Cordless recip saw test: Ridgid comes last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cordless recip saw test: Ridgid comes last

There was a recall on the circular saw (blade guard) and recip saw (switch) soon after they came out. So any units they had in stores were sent back. If you already bought one, then you take it to a service location. There are no documented problems with the batteries.

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    My local Home Depot currently sells the DeWalt 36 volt and the Bosch 36 volt tools, have had them for the last couple years. Milwaukee V28, from what they told me at the pro desk, was stocked fall/Christmas 2006, as part of a special promo at that time. It's still available for special order.

And yeah, the Dewalt 36 volt was a dud when it first came out, according again, to the pro desk guy. They actually removed the tools, then they came back six months/year later.

Comment

No! Read the tester's comments:

Even with the orbital setting off, it only added five seconds to its cut time, still beating all but the winner.
      So add 5 seconds to the 40 second cut time, that's 45 seconds. Only 3 seconds slower than the Hilti at 42 seconds if you want to compare.

I find this really amusing that Craftsman and their "unworthy" little 20V batteries beat out all the big boys in this category.

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      Craftsman was an orbital saw which makes a huge difference because of the angle of attack between the blade and the material, it wasn't a fair competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
        Well thats not very fair, not all Home Depot associates are stupid, I have a few friends that work in the HD's around me and they really do know their stuff. In my opinon you lost all credibility when you showed that you bleed yellow. DeWalt sucks and thats from experience not just tests!
        Excellent post Ru.

Why would someone post a review to put down Ridgid, and then defend the ranking of Dewalt in the same review, as well as putting down the tools that ranked in the top three??

Can't have it both ways.

Anyway, I think this thread has run its course. I'm going to follow the instructions of my signature.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Well thats not very fair, not all Home Depot associates are stupid, I have a few friends that work in the HD's around me and they really do know their stuff. In my opinon you lost all credibility when you showed that you bleed yellow. DeWalt sucks and thats from experience not just tests!
          i never said they are stupid, I said they are ill-informed or sometimes misinformed. "Knowing your stuff" is a very relative term, I'm sure someone who uses, sells and repairs various power tools is more knowledgeable than someone who remembers specs he read on the boxes.

If you read my other posts you will see I don't bleed yellow, I just like their battery technology. I owned full makita LXT line (20+ tools) and the only ones worth the money are impacts, hybrid impact, grinder and the SDS hammer. All other tools perform average or poor compared to Dewalt/Bosch/Milwaukee/Hilti/Metabo/Panasonic.

Panasonic for example makes ridiculously good impact. They just released a jig saw too.

Comment

If scientists used your logic then any theory would be viewed as an irrelevant opinion and shot in the crib....
            I don't think you grasped the gist of my reply. I never said their opinions were irrelevant. I brought light to the fact that most magazine reviews are opinion, not gospel, and shouldn't be elevated as an infallable document. Most reviews, even those that include some scientific data still infuse a great deal of subjective judgement (opinion), even if it's something like determining what to measure, and how to weight those measurements. A little skepticism about a reviewer's opinion is healthy ...it's not dismissive, so I don't agree with your statement.
            Last edited by hewood; 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              I don't think you grasped the gist of my reply. I never said their opinions were irrelevant. I brought light to the fact that most magazine reviews are opinion, not gospel. Most reviews, even those that include some scientific data still infuse a great deal of subjective judgement (opinion), even if it's something like determining what to measure, and how to weight those measurements. A little skepticism about a reviewer's opinion is healthy ...it's not dismissive, so I don't agree with your statement.
              I kinda thought that's what you meant but then wasn't so sure. I agree magazine reviews are pretty shallow.

