Shopping For A Miter Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shopping For A Miter Saw

The BORG lowered the price on the Makita 10" slider and I just had to jump on it even though I was looking at(actually ordered but didn't think it was going to ship) the Ridgid non-slider, single bevel. The Makita has laser(I know, I know) AND a little work light(pretty cool) as well as dual bevel. It's a lot better than I'll ever be and if I build the cabinets DW would like, I'm sure I'll appreciate the bells and whistles. The Makita was reduced to $399 and of course I had a 10% coupon and 12 mos NO/NO deal. Excellent stock blade on the Makita as well. Naturally, the Ridgid CMS deal DID ship and I now have an EXTRA miter saw!

Comment

The Makita is slider still the best miter saw in my opinion. It's one of the best built and most accurate. The laser on this saw contrary to popular opinion is actually far more accurate than eyeballing the cut. It is fully adjustable even though it's not fully documented in the manual. The adjustment screws are under the sticker next to the laser area. Take time to dial it to perfection and you'll be set.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        The Makita is slider still the best miter saw in my opinion. It's one of the best built and most accurate. The laser on this saw contrary to popular opinion is actually far more accurate than eyeballing the cut. It is fully adjustable even though it's not fully documented in the manual. The adjustment screws are under the sticker next to the laser area. Take time to dial it to perfection and you'll be set.

Thanks for the tip. I've sort of figured out a 'fudge factor' with the laser on the right of the cut...time to dial it in properly.

Comment

I'll add in my 2 cents!

The main things I look for when I buy a Miter saw are.

1- Accuracy
          2- Capacity
          3- Weight
          4-Accessories

The Dewalt 718 has a Steel Detent plate that is fully adjustable. If you ever drop your saw, or it falls off your stand, you can adjust everything back to square. Milwaukee tried hard to mimic this feature, but did not do a great job! The Ridigid detent plate is not adjustable.

Capacity, The Dewalt has a 6 1/2" vertical cut capacity. 6 5/8 vertically nested crown moulding capacity, and a 16" 90 degree cut capacity. No other 12" miter saw on the market has that kind of capacity.

Weight, the Dewalt is the lightest 12 slider on the market.

Accessories, Dewalt launched the new Shadow Lline that replaces the laser and is much better than the laser. You can acutally see both sides of the blade rather than just one side. Everything is hard wired to the saw and only takes a few minutes to hook everything up. You can also get crown moulding stops that mount on and make crown moulding a snap.

For me, it's a no brainer! I'd go with the DW718

Comment

Dewalt screwed up with the DW718. They cheapened the saw and went with thinner rails than the older DW708. This saw has too much head deflection for finish work. If you want a great 12" SCMS, go with the new Milwaukee.

Comment

The DW717 has a similar issue as 718 uses the same build but in 10" it has less flex and is lighter, about the same cut cap. as the 12" but as you all know 10" blades are much cheaper to buy. I use it as a construction saw, my Makita LS1013L for fine work and that saw is excellent , made in USA too[not the blade though], I do not like the small fences though.
              I like the new Milwaukee saw too, interesting that the went with the tubes below like the older Makita design.
              Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Hello, I bought a Ridgid R4121, IIRC, it is a 12" non-slider. It goes to 9.5". I prefer a non-slider, less complicated (read less to go wrong, IMO). It is head and shoulders above the cheap Craftsman I bought several years ago. It locked up on me when I started a big project so I replaced it and gave it to a friend to "trouble shoot".

I have an old Craftsman TS and am looking to replace it in the near future if all goes well. I prefer to use a TS on larger cuts.
                Last edited by jerdebson; 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM.
                Jerry

Comment

I just bought the new 12" sliding Milwaukee this morning. Used it all day and loved it. Home Depot had it for $499. They also had the 10" sliding Makita for $399.

Comment

Tossing my hat into the ring for the Bosch 10" SCMS 4410L. Usually runs about $475 - $499 with free shipping from most places.

For the 2% of the time that a 10" slider won't have the capacity you could drag out the top of the line circular saw you can buy with the money saved on the SCMS. Or take that saved money and get a Ridgid MSUV (this is the best thing since sliced bread... I have the old version and love it.)

But if you compare quantitative capacity comparisons, you'll find that a 12" slider is only marginally better. For that slight increase in cutting capacity you are trading for: increase blade deflection, increased blade cost, decreased blade selection, greater weight (in most cases), 230-50% increase in cost.

If you feel you absolutely must have a 12" slider, take a look here and plan to get up EARLY on Black Friday:
                    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21486

Comment

Just some food for thought. If you can live without a slider, most HDs have reduced the price of the Ridgid R4121 dual-bevel compound miter saw to $249 (formerly $349). It is a very serviceable tool. There are a few little picky things I don't particulary like (the bevel-stop bolt is a bit cumbersome to use; laser drifts off the cut line when you lower the blade), but so far cuts are smooth and accurate, and it's a positive steal for $249.

Comment

I have the 12" Hitachi ($199 at Lowe's) single bevel, and it is great!

There are times that I wish I had the slider, but I plan to add a table saw to the mix in the future, and using the $300+ savings on the miter will go towards that.

I have the Makita Magnesium Hypoid circ saw and it is great as well. I suggest you look around HD and Lowe's for the clearance section and see what tools you can get there. The Hypoid was only $150 as part of HD's clearance here and I have seen plenty of other tools at HD and Lowe's for great prices recently in the clearance section!

For the cordless sets, I've been doing a lot of research myself and have posted here a few times, spoken to contractors, etc. and here is what I've found:

DeWalt-very powerful, but batteries do not last as long
                        Milwaukee-great set overall, probably the most durable to drops, impact, etc., but again, batteries do not last long
                        Makita-Not quite as strong or durable, but very solid and the batteris last very long
                        Ridgid-lifetime warranty is a perk for this set and it has some of the pros/cons of the sets above. Personally I don't like the feel of the Ridgids and ruled them out based solely on that, personal choice again.

I will likely go with the Makita set when I have the $$$$$

Happy Shopping!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yuntrips View Post
                          Just some food for thought. If you can live without a slider, most HDs have reduced the price of the Ridgid R4121 dual-bevel compound miter saw to $249 (formerly $349). It is a very serviceable tool. There are a few little picky things I don't particulary like (the bevel-stop bolt is a bit cumbersome to use; laser drifts off the cut line when you lower the blade), but so far cuts are smooth and accurate, and it's a positive steal for $249.
                          I agree. I just bought one a few days ago and it works very good. I just did a few ajustments to the laser and I was good to go. This saw replace a older miter saw that had no bevel.
                          The dual bevel is a dream to use. As for a Slider they are just to big and heavy to move around. If I need a big cut I use my table saw.
                          R4121 at $250 was a deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X