X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid impact defect

I got a new 5 peice li-ion kit ad noticed that with the impact driver the 1/4 inch hex shanked bits often stay stuck in the "collet" and need a pair of pliers to take them out, often requiring 2 guys to break them loose. If you look closely at the bit you will notice a small rub point near where the cut is in the shank where the collet locks.

Its a very anoying problem to a otherwise great tool.

Re: New Ridgid impact defect

Are you using the correct quick connect bit?? I once used a 3 sided drill bit in an impact that was never intended for use in an impact, and it got so lodged in there that I had to use a press to yank it out!

Comment

ohh yeah there the correct bits, I had a dewalt impact before that I used the same bits and never had that problem, I will try filing the bits tomorrow, however i should not have to grind my bits this thing is deigned for it!

Comment

that problem is not relegated to only the 18v impact driver. i have 3 of the 14.4 drivers and had the same problem with one of them. repaired by ridgid service center and shipped to me, prepaid. love the tools and service. now, if they would just ditch the dashboard system and go back to the old ebox system!
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pas The Carpenter View Post
          I got a new 5 peice li-ion kit ad noticed that with the impact driver the 1/4 inch hex shanked bits often stay stuck in the "collet" and need a pair of pliers to take them out, often requiring 2 guys to break them loose. If you look closely at the bit you will notice a small rub point near where the cut is in the shank where the collet locks.

Its a very anoying problem to a otherwise great tool.
          We have several of the Ridgid impacts and have had no problems with bits sticking once we eliminated the "cheap" ones and now only use name ie: Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosche bits.
          Your statement that you are using bits that worked in a DeWalt driver would seem to eliminate that issue.
          I suggest:
          1-If the set is less than 90 days old, immediately return it to HD for a replacement.
          2-Try a new heavy duty set such as the the DeWalt impact tool bits. There is a remote possibility that the DeWalt driver you were using put a "wear" mark in the bits that causes the bits to stick when used in the Ridgid impact. I know that sounds like a remote possibility, however I have seen stranger things over the years. Might be worth a shot.
          Good luck.......Ray

Comment

Working...
          X