X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita Batteries

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here but been reading a lot of the discussions and haven't come across my particular query yet, I've got two Makita 18 volt Ni- MH 2.6AH which wont charge. The broken battery symbol is coming up on my Makita charger. Can these batteries be fixed as they are rather expensive to replace or do I just bin them.

Re: Makita Batteries

Originally posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie here but been reading a lot of the discussions and haven't come across my particular query yet, I've got two Makita 18 volt Ni- MH 2.6AH which wont charge. The broken battery symbol is coming up on my Makita charger. Can these batteries be fixed as they are rather expensive to replace or do I just bin them.
    A few things to consider:
    1) Consider rebuilding the batteries as long as the repair cost is cost-effective. Check out www.mtobattery.com for example.
    2) If the drill no longer meets your expectations consider a new 18V power drill.
    3) Make sure the problem is not the charger

Comment

There are places that will refurbish the batteries with new cells but you need to make sure it's cost effective. Many times it comes to almost the same as buying new batteries.

Comment

i can rebuild your batteries

Comment

Thanks a mill guy's for the quick responses and especially to DRC=Wartex, only one small problem my friend. WE ARE APPROX 6000 MILES APART AS yOU ARE IN cANADA AND i AM IN lONGFORD iRELAND. My apologies as I should have possibly mentioned this in my original post. Anyway its good to know that they can be rebuilt as I have two of them. Im wondering now can I get it done a little closer to home. Thanks for the info.

Comment

you can buy 3Ah cells on ebay, should run you about $40 and $20 shipping. Or you can just buy a battery on ebay.

Comment

I pulled the outer casing off and there are 13 cells inside. Six double's and one single cell. The thing is I cant seem to be able to remove them from the shell and they don't appear to be held by any fixing. Do I try and remove them cell by cell or will they all come together, whatever is holding them has a firm grip. Any help here would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhorse View Post
                I pulled the outer casing off and there are 13 cells inside. Six double's and one single cell. The thing is I cant seem to be able to remove them from the shell and they don't appear to be held by any fixing. Do I try and remove them cell by cell or will they all come together, whatever is holding them has a firm grip. Any help here would be appreciated.
                it's impossible there are 13 cells, there should be 15 because you won't get 18 volt from 13 cells. 2 cells should be in the battery stub that goes inside the tool handle.

It's possible they are glued to the bottom, then you'll just have to rip them out. If the cells have carton casings, save them. They (cells) are probably spot-welded so you need to snip the tabs between them to remove the carton casings. Before you cut any tabs, draw a layout of your battery on a piece of paper with + and - marking and tab connections so you know what to connect where. Do it for both bottom and top of the battery. DO NOT short the cells even if they are discharged because they will explode and/or create electrical fire. You can buy crappy 18v batteries of other brands and use cells from them, or buy cells on eBay. Most cells will come in thin shrink-wrap casings, strip them off with a utility knife and slide the carton casings from old cells onto them. You need to use carton because during charging cells can get hot and stock shrink-wrap insulation will melt and cause a short. Cells come in different sizes: Sub-C, 2/3 Sub-C and 4/5 Sub-C. Look up the sizes on the internet, measure yours and but the right one. I think yours uses standard Sub-C. Buy cells with tabs on each end. You need a 40 watt soldering iron. Cut the tab on the (-) terminal in half and fold it so you have a small square. Solder the + tab of the previous battery to that square. You need to do this to prevent the cell from overheating, basically you don't apply heat to the bottom of the cell but to a tab folded in half.

I also suggest you use NiCd cells and no NiMh for your DIY build.

Rebuilding batteries is HARD, unless you have a spot-welding machine and been doing it forever.

Comment

Wow, You sure do know your batteries, thanks for such a detailed and explanatory answer. It seems like a lot of hassle to have to go to those lengths but I suppose if one was geared up it might not be such a big deal. Just a thought, if I did go ahead and use the cells you suggest would they be compatible with my NI-MH charger. One again thanks for the invaluable info.

Comment

check the charger, it should say right on it if it charges NiCd. I rebuilt a 12v dewalt XRP battery and I can tell you timewise it's totally not worth it unless you have a spotwelding machine (you can make one for about $200). How much is a new battery there anyway? Maybe I can buy one here and just ship it to you, I know australian prices on power tools are retarded high. BTW I sell power tools... just saying...

Comment

Working...
                    X