Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a TS3650

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving a TS3650

    I am the proud owner of a used TS3650; it was lightly used and very meticulously cared for ... and I saved a bunch! Now I have to move it from his home (down steps from a high front porch, onto a vehicle of some kind) and into my workshop after a drive of about 40 miles.

    When he moved it into his new house, the movers moved it assembled. Does anyone have any experience that suggests that is a bad idea? (Other than the fact that it weighs about 300 lbs. assembled, of course!)

  • #2
    Re: Moving a TS3650

    Originally posted by MGedge View Post
    I am the proud owner of a used TS3650; it was lightly used and very meticulously cared for ... and I saved a bunch! Now I have to move it from his home (down steps from a high front porch, onto a vehicle of some kind) and into my workshop after a drive of about 40 miles.

    When he moved it into his new house, the movers moved it assembled. Does anyone have any experience that suggests that is a bad idea? (Other than the fact that it weighs about 300 lbs. assembled, of course!)
    I suggest removing at least the wings, that will make the saw much lighter. Removing the motor would help with both footprint (so you don't smash it into something) and also weight.

    Keeping the legs makes it a bit bulkier, but probably not too much heavier.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Moving a TS3650

      I got mine used and had to take it out of a basement. I have a bad back and even disassembled it was a tough job. I strongly urge you to take the advice already given and take it apart! Best of luck with this quality tool, I am very happy with mine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Moving a TS3650

        Other than the weight, if too much pressure is put on the aluminum fence rails in the moving process, they willl bend and be ruined, so remove them or caution everyone not to use them for lifting or tying down the saw.

        Removing the motor assembly is very easy (open the belt cover, lift and remove belt, and then loosen the two bolts that tighten the motor mount assy adjustment rods and slide the whole thing out), and will reduce the weight by about 75 lbs.

        If moving on a small trailer, realize the trailer has no shock absorbers, so the saw will receive significant shocks as it goes over bumps, etc. In this case, the weight of the wings will probably cause them to get knocked out of alignment. Remove them, or remove the splitter and lay the saw upside down on some padding or clean plywood. If flipping it over, I would suggest removing the blade-height crank handle.

        Just some suggestions that might make it easier.

        Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Moving a TS3650

          Originally posted by Gofor View Post
          Other than the weight, if too much pressure is put on the aluminum fence rails in the moving process, they willl bend and be ruined, so remove them or caution everyone not to use them for lifting or tying down the saw.
          This is great advice, I would not even think about moving it with the rails on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Moving a TS3650

            I bought mine used and in a basement. I pulled off the fence and rails, motor, wings, and leg asm. All fit in the back of my Scion XB

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Moving a TS3650

              You do not want people lifting it by the wings. There's a 98% chance things would be fine, and 2% that the wings would a) bend, b) crack, c) snap off.

              When we moved houses, we used movers, but I partly disassembled the TS3650 for all the reasons listed above.

              I took off the rails and both wings, as well as the motor. I left the Hercu-U-Lift on, which the moves greatly appreciated. ;-)

              Total disassembly time: about 15 minutes.

              Once moved to my basement workshop it took about 1 hour to put it back together and properly aligned, etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Moving a TS3650

                Thanks everyone! You confirmed my basic thinking and I will proceed in that fashion. As a "newbie" I suspect that you will hear more from me in the future!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Moving a TS3650

                  The move happened last Saturday. We ended up removing the motor and the rails. At that point it was light enough for two of us to pick it up (and we had three). We laid it down (after removing the blade height wheel) so the wings were vertical and supported by the pick up bed floor and by the pick up bed gate (fore and aft).

                  Within a short time getting it into my workshop, it was reassembled and fully aligned. I even made a little saw dust before I turned the lights out!

                  Thanks again!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X