Comment

I owned full makita LXT line (20+ tools) and the only ones worth the money are impacts, hybrid impact, grinder and the SDS hammer. All other tools perform average or poor compared to Dewalt/Bosch/Milwaukee/Hilti/Metabo/Panasonic.
                Wanted to ask you, I know you've compared the 18v Makita grinder vs the 18v Dewalt. The makita can make more cuts but I've wondered how they compare in power. I've always figured the slower 6500 rpm on the Dewalt is because it's geared lower. The Makita spins at 10,000rpm with very little torque and stalls pretty easy. Also have you tried the 36v grinder? I have the Makita grinder and use it all the time but since I've also got 18v and 36v Dewalt groups I've been wondering if the grinders would be worth it. There is almost no good onfo out there on these tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                  Wanted to ask you, I know you've compared the 18v Makita grinder vs the 18v Dewalt. The makita can make more cuts but I've wondered how they compare in power. I've always figured the slower 6500 rpm on the Dewalt is because it's geared lower. The Makita spins at 10,000rpm with very little torque and stalls pretty easy. Also have you tried the 36v grinder? I have the Makita grinder and use it all the time but since I've also got 18v and 36v Dewalt groups I've been wondering if the grinders would be worth it. There is almost no good onfo out there on these tools.
                  Hahah, you are in luck my friend. Check out my tools:

Revised, with videos: http://forum.drc.su/review-makita-18...er-vt4425.html

Both Milwaukee and Dewalt cost ridiculous amount of money tho. I got my grinder on eBay auction (authorized dealer) for $70, which was the lowest price I've seen in 11 months (I'm very proud of this!!! ). I was sitting that auction until 5am on Wednesday night and then sniped some unsuspecting sap. They are like $215-240 now (bare tool). Buy a recon, save money. Hope this info helps.
                  Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-11-2008, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Gee, Dewalt and Makita, I would have never guessed. . .really

Comment

Gee, Dewalt and Makita, I would have never guessed. . .really

And Bosch.

Comment

I have the DC415, it's outstanding. Easily hangs with corded 4 1/2" in power. Even with the lower than usual RPM it still grinds, and handles flap and sanding discs very well.

As you probably already have found, lithium ion fade free is not really fade free, as they would like you to believe. I do notice a drop after you've been using it a while. Overall run time is great through, I have used it for something like 10-15 minutes on a battery almost constantly.

I got mine a while back when the prices weren't so bad. Lately trying to find the less common 36V bare tools at a decent price is an exercise in frustration.

Don't know what's up with DeWalt these days, I want to see more out of this line, but nothing new has come since this grinder.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post

Comment

The cells CAN do that, but DeWalt doesn't. You'll notice on the circular saw, which is one of the highest power users in the line, that it does cut the battery out under heavy blade pinch situations. What they're are trying to prevent is excessive heat so they can make sure the cells last the long haul. Also saves wasting battery power.

Dewalt doesn't have the "bog down" problem because it doesn't need to protect the battery from overcurrent, both NiCD and LiFePO4 (aka NANO) can provide insane currents (70-100 A peak) while Makita's Manganese Oxide completely loses control of it's bowels at 20 A.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                            The cells CAN do that, but DeWalt doesn't. You'll notice on the circular saw, which is one of the highest power users in the line, that it does cut the battery out under heavy blade pinch situations. What they're are trying to prevent is excessive heat so they can make sure the cells last the long haul. Also saves wasting battery power.
                            Captain Obvious strikes again !

Yes, they cut the power because you will have nearly 50 Amps going thru your motor winding which will melt the varnish and cause a short, not because cells are in trouble. Makita cuts power in fear of cell detonation. My point was that the threshold is different, providing higher peak power with dewalt. Also, the highest power hog is the DC900 and the circ is not anywhere close in power draw when you use big auger bits. I noticed they toned this down on 28v version, effectively screwing you if your drill binds because BMS detects high current on startup and kills it before your drill bit even has a chance to move in the material.

One thing we definitely agree on: DC415 is a freaking beast. I stuck a diamond disk in it once and cut a square hole in a concrete wall.
                            Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-11-2008, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Milwaukee is not the real deal for a simple reason that it has a crappy blade change mechanism which gets extremely hot, it has half or less the battery lifetime compared to DeWalt, and Dewalt is the ONLY saw where you can stick the blade 4 different ways, with horizontal being the best for flush cutting, while with other saws you have to bend the blade a lot which causes you to damage a lot of surface around the cut and grind off the blade teeth if you are flush cutting against concrete floor/wall.

