Shopping For A Miter Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping For A Miter Saw

I'm looking to purchase a 12" dual bevel miter saw with a slide.
    I've been pricing and comparing and I've pretty much narrowed it down to DeWalt and Ridgid. HD has the DeWalt DW718 for $679.00 and the Ridgid MS1290LZA for $549.00.
    Here is the catch; I'm a novice as far as carpentry goes, but I want to get something I can grow into rather than learn on something I'll have to sell in order to progress as my skills improve and that just as I'm getting comfortable with the saw.
    Any veterans available for suggestions and tips?
    I'm not looking for a brand loyalist but rather someone who's familiar with miter saws.
    Thanks,

Re: Shopping For A Miter Saw

A little more info would be helpful. What is your goal? Are you leaning toward constuction type activities, cabinet making, furniture building? All of the above?
    Jim

Comment

Well, my wife and I just started remodeling our home and I believe she'll want me to do all that you mentioned and more. I made an agreement with her in that if we are going to remodel all I ask is that we get the right tools for the job. Presently we are getting ready to replace a shower that had ceremaic tile with a three piece shower insert and then by December we will be redoing the kitchen.
      I'll be cutting molding, plywood, base boards and eventually I'll be repairing my shed and building a swimming pool deck.
      Sorry for the lengthy reply but thanks so much for the help.

Comment

I have the Dewalt 12" sliding compound and it is overkill. The 10" Bosch would have been fine for all the moulding, trim and other rough cuts I've been making. I like your thinking and what you said to your wife because as your skill grow it pays to have good tools. I would consider a good 10 or 12 inch not sliding mitre saw and a better table saw for those long rips. You should aslo be thinking good circular saw since many cuts do not require the precision of these large machines. Consider the Ridgid cordless kits for both demo and building, it is great not having to drag power cords around all day and these batteries charge fast and give good service. Keep posting, and good luck.

Comment

I have a ten inch non-sliding compound mitre saw and even though it is good enough for most cuts, I wish It was sliding. My neighbor has the sliding and it comes in mighty handy at times--especially with wider boards. Unless you are planning on some heavier construction, I don't know if I would opt for the 12", tho.

Comment

Frankiamrz you mentioned I shouldn't get the sliding mitre. Is that because the slide would effect the accuracy when cutting? You also recommended the Ridgid cordless set. Is the recomendation based on Ridgid having the better product or moreso on brand loyalty? I am presently looking at the DeWalt DC6PAKIA for $579.00 at HD. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Why would you prefer the 10" as opposed to the 12" slider?
              I thought about the weight difference but I keep coming back to having that extra cutting difference as little difference as it may be.
              It would save me a couple dollars but I know that pretty soon there should be some pretty good sales popping up.

Comment

Originally posted by stvboy View Post
                Why would you prefer the 10" as opposed to the 12" slider?
                I thought about the weight difference but I keep coming back to having that extra cutting difference as little difference as it may be.
                It would save me a couple dollars but I know that pretty soon there should be some pretty good sales popping up.
                If you go non-sliding I think you should get a 12". If you go sliding, I think if there is a cost or weight savings, 10" is a reasonable compromise, because the slide gives you the larger crosscut capability. I don't think the extra depth will matter.

It is easier keep a non-slider accurate.

I have a 12" non-slider.

Comment

Based on my own experience, you won't ever need a 12" sliding to do 95% around your house, and the 5% you will need it for you personally probably won't tackle. you can get a 12 inch heady duty single compound for well under $400 and that is plenty of saw for around the house. I'm not gonna tell you what brand you should get but I would definately suggest a smaller saw, just because its bigger dosen't mean that it less of a saw, a lot of professional trim installers use 10" non-sliding saws. Also there is a difference on spending the money and buying a good saw you can grow into and buying a saw your going to have to upgrade from, and a 10" from either Dewalt, RIDGID, Makita or Hitachi are all saws you can definatly grow into. As far as other tools go, for around the house the Ryobi lithium ion tools are stellar. They are half price of other brands lithium ion tools, work very well for their price point and will do what you need them to do around the house. Also their One Plus system has over 30 tools that will work off the same batteries and the tools are very low cost, although not the best they will do the job around the house.
                  http://www.ryobitools.com/promo/

Comment

I don't think accuracy is an issue regarding the mitre saws, sliding or non sliding. I do think paying more for the 12" if you do not need it is a waste of money. Chances are most if not all the cuts you will be making both finish mitres and straights in lumber can be done with a smaller mitre saw, circular saw and table saw. I am not a professional but have owned and used my Ridgid 5 piece 18volt nicad set for years without a problem. I'm sure you will have similar good service from the DeWalt, your choice. I would like to see Ridgid offer a greater selection of cordless tools, but the hammerdrill, reciprocating saw, circular saw and impact wrench cover many of the cordless tool needs you would have for home use. Ridgid does have a good warranty to consider. I have always opted for bigger, more powerful tools, but that has not always been necessary or cost efffective. Get good quality tools that will do the jobs you have in mind.

