid also came in last or really close.....................................

Comment

I just looked at the Ridgid website and truth in reporting demands a correction to my post. The Ridgid 18V impact tool we have is the old style sold as part of the NiCad sets.
        I see the new 18V LI tool set has a impact with two lights and is probably a different tool. It would be nice if Ridgid corrected the difficiencies that caused the old impacts to be such poor performers.
        Does anyone have experiance with both models?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          Thanks for posting this story link. Interesting tests. It's a sad day with the Ridgid was beat out by the Ryobi....
          That is terrible. I can't believe Ryobi beat Ridgid. I have no idea where Ridgid is going, it's getting embarrassing.

A few weeks ago I got a safety notice from Emerson tool that I needed a part for my vac so it will "REDUCE the risk of motor damage, overheating, melted plastic, smoke, and/or fire."

Come on, Ryobi?
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

18vi lion max select impact is probably the same as the lion impact which i use with a 18v lion battery and lets face it it sucks

Comment

My 24V Maxselect impact driver is embarrassing. A 100$ 14.4 Mastercrap Impact driver drives faster than this P.O.S even with my 24V bat.

I'm glad I got this P.O.S on eBay for 45$ even at that price its not worth it.

This is my 1st Ridgid tool that sucks. All its good for is taking off lug nuts off my truck now.

why would Ridgid make such a piece of crap is beyond me. I'm switching to a Makita. At least when you drive a screw it goes in...
              Last edited by Tucson; 04-02-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X