Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
considering Autoshift Drill Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: considering Autoshift Drill

    I wanted to chime in on this post. I have watched what the forum members have had to say about this drill since it came out. I have a lot of Ridgid tools and I have been happy with them all. There a few quirky things that I wish were a little easier to use on some models like the lift mechanism on the TS2400 but as a rule they have been great. Anyway, after much contemplation, I decided to buy the R969 combo kit and I have put it to good use over the past couple of days. This is the first cordless Ridgid product that I have except for the 9.6v driver that came with the nailer kits a couple of years ago. It seems based on this thread about the autoshift that there are many opinions about how good/bad it is but not many people have actually used one. Let me say this, as far as losing operator control as posted early on, I could care less if in the last 1/2 inch of 2 1/2 inch screw that it changes gears. I built a deck and layed a subfloor with the impact driver and the autoshift drill off of one charge for each battery driving 2 1/2 screws. One of the guys working with me is a big Dewalt and Bosch guy and he used my drill/impact over his all day long. I am very pleased with this kit and if they drop the price again, I will buy another one to build up on batteries and drivers. In my opinion, it is well worth the money and I hope this helps out with anyone that is considering buying one of these drills.

    By the way, does anybody know if that charger for the 9.6v battery will charge the 18v Li batteries?

    Kevin

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: considering Autoshift Drill

      Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
      I wanted to chime in on this post. I have watched what the forum members have had to say about this drill since it came out. I have a lot of Ridgid tools and I have been happy with them all. There a few quirky things that I wish were a little easier to use on some models like the lift mechanism on the TS2400 but as a rule they have been great. Anyway, after much contemplation, I decided to buy the R969 combo kit and I have put it to good use over the past couple of days. This is the first cordless Ridgid product that I have except for the 9.6v driver that came with the nailer kits a couple of years ago. It seems based on this thread about the autoshift that there are many opinions about how good/bad it is but not many people have actually used one. Let me say this, as far as losing operator control as posted early on, I could care less if in the last 1/2 inch of 2 1/2 inch screw that it changes gears. I built a deck and layed a subfloor with the impact driver and the autoshift drill off of one charge for each battery driving 2 1/2 screws. One of the guys working with me is a big Dewalt and Bosch guy and he used my drill/impact over his all day long. I am very pleased with this kit and if they drop the price again, I will buy another one to build up on batteries and drivers. In my opinion, it is well worth the money and I hope this helps out with anyone that is considering buying one of these drills.

      By the way, does anybody know if that charger for the 9.6v battery will charge the 18v Li batteries?

      Kevin
      Kevin,

      Thanks for the insight on the autoshift drill. Have been waiting for someone's personal experience with the drill and their real world experiences. Regarding the charger that came with the 9.6v/nailer combo, I have the same combo and the single charger that came with that kit was the earlier NiCad dedicated charger and is not a good fit for the Lithium based battery products. If it was for me, I'd stick use only the charger with the Lithium-ion decal to charger the lithium batteries.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: considering Autoshift Drill

        Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
        By the way, does anybody know if that charger for the 9.6v battery will charge the 18v Li batteries?

        Kevin
        Ridgid's answer on this is that yes, it will work, but with some operating quirks and quarks (the LED lights not operating correctly, etc.). There are some of us who prefer to use the LI designed/logoed chargers, just for simplicity's sake. But according to Ridgid, you would/should be okay.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: considering Autoshift Drill

          Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          Ridgid's answer on this is that yes, it will work, but with some operating quirks and quarks (the LED lights not operating correctly, etc.). There are some of us who prefer to use the LI designed/logoed chargers, just for simplicity's sake. But according to Ridgid, you would/should be okay.

          Canuk,

          I think the final answer was given by Probrand on 2/1/2008 in a merged thread regarding the chargers:

          Quoted from Probrand 2/1/2008:

          "Hello everyone. To sum up:

          The statement from the engineers is to alleviate the concern of hazards. The statement by customer service is correct in that it speaks to "compatibility." While the lithium ion batteries will charge in the older chargers, the led lights will not function properly. Rather than go solid state to show a full charge, the led will just turn off. For that reason, customer service advises using a lithium ion charger."

          I think the general consensus is to use the NiCad charger for NiCad batteries and the Lithium "logoed" charger across the board 9.6v to 18v Lithium or NiCad batteries as stated above.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: considering Autoshift Drill

            Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
            Canuk,

            I think the final answer was given by Probrand on 2/1/2008 in a merged thread regarding the chargers:

            Quoted from Probrand 2/1/2008:

            "Hello everyone. To sum up:

            The statement from the engineers is to alleviate the concern of hazards. The statement by customer service is correct in that it speaks to "compatibility." While the lithium ion batteries will charge in the older chargers, the led lights will not function properly. Rather than go solid state to show a full charge, the led will just turn off. For that reason, customer service advises using a lithium ion charger."

            I think the general consensus is to use the NiCad charger for NiCad batteries and the Lithium "logoed" charger across the board 9.6v to 18v Lithium or NiCad batteries as stated above.
            Tomato, to-mato, I think that's about the same. Either way, the caulking gun is a goofy idea.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: considering Autoshift Drill

              I bought the combo kit a while back that comes w/ the auto-shift drill, impact, flashlight and radio. I ahve to say, I really like the drill. Granted, most people rarely, if ever, shift their drill down to the lower speed. However, I was drilling holes in a bunch of tree stumps so I could pour killer in them. The auto-shift feature was great. I would get a little ways into the stump and then the going would start to get tough. All of a sudden you could hear and feel the drill shift and then the torque would pick up and it felt like the drill was being pulled into the stump by something inside the stump. It was awesome. It made the job so much faster and easier.

              So personally, I love the feature. I used to basically always leave my drill in the normal high speed setting and sometimes it would take a long time and be pretty tough to get through really thick material. But when this drill starts to feel like you aren't making progress, it shifts and all of a sudden you are flying through the wood. It is great and I would recomend it highly.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: considering Autoshift Drill

                I purchased that drill and it is very nice. I see no room for all of the negative comments. I have used it and I like the drill better than a friends new porter cable 18 volt drill. Auto shift will save the battery life. I own it and have used it and I give it a thumbs up.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: considering Autoshift Drill

                  hey dudes, thanks for all the replies so far, i decided not to get the auto shift but instead the r82007. its the small 3/8 chuck li-ion drill without the big battery on the bottom. I used it around the house for about a month and liked it so much i bought another one for work. the dudes at work like it.. the fact that it small, light weight, has a built in light, and has enough torque to to drive a small hole saw... Its great, no problems so far. nice little unit...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X