No announcement yet.

3000psi presure washer engine speed???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3000psi presure washer engine speed???

I just bought this washer with a Subaru Robin engine and have read the manual & done a search here, but failed to find what throttle position to use when washing...
    I am assuming that it is supposed to be run at full throttle, as it states to use different nozzles for different pressures...
    Sorry to have to ask such a stupid question, but I don't know... Please tell me....
    Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
    Last edited by Tater; 11-07-2008, 04:21 PM.

Re: 3000psi presure washer engine speed???

Does that model have throttle adjustment? Most pressure washers have one of 2 ways to control pressure/flow other than changing the nozzles. Either the engine runs at full throttle and you control pressure at the unloader on the pump. Or the pump pressure is preset and you control the engine RPM to give more/less pressure.

My pressure washer offers pump adjustment and also has a nice feature that keeps the engine at a low idle during low pressure or when there is no flow. Once high pressure is needed it instantly boosts the engine RPM to full throttle. This has to help minimize gas consumption and engine/pump wear. Later!

Comment

Thanks Shadow, I think it is going to work about like you say, by setting the throttle up and it cuts back a bit when you stop washing, must have some sort of governor. One other thing, I am 5'-10" and the wand was a bit short, was killing my back and I had to get the longer (27" I think) one, but it did help a lot...
      HD here didn't have any Pump Saver so I guess I will just blow things out the best I can for winter. I did however want to use it a good bit before the take back period run out, so if anything was wrong I wouldn't be stuck with getting it to whoever to be repaired...

Comment

Even though you didn't find PumpSaver at your local HD, I'd highly recommend using it. It can be found at Lowe's and Sears as well if those are options for your area. It not only utilizes an anti-freeze additive, but also some sort of oil (mineral I think) that keeps all the internal parts in great shape when not being used. This is especially important if your water source is high in iron or other minerals. Have a good one. Later!

Comment

Thanks shadow745, they are in my area and I will definitly check them out for the Pump Saver...
          BTW-That is the Specs. (745cc) for a Honda Shadow 750, Right..?? I also ride a 750 but it is a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, love the size of the 750s and the twisties even at my age......
          (Edit)-Well it seems to be out of stock at Sears and on line Lowes don't show it but I will go by both to make sure...
          Last edited by Tater; 11-10-2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Finally found the Pump Saver at Tractor Supply, it wasn't the 6oz BE brand, but was 4oz Briggs & Stratton @ $5.29... Don't know why I couldn't find the other (6oz BE) but no one had it...
            Thanks Folks and have a good one...Tater...

Comment

To be honest I know nothing about motorcycles. My online name is from my bodybuilding/powerlifting days. A long time friend that I lifted with gave me the nickname Shadow because my physique resembled a natural version of Dorian Yates (former Mr. Olympia), who had the nickname The Shadow. The 745 part of it is something I came up with reminding me of my ability to deadlift 745 lbs. before I had to give it all up due to life threatening asthma/allergies. I had only lifted for 6 1/2 years (100% drug free I might add) and was at that level in a very short period of time considering. Carried 226 lb. at a height of 5'7" at no more than 10% bodyfat. Damn I do miss those days. But I guess staying alive is more important than being huge/strong, but not much more important. LOL.... Later!

Comment

Hi Tater

I'm glad you found the Pump Saver at TSC and the Briggs & Stratton packaging is very popular. It does help protect the pump and thus is important. Be careful as it is messy and it's good to put old newspapers on the floor under the pressure washer so as not to make a mess on your garage floor.

Just in case things go wrong if you have one, wear a face shield. Sometimes there's nasty sprayback if the threads are bum or the plastic hose busts or pulls off. It's best to play it safe if you can.

