• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless recip saw test: Ridgid comes last

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...78706&artnum=2

discuss

Re: Cordless recip saw test: Ridgid comes last

The Milwaukee comes in second, which is really first when you consider that the first place Hilti is way out from where most users would grab. Also, considering the wide range of V28 tools, you could say that Milwaukee is the real winner.

The real loser for me has to be the DeWalt 36 and the Bosch 36 - both didn't make the top three - beat out by Craftsman in 3rd place?? Yeesh....

I've heard the 36 volt DeWalt line has been besieged with problems for the last couple years - it disappears from shelves, then it comes back, problems solved.....or maybe not.

Bosch gets consistent good reviews but their small 36 volt line seems to be failing as well.

Too bad about the Ridgid - I have most MaxSelect tools except for the drill, recip, and circ saw - use the compact drill and the 18 volt batteries for the other tools.

Great tools, but the 24 volt thing never got off the ground it seems - being cleared out at HD. Ridgid is really flaky these days - autoshift drill? More like autosh!t drill....

The Milwaukee V28 is the real deal...........
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I like that the Milwaukee V28 is made like the corded Sawzalls. Most of the other cordless really aren't. For a little cordless, check out the Milwaukee M12 series HACKZALL. A cute little very handy cordless reciprocating saw and YES it can use regular blades or if you want to go one better their special blades made for it.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-08-2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I saw this test awhile ago and all I could think was that it was too bad that they weren't able to test the new Ridgid, its completely different than the maxselect. It has a new blade change, it has orbital or straigth cut, a faster stroke and more compact feels better in my hands. The stupid saftey switch isn't stupid anymore and the foot adjustment it tool free as well. I guess what I'm saying is, I like the new one a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          I've heard the 36 volt DeWalt line has been besieged with problems for the last couple years - it disappears from shelves, then it comes back, problems solved.....or maybe not.The Milwaukee V28 is the real deal...........

I sell tools and Dewalt's 36v stuff "disappearing from the shelves" is a total myth. A lot of dealers put insane markups on them and contractors refuse to buy them. People also ***** about batteries being expensive, but a Nano battery has 2.5x cycles compared to NiCd or any other LiIon at only 1.5x the cost.

Milwaukee is not the real deal for a simple reason that it has a crappy blade change mechanism which gets extremely hot, it has half or less the battery lifetime compared to DeWalt, and Dewalt is the ONLY saw where you can stick the blade 4 different ways, with horizontal being the best for flush cutting, while with other saws you have to bend the blade a lot which causes you to damage a lot of surface around the cut and grind off the blade teeth if you are flush cutting against concrete floor/wall.

The shoe in Dewalt is "OK", much better than flimsy Makita, and allows only 1/2" of blade to be unused compared to 3/4" in Milwaukee.

Given the fact that Milwaukee has a very polished platform for building recip saws and dewalt merely upgraded the motor from a 18 volt DC385 and works FASTER, I'd pick DeWalt. For a corded version I'd pick a Makita AVT recip (JR3070CT) first, Bosch RS35 second and a 15 A milwaukee as a third.

Ideally I'd like to see a dewalt 36v recip with Makita's AVT technology with a 7-step shoe.

Comment

It's just somebody's opinion who happens to have a platform for publicizing it. His (or their) favorite color is no more valid that your's. The same website reviewed hybrid saws a year or so ago, and their primary criteria was ripping speed. Nothing wrong with good ripping speed but there's a lot more aspects to choosing the right saw than that.

Next month another mag will pick another group of winners and losers....who's right? Point being...it's not gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              It's just somebody's opinion who happens to have a platform for publicizing it. His (or their) favorite color is no more valid that your's. The same website reviewed hybrid saws a year or so ago, and their primary criteria was ripping speed. Nothing wrong with good ripping speed but there's a lot more aspects to choosing the right saw than that.

Next month another mag will pick another group of winners and losers....who's right? Point being...it's not gospel.
              If scientists used your logic then any theory would be viewed as an irrelevant opinion and shot in the crib. I do a lot of research when it comes to cordless stuff, I'm not claiming to be the ultimate judge but I look at things a lot more in-depth and each tool is better at something else or for somebody else, because if there wasn't a market for them they wouldn't sell, but at the end of the day it comes down to performance for the money. I agree that their reviews are very shallow and don't even look at a major factor such as how much material you can cut on 1 battery charge.