The shoe in Dewalt is "OK", much better than flimsy Makita, and allows only 1/2" of blade to be unused compared to 3/4" in Milwaukee.

Given the fact that Milwaukee has a very polished platform for building recip saws and dewalt merely upgraded the motor from a 18 volt DC385 and works FASTER, I'd pick DeWalt. For a corded version I'd pick a Makita AVT recip (JR3070CT) first, Bosch RS35 second and a 15 A milwaukee as a third.

Have you actually used a Milwaukee V28 Sawzall or are you just speaking from hearsay?

I have owned a Milwaukee V28 Sawzall which I bought as part of the 4 piece set in 2006. I have never experienced problems with "a crappy blade change mechanism which gets extremely hot." In fact when I saw that in the comparison I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell they are talking about. The blade change mechanism is one of the best, if not the best, on the market and just like their corded sawzalls which are the industry standard & benchmark! I have USED a DeWalt 36 Volt Reciprocating saw and it almost vibrated itself out of my hands! At least the Milwaukee V28 has 2 speeds - 1 for wood, and 1 for metal cutting, which will save your metal blades instead of burning them out which the high speed will do. The Milwaukee batteries are also 3.0 Amp Hours Compared to the 2.2 Amp Hour DeWalt 36 volts (just to reduce their weight to say they are like an 18 volt battery in weight - the V28's actually are an 18 volt in weight). I would hedge my bets that the 28 Volt Milwaukee sawzall would last longer due to increased amp hours despite less voltage. Also, the battery charge indicator is a very handy feature on the V28's, and the weight of the sawzall is pretty good when you consider it's got a battery hanging off of it.

When you pick up the V28 sawzall the feel of the tool makes me take it seriously. When I picked up a buddies 36 Volt DeWalt reciprocating saw, it felt like a bunch of rubber and plastic that was threatening to vibrate itself apart.

Comment

Keep in mind that there's more to it than the battery amp hours. DeWalt is operating at a higher voltage which gives it a watt hour rating very close to the V28 battery. Also the higher voltage makes way for higher efficiency at a given power level. Then there's the tool design itself and how it makes use of the power. How they compare in actual real world runtime though I don't know that depends on even more factors. But I'm just saying that amp hours alone is far from the whole story.

Anyway, I do agree that the DeWalt could do with better vibration control (Bosch also scored pretty low in the article). I find after a while it gets tiring on the arms. But it's a very fast cutter and gets the job done.

Personally I like the DeWalt style blade change a lot better. The lever is so much easier to deal with when you have gloves on. Also, the horizontal blade mode is an excellent feature. I don't know how many times that's come in handy.

There's pros and cons to both tools.

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                                Have you actually used a Milwaukee V28 Sawzall or are you just speaking from hearsay?

I have owned a Milwaukee V28 Sawzall which I bought as part of the 4 piece set in 2006. I have never experienced problems with "a crappy blade change mechanism which gets extremely hot." In fact when I saw that in the comparison I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell they are talking about. The blade change mechanism is one of the best, if not the best, on the market and just like their corded sawzalls which are the industry standard & benchmark! I have USED a DeWalt 36 Volt Reciprocating saw and it almost vibrated itself out of my hands! At least the Milwaukee V28 has 2 speeds - 1 for wood, and 1 for metal cutting, which will save your metal blades instead of burning them out which the high speed will do. The Milwaukee batteries are also 3.0 Amp Hours Compared to the 2.2 Amp Hour DeWalt 36 volts (just to reduce their weight to say they are like an 18 volt battery in weight - the V28's actually are an 18 volt in weight). I would hedge my bets that the 28 Volt Milwaukee sawzall would last longer due to increased amp hours despite less voltage. Also, the battery charge indicator is a very handy feature on the V28's, and the weight of the sawzall is pretty good when you consider it's got a battery hanging off of it.

When you pick up the V28 sawzall the feel of the tool makes me take it seriously. When I picked up a buddies 36 Volt DeWalt reciprocating saw, it felt like a bunch of rubber and plastic that was threatening to vibrate itself apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X