X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Hilti WORTH it?

I'm curious what your honest perception is of Hilti Hammer Drills as far as value is concerned. Are they worth the extravagant price?

I always heard Hilti's costed more but I sent Hilti Canada an email to get a quote just for curiousities sake, for a TE-7-C. Your average everyday hammer drill for holes under 1" - mainly for 1/4"-3/4" holes optimally if I'm not mistaken, with a chipping function. The company I worked for uses pretty much only Bosch Hammer Drills which are similar in class to the TE-7 and they cost about $200-250 each so I figured the TE-7-C couldn't cost more than say $600 considering it has a chipping function where as the Bosch drills I use do not. So I get a quote back via email - in Canadian Funds $945 for a TE-7 with one of the packages (I think the professional package). So lets say I pick the next Bosch up, which is the 7/8"s rotary hammer with chipping function (D-handle) - this is one at Home Depot right now for $327. Im pretty confident this Bosch drill could do anything the TE-7-C could do. Yet the Hilti is quoted at 3 times the price? Yes I know, the Hilti comes with a package which includes the Dust pick me upper thing but still.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid. I've used a few hilti's in the past and they're great hammer drills. The one difference between them and say a Bosch is the Hilti's seem a little more enthusiastic. I remember using a TE-74 with a 2" bit to go through an 8" wall. Yeah it took a bit of time but man that Hilti just went through it's paces like nothing. And some people say that once you get over 1" holes this is when Hilti comes into it's own.

But I ask you, is Hilti a good value? I understand you get what you pay for. But is there value in buying Hilti Hammer Drills? Or does value only apply for certain people? I'd like to think I like a good power tool as much as the next guy and I'll pay for quality. But at around 3 times the price (quoted anyways) ?
    Last edited by Scott K; 11-25-2008, 09:07 PM.

Re: Is Hilti WORTH it?

Being a priest in the Disciples of Pipe, I have made concrete "wholly" with an outdated,discontinued te 35. Yes, Hilti is worth it.

Comment

Check for a HILTI deal on eBay.....saw some smoking deals on there not too long ago.

Full price retail is for........well, you know the rest.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Hilti is "The Best" hands down!!! Worth every penny and then some. Even a beat up Hilti is worth more than a new anything else in my book. The only thing I would add is that unless you are really going to need the absolute best, there are several other brands that do a nice job. My Milwaukee Falcon has held up well under medium duty. I agree that Ebay offers some great deals. If Hilti made cars they would run forever.

Comment

I have drilled 3/8" drop in anchor holes by the hundreds over the past few months with the Bosch "Bulldog" Plumber Rick's buddy made me a sweet deal on.I would not use it often on holes larger than 1".It aint showing signs of quiting for a while.

The biggest question is how often you are realisticaly going to use it and how much money you have to blow.I don't have people throwing money at me so I don't have money to pay for something I don't need.

Comment

I own the Hilti TE-70. Got it on ebay. Its totally badass.
            Is it worth it? It is to me, but I am a self-confessed tool snob. My tools are the best of the best. If I find something better, I buy it.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yeah my company uses the Bosch Bulldogs like you DH and I've even drilled a 1" with them for one hole when they weren't rated for it and they have been pretty reliable considering what you pay for them and they get the job done, and how much abuse they take. People keep forgetting that Bosch developed the SDS chuck if I'm not mistaken.

AS for the Hilti TE70 - the concrete guys & carpenters have one on the site I'm currently working on and its a schweet machine. You can hear it purr away when they use it and it just has this enthusiasm to it that is hard to describe. And they work it relatively hard too but it hasn't let them down yet.

But it would be interesting to hear from guys who have used both extensively in similar size ranges/classes.

Comment

Owned a Hitachi for years that drills & drills. One shop I worked at had older Hitachis that were used by everyone. Everyone in a plumbing shop=abuse in my book. They looked like hell but kept on drilling.

I AM NOT talking about ANYTHING HITACHI that I have seen at a home improvement store. My only experience has been with their commercial line.

J.C.

Comment

Good point JC and worth noting. Hitachi seems to be forgotten at times when they deserve a strong recommendation. A guy I work with brought a fairly beaten up a company Hitachi Demo hammer from work home to do some chipping up his concrete basement floor so I could help him re-do his drainage and that thing hit really hard and worked great.

They also have a comparison in tools of the trade found here: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501400

This is of small rotary hammers, some with chipping functions. The hitachi was fastest at drilling holes, and the author was also impressed at how hard it hit in chipping mode for it's size. The Hilti finished in the middle of the pack.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a man's drill, my bad.