The most important factor is how much effort and for how long a specific tool can save, and how much you pay for this luxury. Hilti can make great tools but if they cost 3 times as much as dewalt but last only 2x as long, it makes no economical sense to buy them.

Whether specific tool is bought is defined by customer willingness to shell out a certain sum of money for a specific feature set, with brand bias and marketing playing a secondary role.

The problem is that a lot of people don't have a chance to judge the tool until after they paid for it and used it, and since they made none or very little comparison of their own to other tools and are satified with whatever they have, "fan clubs" are created.

I'll be honest I absolutely love DeWalt's Nano battery technology because cells in them are far, far more superior than anything on the market today (scientifically proven, see cell specs and multiple rcgroups.com tests). As for tools, I have my favourites and not-so favourites amongst Makita, Bosch, Hilti, Milwaukee, PorterCable etc. Ridgid is not on the list (of cordless stuff) because they are toys just like rona's/GMC tools.

Comment

WOW the winner cost
                Street Price
                $629, one-battery kit $1,024 w/two batteries
                So one battery cost $400.00 I understand you have to pay for quality but its a saw. I bet most recip saw get lost, stole or desrtoyed before the saw ever wears out
                I sometimes think reviews are usefull but they can also be misleading they are trying to sell magazines and advertising

Comment

This article made my day. The lowly 20V Crafstman was the fastest cutter!

Everyone's always going on about Hilti, Ridgid, Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee etc. Yet *Craftsman* comes along and eats everyone's lunch!

The Milwaukee comes in second, which is really first when you consider that the first place Hilti is way out from where most users would grab. Also, considering the wide range of V28 tools, you could say that Milwaukee is the real winner.

The real loser for me has to be the DeWalt 36 and the Bosch 36 - both didn't make the top three - beat out by Craftsman in 3rd place?? Yeesh....

I've heard the 36 volt DeWalt line has been besieged with problems for the last couple years - it disappears from shelves, then it comes back, problems solved.....or maybe not.

Bosch gets consistent good reviews but their small 36 volt line seems to be failing as well.

Too bad about the Ridgid - I have most MaxSelect tools except for the drill, recip, and circ saw - use the compact drill and the 18 volt batteries for the other tools.

Great tools, but the 24 volt thing never got off the ground it seems - being cleared out at HD. Ridgid is really flaky these days - autoshift drill? More like autosh!t drill....

The Milwaukee V28 is the real deal...........

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                    I sell tools and Dewalt's 36v stuff "disappearing from the shelves" is a total myth. A lot of dealers put insane markups on them and contractors refuse to buy them. People also ***** about batteries being expensive, but a Nano battery has 2.5x cycles compared to NiCd or any other LiIon at only 1.5x the cost.

Milwaukee is not the real deal for a simple reason that it has a crappy blade change mechanism which gets extremely hot, it has half or less the battery lifetime compared to DeWalt, and Dewalt is the ONLY saw where you can stick the blade 4 different ways, with horizontal being the best for flush cutting, while with other saws you have to bend the blade a lot which causes you to damage a lot of surface around the cut and grind off the blade teeth if you are flush cutting against concrete floor/wall.

The shoe in Dewalt is "OK", much better than flimsy Makita, and allows only 1/2" of blade to be unused compared to 3/4" in Milwaukee.

Given the fact that Milwaukee has a very polished platform for building recip saws and dewalt merely upgraded the motor from a 18 volt DC385 and works FASTER, I'd pick DeWalt. For a corded version I'd pick a Makita AVT recip (JR3070CT) first, Bosch RS35 second and a 15 A milwaukee as a third.

Ideally I'd like to see a dewalt 36v recip with Makita's AVT technology with a 7-step shoe.
                    The reason the Dewalt 36 was disappearing from the shelves was the batteries malfunctioning - a guy at HD told me the 36 volt was malfunctioning so much that Dewalt discontinued them and they were pulled from the shelves. I believe they've since returned, but the consensus seems to be that they're just too heavy for daily use. They're heavier than the Milwaukee which is fairly hefty.

You may disagree, and that's fine, but when you place a link to a tool review you can't have it both ways. You can't choose to diss Ridgid and then defend the Makita and Dewalt when they didn't even make the top 3.

