X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throat Plates

Need some more help. Need a throat plate for my TS3660 that will accomodate my Dado set. Where is the best and most reasonable price place to get one? What other accessories are there that I might need for this saw? Thanks Triker

Re: Throat Plates

The best and cheapest place to get them is from your scrap bin. If you search for throat plate I recall there being a couple of really good descriptions on how to make them

Comment

I never buy throat plates, I make them specific to my saw out of oak.
      Some fellas make them out of plywood or flooring scraps.

A cross cut sled to me is a must.
      Push stick.
      Feather boards.
      Taper jig.
      Wixey gauge.
      Last edited by Davet; 11-12-2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I'm fairly new to this, Davet. What is a crosscut sled, and a wixey gauge? I know what push sticks and feather boards are, and have a taper jig, but don't have a clue as to what the other are. Explain please. Thanks Triker

Comment

A crosscut sled is something that allows you to push wood across the blade. Whereas a rip cut is what you do when you cut wood along the grain (long cut), a crosscut is when you cut across the grain. A crosscut sled allows you to hold the wood up against a fence and push it across the blade. This article will teach you how to make a crosscut sled.

The Wixey digital angle gauge is a handy little tool that will show you exactly the angle of your blade relative to the table. You put the little Wixey on the table and press the Zero button to zero the thing to your table top (calibrate it to the table). Then you put the gauge on the saw blade and read the angle. I use it to set my blade to any angle, actually. If I need a 7 degree angle on the blade, I know I can get there each and every time without question. It really makes the saw much more reliable and cuts more repeatable. This is the Wixey gauge at Woodcraft.

To make a zero-clearance insert for the 3650, there's a lot of threads in the Woodworking section on how to do just that. You can purchase the blanks numerous places, but it's just as easy to use scrap around the shop. I've made mine from plywood, but you can use just about any stiff, solid material. Solid oak is nice for this as it won't sag...but you gotta have 1/2" oak that you can relegate to this task. I usually don't have enough waste oak to make a ZCI with. Plywood has worked well for me. Do a search in the woodworking section on Zero Clearance Insert and you'll find lots of ideas and methods to make your own.

Good luck, triker!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by triker View Post
            I'm fairly new to this, Davet. What is a crosscut sled, and a wixey gauge? I know what push sticks and feather boards are, and have a taper jig, but don't have a clue as to what the other are. Explain please. Thanks Triker
            I don't have a wixey, but my cross cut sled is a 2'x3' piece of 1/2" MDF with a 1x3 pine board screwed along one of the factory edges, and a 23/32" plywood runner that fits into the miter slot. They give you much more support when trying to crosscut something wide than the regular miter gauge does; thus making the operation more accurate and safer (also since a sled should be zero-clearance on one side it reduces chip-out).

I made mine for something like $6 in 15 minutes.

Comment

I have gone to the Fine Woodworking site and joined for a year. I don't remember how much. They have many excellent video's on making jigs, throat plates and much more to help us newcomers. Wood Magazine has a site on the net that also has many excellent videos.

Comment

Well, I just ordered a wixey gauge and a ZCI for a TS3650. Mine is a TS3660, which I hope has same throat plate. Near as I can tell, they are same. Ordered from Highland Woodworking. Hope they are good place. Will check some instructions how to make a crosscut sled and push stick. Thanks for the help guys. triker

Comment

I have bought the Leecraft ZCI from Amazon and they are excellent.
                  They cost about 24.00 for the 3650 but are heavy and coated with melamine. They fit perfectly and are the best I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                  X