Gas Wheelbarrow air compressor help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Wheelbarrow air compressor help

We have Ridgid Gas Powered Wheelbarrow style compressor that will fire up and run for about 10min and then die. It will fire right back up and then do the same thing over again. We drained the fuel and added new but it is still doing same thing. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Vern

Re: Gas Wheelbarrow air compressor help

I have one of these and draining the fuel will not cure a bad or dirty carb! Top of my head I would think bad or stuck float, or needle and seat problem but I would look to the carb. Now do you replace, rebuild ? I would start with cleaning it with carb cleaner and running some acetone through the tank along with fresh gas. Have you been using this machine on a regular basis or has it sat for a couple or more months? When you get it running good again and you will, add some "Stabil" to the tank and drain the carb from that little bolt on the side of the bowl. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Comment

If it runs well but then dies, try the following.

First I would try replacing the fuel tank cap with a new one, or try to make sure the tiny vent hole is open.

What can happen is that the tiny air vent hole in the cap plugs up. As the fuel level in the tank drops and no air can enter a partial vacuum is created in the fuel tank and then fuel can't flow into the carburetor. The engine will die from fuel starvation. Normally the engine will misfire and then quit. If you let it rest a minute or so it will restart and repeat the same thing.

================================================== ============================================

If the engine just suddenly quits and doesn't misfire, it may be a defective ignition coil that shorts out when it gets hot. Normally they are located under the flywheel and that requires a special puller and some skills to remove. This is best done by a small engine repair shop.

================================================== ============================================

Please post more info about what happens just before the engine quits. It might be when the head unloader unloads when full tank pressure is reached and then the throttle control slows the engine that it's miss-adjusted so the engine slows down too much and just stalls out. Please carefully observe it running and post more info. What happens during say the 30 seconds before it stops on you?

Be sure to check the oil level in the engine with it level. If low add to the full mark. Normally this is right at the point of overflow. It could be the low oil level shut down switch is shutting down your engine.

Question: How long have you had this machine and did it do it when new or is this a new problem? What it in storage or is it only run now and then? The more info you can post the better.

One thing you can do which is a good idea anyway is to put 2-4 table spoons of isopropyl alcohol based Dry-Gas or HEET into the fuel tank with fresh gasoline. This is Dry-Gas in the black bottle or HEET in the red bottle. This will remove any water from the fuel system. The can cause all kinds of wild issues.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Part 2

Please try this and report

1. Change engine oil and be sure to fill it with the correct amount of new oil of the proper type and weight. See engine owner's manual. If you need one, please post and someone on here (I'll try to help) will link you to where you can download it. This engine holds 20 Fl Oz of oil when fully drained first.

2. After filling with new oil and also filling fuel tank with clean, fresh regular or plus grade gasoline open the tank drain valves wide open and leave open.

3. Start engine and let it run. If it keep running well for 15 minutes and air blasts out the drain valves, then stop engine, let all air blow out, close valves and restart.

4. Now with things as normal let it build up pressure.

5. What happens now? Does the head unloader unload and the engine speed slow down? Does it idle smooth or does it shake and miss-fire? Dose it just quit running?

If this is a pretty new air compressor it should be covered under warranty, but sometimes it's just some little crazy thing you can fix easy yourself.

What have you tried so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Part 2

Please try this and report

1. Change engine oil and be sure to fill it with the correct amount of new oil of the proper type and weight. See engine owner's manual. If you need one, please post and someone on here (I'll try to help) will link you to where you can download it. This engine holds 20 Fl Oz of oil when fully drained first.

2. After filling with new oil and also filling fuel tank with clean, fresh regular or plus grade gasoline open the tank drain valves wide open and leave open.

3. Start engine and let it run. If it keep running well for 15 minutes and air blasts out the drain valves, then stop engine, let all air blow out, close valves and restart.

4. Now with things as normal let it build up pressure.

5. What happens now? Does the head unloader unload and the engine speed slow down? Does it idle smooth or does it shake and miss-fire? Dose it just quit running?

If this is a pretty new air compressor it should be covered under warranty, but sometimes it's just some little crazy thing you can fix easy yourself.

What have you tried so far?
          the compressor is about 3 years old. I changed fuel, used carb cleaner, and added HEET to the fuel. I fired it up and with drain valves closed it run good. When I open them (wide open) it will die after about 30 sec or so. Then will fire back up and do the same thing. I'm in the process of changing the compressor oil (looked dirty)

Comment

Changing the oil in the compressor pump is a good thing to do.

Let's see if I have this right. It's OK when idling but when running at full speed and pumping air it keeps quitting. Is that correct? If yes, it seems like fuel starvation. I would try replacing the fuel tank cap. Beyond that it could well be that the float in the carb and the needle it works need repairs. This is best done by a good small engine repair shop and be sure they do work the brand and model engine that's on your air compressor.

Right as it starts to die, does it misfire or slow down, or does it just quit like it you shut off the engine?

If not sure if there's any kind of fuel filter, but it may be pretty clogged up and replacing it may help. I would need to have that same machine here to be sure what features it has. When I get a chance I'll see if Home Depot in my area has one I can get a good look at.
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Changing the oil in the compressor pump is a good thing to do.

Let's see if I have this right. It's OK when idling but when running at full speed and pumping air it keeps quitting. Is that correct? If yes, it seems like fuel starvation. I would try replacing the fuel tank cap. Beyond that it could well be that the float in the carb and the needle it works need repairs. This is best done by a good small engine repair shop and be sure the do work the brand and model engine that's on your air compressor.

Right as it starts to die does it misfire or slow down, or does it just quit like it you shut off the engine?

If not sure if there's any kind of fuel filter but it may be pretty clogged up and replacing it may help. I would need to have that same machine here to be sure what features it has. When I get a chance I'll see if Home Depot in my area has one I can get a good look at.
              It's amazing what fresh oil can do! The old oil was only a month old but dirty. I replaced all oil, added HEET to my fuel and carb cleaner. The thing runs like a pro again. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you updated....

Comment

Please do keep us updated and it's great to read that it's back and running well again. Sometimes a tiny bit of water in the fuel system can cause wild problems. The HEET or DryGas can really make a difference there.

Comment

Working...
                X