Comment

I have a ridgid 12" slider. i got lucky and bought it on sale a couple years ago for $399 and that was the big selling point for me. luckily mine doesnt seem to have the accuracy problems some people complain about with them. if you get a 12" slider get the MSUV stand to go with it unless you have a place you are going to leave it because they are a real bear to lug around without banging them into something. As others have stated most things i have used mine for i could get by on a non slider, but there have been many times i have used my miter saw just because it had the capcity and leaves a nice straight edge.

Comment

Stvboy,

Lots of good advice you have been given here about tools. Here is some more info on miter saws

If you will be cutting 2x6 material with a miter saw you will need a 12" or a sliding 10". If not just get a 10" miter saw. Stay away from lasers as they are not really that accurate. Keep in mind weight. Moving a 12" slider around the job is not that fun. I am very fond of Makita miter saws, but I am not brand loyal. Something I would highly recommend you get is a portable miter saw stand.

You mentioned getting the 6 piece DeWalt kit. I own the 4 piece kit and I really don't like it. I go through 4 batteries a year, and the power curve is terrible.

I would recommend you take a good look at the Milwaukee 2690-24.
                        http://www.toolup.com/milwaukee/2690-24.html The lithium batteries are awesome and the fuel gauge on the battery is a nice touch. I own the 28v version but that kit would probably be overkill for you. Excellent warranty on the tool and batteries.

No matter what tools you buy, please post what you bought and your opinion when you get them.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

One thought on this is to get the 10" non-slider to save cash for a table saw. With the table saw you can crosscut large pieces. It opens up a new world of possibilities. Of course, a 12" slider is a great thing to have, and I've often wondered if that should be my next purchase. My current Delta is in pretty rough shape, and it won't maintain accuracy. A good compound miter saw is a great thing to have, but a table saw is also a great tool.

We're just trying to give you options so you make a good informed decision. Every one of the good tools means you will part with a significant amount of cash. You're doing the right things by asking for opinions and discussing the projects. Personally, I was leaning towards the Makita compound slider when I was making my decision. What I ended up doing was making jigs for the table saw so I can cut consistent 45's to make frames. When I cut large pieces (too big for my Delta, and too long to comfortably cut on the TS), I will rough cut with a circular saw, then use the jointer to clean and true one edge for the TS. Once that's done I can rip or crosscut the piece on the TS without trouble.

That's just my experience. I, too, am a novice and have learned much from the fine folks here. Another thing I'd recommend is to find a local Woodcraft store and attend some of their classes. Their intro to woodworking is a great class that will teach you how to do the things you need.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by stvboy View Post
                            I'm looking to purchase a 12" dual bevel miter saw with a slide
                            You got a lot of good advice so far on miter saws. Prices seem to be coming down on SCMS which could work out for you.

I'm not sure where your budget is but if I was in the market I would consider the Milwaukee 12" SCMS recently reduced to 499. That SCMS can be locked to function as a good double-bevel CMS but keep in mind most sliders or 12" MS are heavy and take up some space. My ten-inch SCMS covers most of my needs and larger cuts are handled by the TS or other methods described so far.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                              You got a lot of good advice so far on miter saws. Prices seem to be coming down on SCMS which could work out for you.

I'm not sure where your budget is but if I was in the market I would consider the Milwaukee 12" SCMS recently reduced to 499. That SCMS can be locked to function as a good double-bevel CMS but keep in mind most sliders or 12" MS are heavy and take up some space. My ten-inch SCMS covers most of my needs and larger cuts are handled by the TS or other methods described so far.

I agree. At that price, I'd go out on a limb and get the Milwaukee. More power/options is better than not enough. I currently use a single bevel 10 inch slider, and the dual bevel would have certainly saved me some time flipping boards to make second cuts.

The Milwaukee is a beautiful saw, but up in Canada they're still $799 plus tax.

I imagine someone will get some crazy Black Friday deal on one of these. Do let us know, to rub it in, won't you?
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X