X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryobi log splitter

Any one have any personal experience with the ryobi 4 ton log splitter Model RY49701. Need something for light to md. workload. Prob. 2 to 3 cords.
    got great reviews on depot site.

Re: ryobi log splitter

I do not know what your splitting but 4 tones is not much force,

the splitter I have is 12 to 13 tone of force, and I can get it stuck in some logs, we mostly have cotton wood or elm to split, which is harder than some but, I would think it would be a little light
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have to agree that 4 tons is not much power unless your wood is very dry and very small in diameter. Looking at the Ryobi splitter and reading the specs I could just see that motor burning out or the wedge getting stuck. I hate to put good money to bad and buy the same tool or machine several times instead of just spending more money upfront. The decent splitters are over $1500, 26plus tons and 8hp, anything less than that and you might as well split it by hand. If you do buy the Ryobi please let us know how it holds up.

Comment

sorry I did not realise mine put out more psi than I figured it for, it has been some time since I looked at the spec, but according to similar units it would be a 20 ton, I would not buy any thing smaller, I did build mine my self, tho not a manufactured unit. and wished many a time I would have gone up to a 5" inch cylinder in it, instead of the 4"

it is similar to this unit from norther tool, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6905_200316905
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i bought the task force 5 ton splitter instead of the ryobi and it kicks ***! Split half a cord today, took care of it easily. Like the small storage space it takes up.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
            i bought the task force 5 ton splitter instead of the ryobi and it kicks ***! Split half a cord today, took care of it easily. Like the small storage space it takes up.
            Glad you like your purchase and good luck. I watched a Youtube video of the machine in use and they used really small pieces of wood. I would like to see the machine splitting larger diameter logs to show what it can and cannot do. I saw the only spec as 20" logs but nothing about the diameter which is very important if you have big logs.

Comment

10" diameter is supposed to be the limit, but i cheated. I know, i could be injured or damage tool, but i did any way!

Comment

Most of the wood I have to split is between 16-24 inches in diameter and I'm using a maul and sledge hammer for those logs. The smaller stuff splits fine with a maul unless it's too wet. I know the only splitter for the bigger wood will be a big gas powered machine. Still, for a ten inch log that electric machine will save you a lot of work! Thanks for the information, it was helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X