Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Question about impact drivers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about impact drivers

    I'm a new poster and you probably have seen this question posted a gazillion times, but I'm not familiar with your search processes and which forum to search in here, but could use your help.

    If I were to walk into Home Depot and want to buy an impact driver around the 14.4 cordless or so variety and want the best bang for the buck, which would you recommend for a homeowner that does a few DIY things around the house and work shed?

    I'm no where close to being proficient, but enjoy doing fixit and other small projects when I have the time? My next task I'm gonna build a work bench after Xmas and want the impact driver to make the process easier, plus will have a few other things I have in mind to use it for also.

    Also, how about factory reconditioned tools? Would you buy any of those?
    Last edited by jimtnc; 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Question about impact drivers

    Originally posted by jimtnc View Post
    I'm a new poster and you probably have seen this question posted a gazillion times, but I'm not familiar with your search processes and which forum to search in here, but could use your help.

    If I were to walk into Home Depot and want to buy an impact driver around the 14.4 cordless or so variety and want the best bang for the buck, which would you recommend for a homeowner that does a few DIY things around the house and work shed?

    I'm no where close to being proficient, but enjoy doing fixit and other small projects when I have the time? My next task I'm gonna build a work bench after Xmas and want the impact driver to make the process easier, plus will have a few other things I have in mind to use it for also.
    There is a sale on the Ryobi 18V Drill + Impact Combo with two of their smaller lithium batteries for $159 and you can pick any other free One+ tool.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Question about impact drivers

      You might check on the internet at CPO. I have bought re-furbished tools from them and they have been more than good. I bought a Metabo hammer drill for my son's birthday that is factory refurbished and it was an excellent buy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Question about impact drivers

        Sorry but I am going to bleed my yellow and black here:

        I just picked up the Dewalt DC827 and am still using the XRP batteries I already have. I really like the compact size and power of this impact. I also found on youtube it drives lags faster than the makita. I have had no problem too tighten 3/4 bolts to bolt on the blade of a snow plow. Haven't tried it on lags yet but I am sure it will do fine. Not sure about best price but I know a 14.4 version of the same impact is available.

        About the reconditioned tools, from my experience I have done very well. I have bought Refurbs from Tool King and was very worried before the package got here but with a return policy and warranty I gave it a go. I was very pleased with the quality and in my cases they were pretty much brand new items.

        Good Luck

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Question about impact drivers

          Jim.....I don't know of any current 14.4V impact tools that I would recommend as a low cost tool for a DIYer. Most of the companies have moved on to concentrating on 18V cordless. I have never tried one, however there have been several positive posts on this forum about the Ryobi 18V impact. This tool is available alone or in a myriad of combination sets. As we move towards x-mas the discounts usually get deeper. One other thought, is many of the cordless tool companies have recently introduced 12V impacts powered by lithium ion batteries. This includes Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, and a couple of others. One of these might be a fit for you. good luck......Ray

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Question about impact drivers

            Okay, appreciate the input, guys. I was kinda looking at that 14.4 Ridgid, but the Ryobi may be an alternative (always heard not so nice things about Ryobi, though). I don't seen any sense of a homeowner putting a lot of money into one tool for around the house stuff. Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Question about impact drivers

              Originally posted by jimtnc View Post
              Okay, appreciate the input, guys. I was kinda looking at that 14.4 Ridgid, but the Ryobi may be an alternative (always heard not so nice things about Ryobi, though). I don't seen any sense of a homeowner putting a lot of money into one tool for around the house stuff. Thanks.
              We have a couple of the Ridgid 14.4 impacts and they are excellant tools. The reason I didn't recommend them for you is:
              1-You stated you are a DIYer and would be using the impact for a few jobs around the house. If memory serves the Ridgid 14.4 impact is no longer available in a kit, therefor by the time you purchase the impact, charger, and batteries seperately, you have a very expensive tool. ($400) The 14.4 impact is also stuck with the very heavy 2.5Ah Nicad batts.
              Now if you already have a Ridgid 14.4V drill with batteries and charger then it is a good decision as I believe the 14.4 impact is around $100.
              2-The 18V and 12V I suggested have the newer technology lighter LI batts which makes for a more balanced and easier to use tool. Makita has 18V LI kits with impact, drill, charger and two batts for under $300 and under $200 when you can catch a sale which will happen sometime around the x-mas season.
              Last edited by roadrashray; 11-22-2008, 11:31 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Question about impact drivers

                Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                Makita has 18V LI kits with impact, drill, charger and two batts for under $300 and under $200 when you can catch a sale which will happen sometime around the x-mas season
                FYI: BF HD has what you may need: Makita 18V hammerdrill+impact combo $299>199
                Two Li batteries, case, charger
                (don't let the hammerdrill discourage you, its a lightweight power tool)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Question about impact drivers

                  jimtnc....that ridgid 14.4 driver is an animal. i have 3 of them and they have more guts than the ridgid 18v max select impact driver. if its priced competetivelty with the ryobi, i'd go ridgid for the lifetime service agreement. no sense buying a tool twice when once will do.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Question about impact drivers

                    Mu suggestion, get Bosch PS40.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Question about impact drivers

                      Hey, great replies guys, and a lot of refining of the info. I looked at he Ryobi's +1 yesterday at HD and it looks like a good deal IF the quality of the product is better than it used to, or what I used to hear it was - not good. I like the LI power feature rather than the heavier types. Is the current quality of the Ryobi's better than it used to be a few years ago, or was that negative propaganda?

                      roadrashray - yes you were right, I am sort of a DIY and I won't be paying $400 for an impact driver (thanks for that clarification), but I heard the Ridgid's are pretty good tools even if I don't use it that much so that's why I was looking that way. Maybe a sale item or recond may pop up. I'm in no rush, but it is that time of year when things will be priced well.

                      reConx - thanks for that update. I was looking at the Makita pack and I really don't need a "hammer" drill, so thanks for clearing that up for me.