Comment

I have the Bosch Bulldog that I use for anything 3/4 and under. Great combo of speed and power. 6 years later, still going strong. I also have a Hitachi DH45 that I use in the 1" to 1.5" as well as light duty chipping. Another winner in my book. Check out reconditionedsales.com you could probably buy 4 refurb Hitachi's to 1 Hilti.

I have rented the Hilti's, and they do work well, but much like festool, I don't think the performance justifies the price.

Comment

Depends on what you need or can afford to need I guess. Bosch did have a deal on some of their hammer drills where if you buy one you get a free small grinder as a bonus.

J.C.

Comment

ah, good old brand bias. With Hilti you are paying for a service contract and not just for the tool, this is why they are so expensive. Hilti is aimed at industrial market and not your average 2-guy "commercial contractor" crews where cost of lost time due to a broken tool is so high that the cost of tool is justified. Hilti is also making a fortune on accessories. A $50 1"x12" SDS max bit made by metabo last LONGER than $114 Hilti bit and removes dust faster due to a steeper flute curve. So if you buy hilti bits you are just getting ripped off big time. Their carbide is NOT harder like they may claim. Their corded tools are quality products but cordless tools suck major *** (yes, I used them, esp impact drivers) except for 36v hammers. Powder-actuated stuff breaks unless you baby it like it's a freaking Ryobi, cheap Ramset guns work forever without cleaning. I'm not saying you don't have to clean them, but you have to clean hilti more often. I worked in structured wiring and drilled 200-300 holes a day and a $300 metabo last as long as $800 Hilti (but warranty on Hilti is better, like I said), so when it comes to cost consideration I'd rather buy 2 metabos and if 1 craps out I'll just use the 2nd one and still have money left over.

I've seen a TE56 used to chisel out 1 inch of concrete from a 6-story elevator shaft from all 3 walls (was cast too narrow), after 2 floors the drill just burned out and stated leaking oil (well, hot grease) everywhere. I was not impressed. It was replaced with bosch while hilti was repaired and bosch finished the job without a hitch.

Case in point, it depends on a particular tool and your length of application and cost of downtime, Hilti is not a "god of concrete" like many like to believe and unless your drilling brings you $50 or more per hour and you are doing it all the time, it's totally not worth it. DO NOT buy a used Hilti on eBay because they will charge a fortune to service/repair it and it will not last longer than a new Bosch. Buy a brand new Metabo, Makita (AVT-enabled one) or Bosch instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                            ah, good old brand bias. With Hilti you are paying for a service contract and not just for the tool, this is why they are so expensive. Hilti is aimed at industrial market and not your average 2-guy "commercial contractor" crews where cost of lost time due to a broken tool is so high that the cost of tool is justified. Hilti is also making a fortune on accessories. A $50 1"x12" SDS max bit made by metabo last LONGER than $114 Hilti bit and removes dust faster due to a steeper flute curve. So if you buy hilti bits you are just getting ripped off big time. Their carbide is NOT harder like they may claim. Their corded tools are quality products but cordless tools suck major *** (yes, I used them, esp impact drivers) except for 36v hammers. Powder-actuated stuff breaks unless you baby it like it's a freaking Ryobi, cheap Ramset guns work forever without cleaning. I'm not saying you don't have to clean them, but you have to clean hilti more often. I worked in structured wiring and drilled 200-300 holes a day and a $300 metabo last as long as $800 Hilti (but warranty on Hilti is better, like I said), so when it comes to cost consideration I'd rather buy 2 metabos and if 1 craps out I'll just use the 2nd one and still have money left over.

I've seen a TE56 used to chisel out 1 inch of concrete from a 6-story elevator shaft from all 3 walls (was cast too narrow), after 2 floors the drill just burned out and stated leaking oil (well, hot grease) everywhere. I was not impressed. It was replaced with bosch while hilti was repaired and bosch finished the job without a hitch.

Case in point, it depends on a particular tool and your length of application and cost of downtime, Hilti is not a "god of concrete" like many like to believe and unless your drilling brings you $50 or more per hour and you are doing it all the time, it's totally not worth it. DO NOT buy a used Hilti on eBay because they will charge a fortune to service/repair it and it will not last longer than a new Bosch. Buy a brand new Metabo, Makita (AVT-enabled one) or Bosch instead.
                            Now thats an opinion.

Anyone welcome you to the forum yet.

Comment

Liechtenstein deserves better

Comment

Working...
                              X