Comment

Shadow745-Funny that just happened to be the Specs. on a Honda 750 Shadow engine (745cc)...
                  woussko-A bit late reading your advice...lol... I was squatted down beside the washer and I screwed the fitting on and pushed down on the button and thought this can is a dud, I thumbed it real hard with my right thumb and before I knew it my left hand beside the discharge had a hand full of Pump Saver...lol... You know that stuff kinda burns a bit till you wash it off... Don't think you would want that stuff it your eyes...
                  Thanks Folks and have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Yeah the Pump Saver on skin or other areas isn't a good thing, but I'm convinced it works for what it is intended. I know the RV anti-freeze might be fine just the same, but I couldn't find it in my area and the PumpSaver is available at every Lowe's, Sears and HD I've visited. I know for a fact that the oil in it helps condition the O-rings and moving parts in a pump. I used my first pressure washer for about 8 years and did nothing more than drain everything and store it under our home each winter, didn't know anything like the PumpSaver existed. Last year it started acting up, like something was sticking. I used the PumpSaver in it once, let it sit a few weeks and it's been fine since. I did give it away once I bought a bigger machine which is serving me well. Later!

Comment

shadow thats probably what went wrong with my electric 1700#?? CH machine, the pressure switch or whatever would hang and it wouldn't kick the pump in till I gave it a good whack or jar, then it got so that didn't work and I trashed it... I didn't know anything about putting anything in one then as I have learned from this forum, I would have to guess that my ignorance is what trashed it, at least that's how I see it now... I'll try to take care of this one...lol...
                      Have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        I just bought this washer with a Subaru Robin engine and have read the manual & done a search here, but failed to find what throttle position to use when washing...
                        I am assuming that it is supposed to be run at full throttle, as it states to use different nozzles for different pressures...
                        Sorry to have to ask such a stupid question, but I don't know... Please tell me....

Why would you be wondering about throttle control on the 3000PSI Ridgid pressure washer?There is no throttle control devices on this machine that can be directly controlled by you.This particular Robin engine is govenor controlled and adjusts its power output automatically to offset the load being imposed upon it.Engine on/off,choke on/off and fuel valve open/closed are the only devices that can be directly controlled by you the operator.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbobeaver View Post
                          Why would you be wondering about throttle control on the 3000PSI Ridgid pressure washer?There is no throttle control devices on this machine that can be directly controlled by you.This particular Robin engine is govenor controlled and adjusts its power output automatically to offset the load being imposed upon it.Engine on/off,choke on/off and fuel valve open/closed are the only devices that can be directly controlled by you the operator.
                          That is exactly what I was told via email a week later after I ask...
                          But if you look on page 13 (maybe that is a clue) of the operator's manual, Fig. 11 in the circled insert, starting at the bottom, Fuel Valve, then up next is the Choke being shown in the closed-A Poss., right above the choke you will see a lever which on mine is connected to a throttle, which if you move it to the left increases the RPM and to the right decreases the RPM...????? The lever stays where you put it, but the RPM does change when it is to the left depending on wheather you are washing or idle... I don't think I am wrong, but I have put the Pump Saver in it for the winter, but if I get it out and going I will make certain of what I am saying... But I know for a fact the lever is there, and you can see it in the insert in the manual...lol... Could this lever have been sprung or bent on mine and staying put when it is supposed to move via a governer????????
                          Last edited by Tater; 11-14-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I took a look at mine and I now know which lever you are talking about.That lever is not meant to be moved by you in this particular application and should be pushed all the way to the left(viewed from straight on) as far as it can go and left there at all times.You want maximum power and torque going to the pump at all times and leaving this lever in the above stated position will guarantee that the engine can do that.Hope this clarifies things for you.

Comment

Thanks Turbobeaver, thats about what I thought... I have been cranking it with the lever to the right though, then moving it all the way to the left which seemed to work... I was a bit concerned due to when I first crank it the engine has a bit of a knock, like it hasn't gotten oil yet, say for something like the 1st 6-10 licks she hits, then smoothes out, don't like that at all as I also have a John Deere push mower that has a set throttle and it has the same type of knock also, wish this PW had a clutch or something to that effect on it, and that dang JD mower had a controllable throttle...

Comment

Working...
                              X