                      Another question: I've been seeing the 9 and 10 rated LI power packs and have no clue how that rates with the 12/14.4/18V of all the others. Is there a difference or are the lower LI's underpowered?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Question about impact drivers

                        Originally posted by jimtnc View Post
                        Hey, great replies guys, and a lot of refining of the info.
                        Another question: I've been seeing the 9 and 10 rated LI power packs and have no clue how that rates with the 12/14.4/18V of all the others. Is there a difference or are the lower LI's underpowered?
                        The question is what type of DIY work do you plan to do? If you are going to stick with small projects such as installing storm doors or windows or putting on gutters, etc where you are only occasionaly driving 3-4 inch screws I would think the lower voltage impacts would run a little slow but get the job done.
                        If you plan to put in a deck or other type of job requiring a large number of 3-4 inch screws the job will be very slow and you take the chance of damaging a low power impact.
                        Hope this helps.....Ray

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Question about impact drivers

                          Alright, thanks Ray. No, my little projects won't ever be that big again at my age. Just like to tinker around fixing this and that, but I'm really tired of getting part way through with something and not having the right tool to finish or even make it an easier task to do.

                          I've got to build a couple of functional work benches for my 12x20 shed as one little project, plus a few other things I'm thinking of doing...crown molding , etc. That's the small kind of stuff I'll probably be doing, those small type projects that really eat up the time for an unskilled homeowner/DIY. I was also thinking of building a lift that spans the width close to the front of my shed to make those tractor blade changes and other things a little quicker, but I'm still mulling that over...don't know if I want to go through all that, but I have the hoist already.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Question about impact drivers

                            Originally posted by jimtnc View Post
                            Alright, thanks Ray. No, my little projects won't ever be that big again at my age. Just like to tinker around fixing this and that, but I'm really tired of getting part way through with something and not having the right tool to finish or even make it an easier task to do.

                            I've got to build a couple of functional work benches for my 12x20 shed as one little project, plus a few other things I'm thinking of doing...crown molding , etc. That's the small kind of stuff I'll probably be doing, those small type projects that really eat up the time for an unskilled homeowner/DIY. I was also thinking of building a lift that spans the width close to the front of my shed to make those tractor blade changes and other things a little quicker, but I'm still mulling that over...don't know if I want to go through all that, but I have the hoist already.
                            Jim.....Yep.......I would still recommend something like the Makita compact 18V LI impact tool because:
                            1-It is small and light enough, especially with the 1.5Ah batts, to do all but the lightest of work, yet has the power to do the tuff stuff and will hold up when you're son in law borrows it to do HIS deck. It's important to remember that impacts don't put any stress on your wrist and elbow and don't catch like driils so you don't have to worry about injury from a tool with more power. see here: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...05143&artnum=1
                            2-They have been out for awhile and most of the bugs have been worked out and they are proven performers. With the exception of the Bosch 10.4V most of the others are new on the market.
                            3-If you take advantage of the sales you should be able to find one for around the same price as the 10-12 volt impacts.
                            4-Which ever tool you decide on get one with a light. It is a great feature for working in lots of dark places especially with the challanged eyesight that we chronologically enhanced fellows have!
                            5-And lastly, it is almost x-mas, so you can put it on your gift list and not worry about how much it cost.
                            Merry x-mas...........Ray
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Question about impact drivers

                              Hello All,
                              I know it's probably been asked before but what is all you folks' take on which PRO impact driver is the best bet. Don't want anything but Lithium Ion. Currently we have some R851150 24v Ridgid drills. Have had milwaukees also. The ridgids have been so, so. We had to replace 3 combo kits already, still under 90 days. And our current combo kits sometimes act erratic. When using the drill, the battery will just die for no known reason, put it back on the charger and it will instantly go up to 4 bars and be good for hours. Crazy, no ryme or reason to it and you never know when it's going to happen. Not good when you're up 25' on a slippery metal roof with a average to steep pitch. And it's a WORK OUT just to keep from sliding off. MUST be a Murphy law thing(?)! We have noticed that if you are drill a hole that requires ALOT of torque that the batteries will seem to "DRAIN" momentarily but if you let them sit for a moment they will go back up.
                              I'm not really "sold" on any brand. I have to admit though by now we own quite a few ridgid tools and over all they have been excellent. I've owned and still do, a lot of different brands. Bosch, Skil(their 77s, not any of the other junk), hilti, ridgid, dewalt(bad luck), Makita( old stuff, good, newer stuff, bad luck,post 1990) Porter Cable(used to be good, won't buy any more)Milwaukee. I still have a DeWalt from the 60s(?), when they were part of AMF. (It,s a radial arm) So, what say ye?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X