The Ridgid came last, yet the Makita and Dewalt weren't that far above it.

Comment

Well!.....I don't know. With the 18V impact tool test I agreed with the poor showing for Ridgid as we have those tools and have a lot of experiance and agreed with the result. ............We have three Ridgid cordless recip saws which we use alot. We always use them in a 24V mode and the performance has been so strong that we seldom are forced to pull our corded Milwaukee's out of the box. I feel strongly that something was wrong to cause a Ridgid 24V recip to take over 1 1/2 minutes to cut through a 6x6 with a few nails driven in it. Based on our extensive experiance with this tool I would guess around a minute or less. I accept their complaints about the blade release, the shoe, front hand hold, and on/off switch, however will say that all of those issues easily dissapear with daily use.

Comment

Some stores don't sell 36V tools because most people buy 18V. That's just how it is. For every ten 18V combo kits they sell, they might sell one high voltage set. Home Depot is only interested in things that move the fastest and they gladly make room for such products over others. Did you notice that they also don't sell V28 anymore? I can't even remember the last time I saw V28 in home depot.

Batteries malfunctioning - never heard of it. Their lithium ion batteries are very reliable actually.

The reason the Dewalt 36 was disappearing from the shelves was the batteries malfunctioning - a guy at HD told me the 36 volt was malfunctioning so much that Dewalt discontinued them and they were pulled from the shelves. I believe they've since returned, but the consensus seems to be that they're just too heavy for daily use. They're heavier than the Milwaukee which is fairly hefty.

You may disagree, and that's fine, but when you place a link to a tool review you can't have it both ways. You can't choose to diss Ridgid and then defend the Makita and Dewalt when they didn't even make the top 3.

The Ridgid came last, yet the Makita and Dewalt weren't that far above it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                          Some stores don't sell 36V tools because most people buy 18V. That's just how it is. For every ten 18V combo kits they sell, they might sell one high voltage set. Home Depot is only interested in things that move the fastest and they gladly make room for such products over others. Did you notice that they also don't sell V28 anymore? I can't even remember the last time I saw V28 in home depot.

Batteries malfunctioning - never heard of it. Their lithium ion batteries are very reliable actually.
                          My local Home Depot currently sells the DeWalt 36 volt and the Bosch 36 volt tools, have had them for the last couple years. Milwaukee V28, from what they told me at the pro desk, was stocked fall/Christmas 2006, as part of a special promo at that time. It's still available for special order.

And yeah, the Dewalt 36 volt was a dud when it first came out, according again, to the pro desk guy. They actually removed the tools, then they came back six months/year later.

Comment

a guy at HD told me
                            there, you just lost half of your credibility right there.

Asking about power tools at Home Depot is like asking a flower shop clerk about flower pot manufacturing process. Both have a general idea, everything else is hearsay.

DeWalt never had any problems with batteries, idiots at HD stuck batteries on display and people would try tools and overdischarge the batteries and they would sit there for months, BMS (battery management system) would then lock out the battery when one of the cells drops below 2 volts. So when HD reps stick it on a charger it shows a bad battery. And then the rumor mill kicks in full blast.

The reason some stores pulled the line off the shelves because A123 was sued over battery chemistry patent violation and there was a court injunction (Sep 18 2006) to stop battery production. The lawsuit proved to be frivolous and they resumed sales. The only 2 problems with 36v line was a DC305 recip saw potential switch shorting recall and 36v circular saw lower guard not closing recall, the number of affected tools was so small (a specific batch) that stores were not even required to put up posters.

V28 pack weight is 2.3 lbs and 28v dewalt is 2.4 Lbs, that's 0.1 lbs difference in the same voltage class - insignificant.

Craftsman was an orbital saw which makes a huge difference because of the angle of attack between the blade and the material, it wasn't a fair competition. They should have tested it on 0 degree orbit and see how it holds up. I'm going to test it myself at some point.
                            If it wasn't for craftsman, dewalt would have made it in top 3.

let's operate with facts and not "some guy at HD told me".

Comment

Well thats not very fair, not all Home Depot associates are stupid, I have a few friends that work in the HD's around me and they really do know their stuff. In my opinon you lost all credibility when you showed that you bleed yellow. DeWalt sucks and thats from experience not just tests!

Comment

Working...
                              X