Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: considering Autoshift Drill

[quote=roadrashray;186348]
    I don't know which Makita impact is the model you posted specs for, however if you go to the "Tools on Line" test I believe you will see that both Makita's blow away the Ridgid impact. Not even close!quote]

The specs are for my Makita BTD141 which is a real light-weight high performance impact driver. Specs are only data provided by the manufacturers and your job-site experience reports are probably more accurate user information. I read that tools-online test and will avoid that max-select version but have considered the regular 18V to complement my Ridgid lineup because spec-wise it looked competitive. Hopefully the tools-online test had a defective max-select tool.............It would be nice if Ridgid would defend its products or update the tool if it is not competitive.
    Last edited by reConx; 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=reConx;186358]
      Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      I don't know which Makita impact is the model you posted specs for, however if you go to the "Tools on Line" test I believe you will see that both Makita's blow away the Ridgid impact. Not even close!quote]

The specs are for my Makita BTD141 which is a real light-weight high performance impact driver. Specs are only data provided by the manufacturers and your job-site experience reports are probably more accurate user information. I read that tools-online test and will avoid that max-select version but have considered the regular 18V to complement my Ridgid lineup because spec-wise it looked competitive. Hopefully the tools-online test had a defective max-select tool.............It would be nice if Ridgid would defend its products or update the tool if it is not competitive.
      reConx........I would also wish that the MaxSelect used in the TOL test was defective. Unfortunately my experiance with that tool is that it was probably representative of the performance we have experianced. Let me be clear, I don't want to bash Ridgid tools. Our company has made a significant investment in Ridgid tools and we would hope they would all be competative, well built, professional grade tools. We don't expect them all to be the best on the market, however we certainly don't expect a Ridgid tool to be DEAD LAST especially in such an important catagory as the very popular and highly used Impact Tool catagory. We use these tools in a professional work catagory every day and are very dissapointed that their performance is so sub standard and that Ridgid responded to my inquiry in such a cavalier manner. I certainly would have hoped Ridgid would have "fixed" the problem with the 18V LI impact tool, however that doesn't seem to be the case.
      I would appreciate a contact from ProBrand with some information that Ridgid acknowledges:
      1-It has a problem with this tool
      2-It is getting a fix
      Ridgid has an important tool with this forum to get and provide information regarding their products. I don't know to what extent they get information, however our experiance over the last couple of years is they don't seem to take advantage of the opportunity to disseminate information.......Ray
      I apologise for hijacking this guys thread for the autoshift drill. If anyone would like to discuss the Ridgid impact tool issue please go to my thread in this same section.....Ray
      Last edited by roadrashray; 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I mentioned that Ryobi introduced its version of the AutoShift drill in another country last month. I just got an email about its introduction in the US so check out the attachment:
        Name:  8f9aa874f19aa6d03391dbfc9a1571e2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  181.5 KB

and the link
        http://www.ryobitools.com/autoshift/#/home/2

Looks familiar too!
        Last edited by reConx; 11-17-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
          I mentioned that Ryobi introduced its version of the AutoShift drill in another country last month. I just got an email about its introduction in the US so check out the attachment:
          Name:  8f9aa874f19aa6d03391dbfc9a1571e2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  181.5 KB

and the link
          http://www.ryobitools.com/autoshift/#/home/2

Looks familiar too!
          Why would they launch the same thing in a DIY tool that they have in what they want everyone to believe is a "Pro" tool. If I were in the market for a pro grade tool and saw the Ryobi and Ridgid Aut Shift drills next to each other I wouldn't buy either one and would have serious doubts and the quality of it especially in the Ridgid.

Whats next the Ridgid One+ program? Oh thats right, they already have the Max Select tools.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
            Why would they launch the same thing in a DIY tool that they have in what they want everyone to believe is a "Pro" tool. If I were in the market for a pro grade tool and saw the Ryobi and Ridgid Aut Shift drills next to each other I wouldn't buy either one and would have serious doubts and the quality of it especially in the Ridgid.
            Especially if you listen to the lady in the Ryobi ad , saying how confusing shifting the drill is, but this drill decides for you.

Comment

I listened to the Ryobi commercial at the Ryobi site, and the take-away I got was that this drill was for the person that doesn't have a clue how to use a regular drill.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of the autoshift drill that would make someone go out and buy it. I am going to assume the Ridgid product is a better product than the Ryobi.

The Ridgid kit at $249 seems a bargain since the drill package alone is over $200. But ............ Why would I want to buy it; I have perfectly good Ridgid drill already (and a couple of others so I don't need a back-up).

A little off-track now, but why do all the combo kits come with drills. I have too many already; the last thing I need is another drill. How about a combo kit for already committed users of the tools!

Comment

A drill designed for the dummy is the B&D 12v Smart Select... LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                  Ray you did some tests a few months ago on the Ridgid impact drivers and I agree with your test that the max-select version was inferior to the 18V impact driver. But now both drivers are inferior to the competition? The specs for the 18V Ridgid + Makita BTD 141 are:

Impact Driver:
                  Volts: 18 V
                  Coupler: ΒΌ in. Hex Quick Coupler
                  No Load Speeds: 0-2,400 r/min = Ridgid......0-2,300 r/min = Makita
                  0-3,100 IPM...................0-3,200 IPM
                  Torque: 1,450 in.lb....................1,330 in.lb
                  I have the Ridgids 18v and maxselect also the makita and the maxselect is worst and the makita is way out front.

Comment

The Autoshift drill Combo (Drill, Impact, Radio, Light, + Li Batteries) is now down to $199.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                      The Autoshift drill Combo (Drill, Impact, Radio, Light, + Li Batteries) is now down to $199.
                      Thats pretty nice for 2 Ridgid Li batteries, Impact, Radio alone......and the extra drill

Comment

im going to wait a little longer hopefully it drops to 150 only price im willing to pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
                          A drill designed for the dummy is the B&D 12v Smart Select... LOL!
                          Obviously this isn't designed for the professional tool user. I think if you look you notice a lot of gimmic tools between Ryobi and B&D. It appears that Auto Shift is the next gimmic only it has made its way onto Ridgid tools as well. Nothing about the auto shift says "Get me, I am a professional grade tool."

Comment

Obviously this isn't designed for the professional tool user. I think if you look you notice a lot of gimmic tools between Ryobi and B&D. It appears that Auto Shift is the next gimmic only it has made its way onto Ridgid tools as well. Nothing about the auto shift says "Get me, I am a professional grade tool."
                            Agreed. I like having control - a real user of tools knows what he/she needs to do, knows when to shift gears on a friggen drill, or to get a bigger/smaller drill, etc.

Comment

Whats next the Ridgid One+ program? Oh thats right, they already have the Max Select tools.
                              Yeah, but the only problem is that the Ridgid tools (the "professional lineup of tools"), only has what, 6 different MaxSelect tools (I still say the caulking gun isn't a real tool, dangnamit!). And the "homeowner" el-cheapo brand of Ryobi has 30 (!!!!) different options in it's One+ lineup. Meanwhile, Ridgid, as the professional brand, is trying to compete with DeWalt, which themselves have 26 or so different tools (plus multiple variants of some of these) in their 18 volt lineup.

WHAT THE HECK KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!!!

Comment

The autoshift has a switch to turn off the auto mode so it stays in high.

Comment

Working...
                                X