Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air leak in palm nailer

Hello

When I connect my palm nailer to the compressor, it's leaking air out through the top of the nailer (where I would grip it). Does anyone know the cause/solution?

Thanks

Re: air leak in palm nailer

Make sure to put a few drops of pneumatic tool oil in it first to keep the seals from rotting out. My Bostitch palm nailer did something similar, so I checked the operator's manual and had the regulated pressure higher than what the recommended pressure was (80-125 p.s.i). Once I backed it down, it stopped doing this. It will also do it if you apply too much pressure to the tool (this is a safety feature), since "gentle pressure" is recommended. Once I got use to this, the tool works beautifully. Also, if the tool is used in very cold conditions, it can leak air out of the exhaust (I've experienced this with many different types of nailers in the cold).
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try putting in a few drops of oil before next use, and see if that solves it.

It's not the pressure being too high, since the leak is present immediately after I turn the compressor on and before I even use it. And I don't think it's due to cold temps (it's been in the high 40's here, but I get the feeling you're talking much colder). If the cold does cause a leak from the exhaust, how do you handle it? Does it stop after the tool's been in use for a few minutes?

Comment

Never used palm nailers, do they recoil hard?

Comment

No

Comment

Had the same problem. I took it apart, greased the o rings and placed oil on the gasket and all the parts. No problem now. It was a HFT model.

Comment

We use our framing and roofing nailers all winter and they usually leak a little until we get them going, then it seems to stop. Sometimes putting them in front of a jobsite heater helps in the cold as well. A few extra drops of oil might help bring the seals back to life, unless it's just too late. I like the greasing the seals idea. I'll have to try that next time. An "old timer" I use to work with swore by putting a little Marvel Mystery Oil in his tools just before he finished using them. His tools were OLD, and they worked like new, so ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Snap on uses that as their air tool oil, I know many mechanics that use that too. my uncle and cousin did. I do no use it inside as I do no like the smell on nailers. 3-1 oil is also good. Do not use automotive detergent type oil. I use either silicone plumbing grease, or slick50 grease as they will not harm the rubber.

Comment

Working...
                X